Surgery Day Monday-what to take???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Day Monday-what to take???? Surgery Day Monday-what to take????

Unread 05-04-2002, 07:50 AM
Surgery Day Monday-what to take????

HI, everyone I am having my TAH BSO on Monday and really could use a good packing list. I have been going crazy getting cabinets and closets cleaned out, laundry done, grocery shopping has been taken care of and I have beend freezing dinners to cover the next month. Now I have to plan for THE day. What to take??? Thanks ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2002, 08:12 AM
What to Take...

Hi Kathy,

On the main home page (click the three princesses on the top of this page to access the home page) there is some drop down lists towards the center of the page. If you click on the Ladies In Waiting drop down list, there should be a hospital packing list there. In my opinion, however, there is way too much on that list.

Personally, I am taking the following:

gown/robe/slippers, granny panties (2 sizes larger than what I wear), warm socks, tummy pillow, my own bed pillow, cosmetics and toiletries (travel sizes), sanitary napkins for any drainage or spotting, chap stick, gum and mints, book, my insurance card and driver's license, my migrane medicine and vitamins, a portable CD player with headphones, and my cell phone and charger. (Some ladies recommend taking a calling card.) I'd also like to take a very small portable fan, if I can get away with it, since I'm very hot natured and almost roasted when I was in the hospital last month. Oh, and I plan to wear home the clothes that I wore in (since I won't be in them very long) or else just wear my gown/robe home.

Best wishes on your surgery. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

s to you!

Lisa

PS Sheesh, guess I was having another Geritol Moment!!! I was tyring to reply to your post and I accidentally posted a new thread!! The Brain Fuzzy monstor got me again!!!
AAAUUUGGGHHHH!
Unread 05-04-2002, 08:31 AM

Hi Kathy,

I know how you feel running around cleaning out cabinets-I did the same thing, it kept me from going crazy with the wait-
My surgery was 4/25-I had TAH left ovary remained,lysis of adhesions and tummy tuck-

This is my list of what I took-hope it helps:
Robe
slip on slippers
one nightshirt(button up front kind)
two pillows from home-doubled the pillow cases
a small soft blanket
my glasses and case(left contacts at home)
Lotion
linenspray(clean cotton scented from Avon)
Warm socks
Cute and funny socks for Operating room(crazy stripes)
3 pair huge size comfy cotton panties
Blistex
mints-toothbrush and paste
hair scrunchie-brush and hair gel
my own pads
small caress soap and sample size shampoo/cond
new loofah-scented shower gel
chloraseptic spray-for sore throat
a plate of cookies for surgery staff

bag for hubby with:
phone numbers
new crossword puzzle book
bottle of water
insurance card and driver's lisc-in hubby's wallet
tips for caring for your puntured princess-
(printed out from this website)

I did not take my cell phone as you are not allowed in most hospitals,they interfere with equipment

I did not take a book-couldn't have concentrated enough to read it anyway BUT I love to read and went to thwe library before surgery and stocked up at home

I wish I had taken:
a backscratcher
My own water bottle
(cuz theirs was a styrofoam cup and small plastic pitcher that tipped over three times)

I wore same clothes home as I went in

I bought a grabber(plastic arm thing that helps you retrieve items off floor or where ever) it was well worth it for the fact that all 3 of my kids LOVE playing with it

Hope this helps!

PS I took too many extra jammies (3 pair)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2002, 08:31 AM

I'm also having TAH/BSO Monday but I'm still wavering on whether or not to leave the cervix. Why are your reasons for retaining it? I've researched so many pros and cons that I can't make up my mind!!

My list is very basic as I've decided I don't want to worry about personal belongings while in hospital.

Lightweight robe that opens in front, slippers, socks, personal toiletries (hairbrush, comb, toothbrush and paste, facial soap and moisturizer, deoderant), lip balm, hard candy drops (such as Lifesavers), water bottle with spout (I don't want to have to sit up to drink), a notebook and pen to records my thoughts, questions, concerns and finally, books to keep myself occupied in case there is nothing on tv.

I decided against a tummy pillow (I'll just use hospital issue), shampoo and conditioner (I would rather wait until I got home to shower in the privacy of my own bathroom), music tapes (with books, it was just too much to have to cart home), and underwear (who wants to worry about having to pull it down when Nature (finally) calls and then have to get it back up!). I will be wearing home what I wear to the hospital; baggy sweatshirt, drawstring/elastic waist pants, overlarge underwear, shoes and socks.

If I find that I absolutely need something, I'll let my DH bring it to me. I am still contemplating whether to bring a personal shortie nightgown but probaby won't as it would most likely get stained early on and I still have to don a hospital gown.

Hope this helps. Let me know your reason of choice for keeping your cervix.

:flag2:
Unread 05-04-2002, 09:06 AM
What to bring?

I brought a lightweight sports bra as I am not comfortable being noticeably braless, especially when I have visitors. It was great to have because I was comfortable without feeling overly restricted and it didn't get in the way when the doc or nurses had to check vitals.

Also, I prefer pants PJs over nightgowns and night shirts. I found these wonderful (and cute) drawstring pant PJs at JC Penney's. The back of the pant is elastic while the front is an expandable drawstring with a very wide expansion range! They fit great the day after surgery when my tummy was very very swollen and they still very comfortable today - 5 weeks later now that my tummy is back to it's pre-surgery size (except for around the incision). They weren't expensive and they are very comfortable. The top is a t-shirt. The PJs come in pale green with a dragonfly print and lilac ith a moon and stars print. Very cute! Hopefully that's enough info fo you to find them in the catalog or on the website if you're interested.

All the best to you LIW's for a successful surgery and recovery. I'll be thinking of you!
Unread 05-04-2002, 09:15 AM
SOUNDS LIKE ME!!!

Hi Kathy!

You sound like me. The other day I cooked and froze 14 meals. My hubby knows that they are for the days that we don't have any help. I am going in on Tues. for TAH-BSO. I have opted to have the ovaries go too because od Endo, and I don't want to risk having another major surgery. It is just not worth it. But I am running around as you are. Doing the laundry, vacuuming, dusting, mopping floors. I figure, if it looks good when I go in, it can't be that bad to come home to. My hubby should be able to keep it up. I hope.

What I am packing:

New robe & slippers, 2 nighties, 3 pair of big ole granny pants, some warm socks, a tummy pillow, my pillow, chapstick, shampoo, t-brush, t-paste, a coloring book and crayons, and a radio- so I can play my Enya CD's- great to relax with. And deodorant. I am also going to wear home what I wear in.

I am all packed and ready. Just keeping busy right now.

I wish you well on Wed! I will keep you in my parayers.
Unread 05-04-2002, 09:30 AM

I think what you use depends in part on your type of surgery. Due to catheters ( one even coming home with me ), the nurses requested no panties or pads - the bed had a big pad. Though I did take 1 shower the day after, it was too difficult to repeat - all the IVs and catheters having to be disconnected - no bath seat, etc. What I actually used was far less than anticipated - or packed.

1) nightgown (short) - but could have remained in hospital
2) chapstick
3) mints
4) backscratcher
5) brush
6) linen spray ( I am funny about odors )
7) robe/slippers - for trip home

Hubby's "Treat Bag"

1) magazines ( assorted )
2) assorted crackers
3) favorite candy
4) phone numbers
5) pen
6) notepad

I actually packed more, but he only used the above. He was so sweet and appreciative. We have been married 29 years, so I tried to ease his anxiety.

Our hospital attendance left a lot to be desired. The best things that I took were my husband and best girlfriend. They were my number 1 champions!!

Best wishes and

Rayna
Unread 05-04-2002, 06:23 PM

Kathy, I took everything I could think of on all the lists, and ended up using about 1/4 of it..but that's just me. Lots of women stay longer, and need more stuff, lots handle the surgery better, and are more alert, and get bored and need things to occupy their time.

I had surgery on Wednesday morning, went home after lunch on Friday .

One of the best things I took was peppermint Lifesavers, the aftertaste of the anesthetic was glechy... I had my own sipper bottle of water, because I knew I'd knock over that dinky Styrofoam cup they always give you, and I did...if you are reaching for water, and you're groggy, it saves you a bath when you didn't want one.

I took about 3 of my own throw pillows, for my back, my neck, and any other place that needed propping, hospital pillows are usually the pits.

I refused to take a shower in the hospital, I wanted my own shower where I could sit down in the nice little plastic chair I had ready.

I got by in my 2 1/2 day stay with toothbrush, toothpaste, lifesavers, deoderant, baby powder,water bottle, pillows, socks..not once did I put on pajamas or a nightgown, I used the hospital gowns...I threw up clear to the day I left the hospital, and it's less messy to pull a gown off in front, than to try and pull it off over your head

I went home in the sweatsuit I wore in.

My husband brought paperwork from the office, and a book, and his own pillows, since he didn't leave my side once, he slept in the room with me as well.

He was the very best thing I brought to the hospital.

:inlove:

Cynthia
Unread 05-04-2002, 07:22 PM

I didnt hardly need anything i took with me. I was in so much pain and sick feeling and drugged up. I needed slippers, hair brush, tooth paste, tooth brush and something to throw my hair up. I wore the same clothes home i wore in. Thats it .. :-)

Good Luck

TamKas
Unread 05-04-2002, 07:38 PM

The only things I used during my two day stay were my Hyster/sister night shirt and crown (everyone loved this when I did my walking), my Hyster/sister book, and my hair scrunchie. Everything else was provided by my hospital including slipper-sox, toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc! The hospital volunteers even brought by newspapers, notepad and pen, and books to read on my second day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register