Burch and catheter - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Burch and catheter Burch and catheter

Unread 05-14-2002, 01:02 PM
my bladder test

Hello Tracy--

I had one little bladder test when I was evaluated for the surgery, and it made me laugh! Not because I felt anything, but because of my doctor's reaction.

I was examined in his office and had my feet up in the stirrups. He placed two fingers deep inside and asked me to cough. I could feel my bladder move down (like it always does) and he went, " Whoa!" and pulled his fingers out quickly. I laughed hard when he did that because it was like my bladder 'bit him' or something.
He said that I was a VERY good candidate. I guess these bladder repairs are good for those of us who gave birth to large babies. I gave birth to a 'teenager.'

Yes, It WAS bizarre peeing through two holes at once! I said to my nurse---"Now I know what it's like to be a woman AND a man at the same time!" I was indeed the human fountain. It was the first time in the hospital that I actually had to slow down on drinking my water or people were going to start making wishes and throwing coins in my bed!

So glad I had the Burch. Life is much easier.

Blessings to you--

Saved_one

TAH with right ovary saved/Large dermoid cyst/endometrial implant/fibroids/Burch bladder repair--I can do this -- without leaking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Cracking me UP!

I needed a good laugh today! A fountain! LOL I was telling my Mom what you said about peeing through the two holes at once and how it made me think of the little boy plugging the dike with his finger! She laughed so hard I thought she would wet herself! Thanks so much for the terrific info. My test tomorrow consists of being hooked to a computer, saline poured into my bladder through a cath and seeing how much I can hold. The computer measures whether or not I have bladder spasms while being filled. When I can't hold anymore,,,I say HEY! Can't hold anymore! LOL
The last test was to drink 32 oz of water, pee into a "hat" to measure how much I put out and then a cath to see if I completely emptied my bladder. <I didn't> But the cath burned <or the iodine burned> for hours! I want to be asleep when they put my cath in for surgery! Thanks again for the comfort and joy!
Unread 05-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Burch and catheter

You ladies are cracking me up!!
I have been really nervous about the chance of a catheter. I am not having any bladder repair (at least not that I know of!!) but am having a vaginal hysterectomy (tvh??) on the 13th. I was worried about the catheter, but you have all put me at ease!
The whole "fountain" experience made me laugh out loud and all of my study hall students just turned and stared at me which made me laugh harder. I don't know what I would do without this site!!
Trish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2002, 05:27 PM
Burch and catheter

Thanks, I needed the laughs too! Monday is the day. My urologist told me I would have the cath for 5 days. And since I have no intention of staying in the hospital for 5 days, I guess I am coming home with it.

I think I am vey glad my Doc said it would be a regular foley cath and not a supra pubic. A fountain huh. Don't think I am ready for that

Caren
Unread 05-15-2002, 07:22 AM
Love my catheter....love my catheter...

Hi Everybody--

Now I'm laughing! I really cracked up when you told me your stories!

Tracy--let me know how your test went---My doc said that they usually put the cath in when you're under the anesthesia, so you will probably be just fine. (Ask him to be sure!) Whatever you do, when you start ambulating in the hospital, never raise the bag above your waistline--that can cause it to head right back to where it came from, and you don't want to have to make your body re-pee (t) the fun.

I'm bummed. I didn't get to do the "hat" dance test like you did.

The worst of my bladder training was when I needed assistance to help me and no one came. I tried to hold the urinal, and cap the catheter (you have to clean it first) and since I hadn't grown that third arm (in surgery) that I needed, I accidentally "dribbled" on the floor. I remember saying, "Oh brother!"
Note: This is exactly how a 'princess' reverts back to a "lady in waiting" again---my crown was getting tarnished.... Ha!

My knight in shining armor turned out to be the lady that brought me my breakfast tray. She saw me struggling and said, "You look like you need help, can I help you?" What a sweetheart. She saved me because I had been waiting in that weird position about 10 minutes and I was starting to get rather wiped out.

When you do your bladder training, they might ask you to stand up when they empty the residual from the catheter. It's so weird, but if you bend a little bit, it actually releases even more. That's when I felt like a guy, AND a contortionist. But just don't bend too much--you don't want to overdo, and besides, the nurses don't know how to untangle pretzels...

Caren--I flunked the residual test a whole bunch of times and my doc decided to remove my cath anyways, because I was doing more than 100 cc's in the hat. The goal for my nurses and doc was less than 100 cc's in the urinal when I drained my cath into it. (that was the standing up part.) They obviously want more in the bowl.

If your surgeon decides to do a suprapubic, they are actually pretty comfortable and easy. Just make sure you go to the bathroom as much as possible before he removes it, or you will get to do the "fountain" like I did.

Come to think of it, I should have charged admission!

Hope all of you ladies have a great day! I'll be thinking of you!

Saved_one

TAH with right ovary saved/Large dermoid cyst/endometrial implant/fibroids/Burch bladder repair--I can do this-- without leaking!
Unread 05-16-2002, 02:24 PM
Burch and catheter

Hey sweeties!

Just wanted to let you all know I had the TAH/BSO with Burch on Monday, and I am home TODAY! YEAH! Anyway, got my cath out yesterday, which would have been 2 days post op, and all is "flowing" well. Don't be afraid, although I know I was petrified! Honestly, so far I think that having kids is worse than what I just went through! SO DON'T BE AFRAID! I know that I have "sailed" through, and although it's not this easy for everyone, it is for me so far. So here's some encouragement for you ladies in waiting! Sorry I am so excited! Just never thought I would feel this great after major surgery!!!:laugh:
Unread 05-16-2002, 02:27 PM
carey

Welcome hom you beautiful princess and thank you for your encouraging words! I am so happy for you that you did not have to home with a cath! Yeah!!!!
Be a good princess and behave yourself. Thanks so much for the update!
Unread 05-18-2002, 05:05 AM
You made it!

Carey--

That is wonderful news that everything went so well. How are you feeling? Just make sure you get enough to and get plenty of in--this will really help your road to recovery. I wish you the best of luck! I'm so glad things went well! You will be so surprised to find out how well that Burch works. It has been so great for me, and I feel confident that you will have the same results.

Tracy--how are you doing?

Blessings to both of you--

Saved_one

TAH with right ovary saved/Large dermoid cyst/endometrial implant/fibroids/Burch bladder repair---I can do this --without leaking!
Unread 05-18-2002, 06:26 AM
Best wishes for sandcastle11

Hi Caren

Are you all set for surgery? How are you doing? I just wanted to say that I am going to be praying for you that everything will go well. I am sure that things will go fine. The Burch is such a great procedure, and I can honestly say, I don't feel different in that dept. as far as how it "feels." All I know is that it works great!! It took a while for things to be really comfortable when I went, but that cleared up just fine.

I ran across (by accident) another post that you had about keeping your cervix. (I was also making the same decision pre-op.) My doc decided to remove it, even after I had requested that it be left in. (He noticed some polyps so he removed it.) At first I was disappointed, but now I am glad that he did it.

I found a story on another post that you might appreciate--A woman decided to put a large happy face sticker on her abdomen before surgery to liven things up, and I guess it caused a lot of commotion, in a good way. The doc and nurses got quite a kick out of it. After surgery, she noticed that they moved the sticker to the outside of her gown, above her chest. It gets better though--sometime during the night, with all the moving around, the smiley face migrated to her rear and the nurse asked her about it when she went to the bathroom.

I think the smiley is a great idea!

In that same thread, there was a woman who said her husband (a doc) had to do a hysterectomy on a woman who had a tatoo above her bikini line that said, "Keep off the grass." She said that he put a sticker on her later that said, "Sorry, had to mow the lawn!" I really cracked up when I read that.

Thought you'd like these.

Before I forget--three things that are really helpful to take---a small fleece blanket for when you get chilled (the hosp. blankets cool down fast) chapstick or vaseline for your lips, and booties. Hope this helps. You might want to leave your purse at home--you won't need it.

Blessings to you and a quick recovery!

Saved_one

TAH with right ovary saved/Large dermoid cyst/fibroids/Burch bladder repair--I can do this --without leaking!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register