Alternatives for a 15cm uterus and 9cm fibroid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Alternatives for a 15cm uterus and 9cm fibroid Alternatives for a 15cm uterus and 9cm fibroid

Unread 04-15-2015, 03:08 PM
Alternatives for a 15cm uterus and 9cm fibroid

Hi everyone! My name is Cindy. I found out I had a fibroid and enlarged uterus 3 years ago. My current OB and I were taking the wait and see approach, but it has grown a bit. It started at 8cm, then with Lupron it went down to 6cm, now it's up to 9cm. Also, my uterus went from 13cm to 15.7cm.

I've seen 4 OBs. Three of them recommended a hysterectomy, my current OB recommended I hold off to do something less invasive like Acessa or a myomectomy. But now he's saying it's too big, and my only option is a mini hysterectomy. He's saying it can't be done laparascopically, because he can't do morcellation.

I'm really nervous to have a hysterectomy, especially one that's not done laparascopically. I'd love to get feedback from anyone who has been or is in a similar situation.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Alternatives for a 15cm uterus and 9cm fibroid

Check into UFE performed by an Interventional Radiologist.
My uterus and fibroid were approximately the same size. My bleeding stopped immediately and the fibroid has shrunk approximately 90%. I didn't want a hysterectomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyw75 View Post
Hi everyone! My name is Cindy. I found out I had a fibroid and enlarged uterus 3 years ago. My current OB and I were taking the wait and see approach, but it has grown a bit. It started at 8cm, then with Lupron it went down to 6cm, now it's up to 9cm. Also, my uterus went from 13cm to 15.7cm.

I've seen 4 OBs. Three of them recommended a hysterectomy, my current OB recommended I hold off to do something less invasive like Acessa or a myomectomy. But now he's saying it's too big, and my only option is a mini hysterectomy. He's saying it can't be done laparascopically, because he can't do morcellation.

I'm really nervous to have a hysterectomy, especially one that's not done laparascopically. I'd love to get feedback from anyone who has been or is in a similar situation.

Thanks!
Unread 04-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Re: Alternatives for a 15cm uterus and 9cm fibroid

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2015, 03:47 PM

Hello,

I had a few options: wait and see, low dose birth control or make the decision for hysterectomy. I did try cyclokapron for the bleeding with mixed results. My uterus was 16.5 cm and the largest fibroid was 5.8 cm. I had crazy bleeding and anemia. For me the choice was about a guaranteed solution. I had six laparoscopic incisions and my uterus was removed vaginally. The uterus needed to be cut in order to slide through. For me there have been no regrets. Do your research, explore your options and along with your Dr. choose a decision you are comfortable with. Good luck on your journey.
Unread 04-15-2015, 03:50 PM

Thank you for your response. I want a sure solution as well. I'd rather not do something if I'll have to "fix" it later. I'm so happy to hear that you've had no regrets. That's the main thing holding me back…"what if…" Your response is really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ealasaid View Post
Hello,

I had a few options: wait and see, low dose birth control or make the decision for hysterectomy. I did try cyclokapron for the bleeding with mixed results. My uterus was 16.5 cm and the largest fibroid was 5.8 cm. I had crazy bleeding and anemia. For me the choice was about a guaranteed solution. I had six laparoscopic incisions and my uterus was removed vaginally. The uterus needed to be cut in order to slide through. For me there have been no regrets. Do your research, explore your options and along with your Dr. choose a decision you are comfortable with. Good luck on your journey.
Unread 04-15-2015, 07:12 PM

A Myomectomy is still an option too. You just have to find a surgeon that is comfortable doing myomectomies. Usually a doctor will tell you it isn't an option because they are not comfortable doing it but there are surgeons who specialize in myomectomies.
My GYN recommended a myomectomy in my case for an 18.9 cm fibroid. I have at least two other fibroids and she was only going to remove two. I wanted something that treated all of them so I did a UFE three weeks ago. My fibroids are on stalks that makes the surgery easier for the surgeon but if you do research you can find cases where surgeons remove large fibroids and even numerous fibroids through myomectomy.
Unread 04-16-2015, 09:08 PM

Hi Cindyw75,

My uterus is measuring a 15cm x 12cm x 9 cm size, and I have received recommendations for laparoscopic robotic myomectomy, accessa and abdominal myomectomy. If you talk to surgeons who specialize in these types of procedures, they might be able to perform them despite the size of your uterus.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register