Burch and catheter | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Burch and catheter Burch and catheter

Unread 05-04-2002, 01:54 PM
Burch and catheter

You ladies are scaring me!
How many of you having a burch with your Hyst came HOME with a catheter and WHY?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2002, 01:58 PM
Burch and catheter

How are we scaring you?? I don't think any of us would do that intentionally. Knowledge is power and that is what this web site gives me. (and lot's of 's) Karlene
Unread 05-04-2002, 02:04 PM
cath coming home

Never dreamed that I might be coming home with a cath. If it happens, so be it. Guess you took my comment about being scared without the humor I intended. LOL...I love this site and it IS informative. I just want more info on recovery from the burch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2002, 02:35 PM
Burch and catheter

Dear Lil hellion,

What is a "burch?" Does it have something to do with a bladder tack? I have asked my DR to do a bladder tack during the TAH as I "leak" every time I sneeze, couch or laugh right now. I'm really not looking forward to the catheter either! I understand that they insert it after you've gone under and you simply wake up from your surgery and it's there. Wouldn't want to wear one home either!! I just keep telling myself, "a little pain now, the rest of my life, no more periods!!" Ocassionally, I can even be seen tapping the heels of my red shoes together.
Lolly
Unread 05-04-2002, 03:05 PM
Burch and catheter

Hi.. I am having a burch with my hyst. My MD told me that I would have the catheter in for a week to allow my bladder to stay empty all of the time and thus allow healing time..

Also anytime there is surgery there is some swelling that goes along with it.. Bladder surgery and swelling could cause urinary retention or you may be unable to urinate.. hence the catheter, until the bladder has time to heal.. Don't get me wrong I am not looking forward to a catheter.. But they put it in after you are asleep. He also said I could take it out myself after a week.. I am not afraid to do this because I am a nurse and do this all the time..Someone else maybe concerned about this.. But do not worry it is quite simple to do.

Hope this answered some questions.

Sheryl
Unread 05-04-2002, 07:06 PM
Burch and catheter

Hi Tracy!

I had a Burch with my TAH for stress incontinence. My Dr. told me before surgery that i might have to have the catheter in at home.

They removed my catheter in the hospital the morning i was discharged (4 days after surgery). I went on my own about a half an hour after it was removed. I drank TONS of water in the castle and i sure think that helped. I never had a problem at all.

Let's hope you have the same great experience !!!
Unread 05-04-2002, 07:41 PM
Burch and catheter

Hi,

I had tah/bso with birch on 4/23/02. They took cath out on the 24th and had to put it back in later in the day. Couldn't seem to go. Caused me great anxiety at the time now I laugh at how upset I became over it. Anyway they took it back out on the 25th and sent me to bathroom every 30 min. until I finally peed. I was released on the 26th with no problems and no cath.

Tracy
Unread 05-04-2002, 11:29 PM
Burch and catheter

Hey Guys!

I have had loads of questions about the burch too - I am getting one in a week. Anyway, this is what I was told, but of course I will just have to see. My doctors have told me everyone is different, but not to be alarmed if I have to have a cath for up to 2 or 3 weeks after the surgery. They explained that it mostly has to do with the swelling, and depending on how invasive they were with your hyst, you can probably expect to go home with the cath. Caths don't bother me too much now after the "urodynamics" procedure!!!! My gyno said that most likely we would remove the cath when I came in 10 days after my hyst to remove the staples. So that is about the time frame I am expecting. Actually, it might be kinda nice to not have to get up and go potty! Always got to look on the bright side of things! Anyway, hope my two cents helped! I am also getting EXTREMELY nervous. Countdown is about a week now. Week from Monday. Man, time flies when you are having fun!
Unread 05-14-2002, 07:48 AM
Re: Burch repair and catheter

To all of the sisters who are awaiting Burch bladder repair:

I can tell you that it has been a life-changing procedure for me, and I have had absolutely excellent results with it. I had the procedure done after my Mom suggested that I ask the doc if he could do it during my hysterectomy. Now is the time to ask, Ladies, and I guarantee, if you suffer from stress incontinence whenever you sneeze, cough, or giggle, the repair can do wonders!

As far as the catheter goes, I had a suprapubic catheter (which was not painful) and it was removed the day that I got out of the hospital. (5 days later.) It was bizarre after they removed it--since it takes several hours for the hole to close up on its own, I was peeing through the hole first, then both places, then eventually just the "normal" way. I was released at 6 that evening. It took about two weeks before it felt completely "normal" when I went. I would strongly suggest that you drink cranberry juice (as well as the water) with every meal they serve in the hospital. Also drink plenty of fluids inbetween meals too. This is really crucial.

My only complication with the catheter was when I woke up early one morning (at 3am) with an incredible urge to "go." I thought to myself, this is crazy, because I have a catheter! I forced myself to try to go back to sleep. The night nurse scolded me because she checked my bag during the night and said I wasn't drinking enough. I told her, "But I've been drinking a lot the whole time..." She didn't believe me. Within a few hours I woke up again, in pain, because I really needed to go by then. A new morning nurse checked my bag and found out that sometime early in the previous evening, the drainage hose stopped working. The nurse got it working after a few tries, and she said she was amazed that I could even hold that much in my bladder. No wonder I felt such an urge to go. So my advice is, ladies-in-waiting, if you feel an urge to go while you have a catheter, ask the nurse to check your drainage bag. Don't think that it's all in your head.

Bottom line, the Burch procedure has been a godsend for me. I just wish I would have had it done years ago. You'll find out just how wonderful it is to never have to wear a pad for leakage protection again.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Best of luck to all of you--it is so worth it!

Bless you, sweet sisters!

Saved_one

TAH with right ovary saved/Large dermoid cyst/ endometrial implant/fibroids/Burch bladder repair---I can do this --without leaking!
Unread 05-14-2002, 08:16 AM
Relieved

Thank you so much for your wonderful post. The bladder repair concerns me more than the hyst! LOL Isn't that ridiculous? I guess I am obsessing. Thanks for the encouraging words! Did you have bladder tests done before they knew you needed a repair? I have a test tomorrow and I am freaking out about it! I am so glad everything went so well for you! Peed through BOTH holes! What a hoot.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register