Scheduled TVH Upcoming hysterectomy 5/15: Top ten things you will need at home after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 5/15: Top ten things you will need at home after surgery? Upcoming hysterectomy 5/15: Top ten things you will need at home after surgery?

Unread 04-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/15: Top ten things you will need at home after surgery?

Hi! My name is Amber I am scheduled for a TVH May 15th. I am very nervous about recovery after surgery I want make sure I have everything I need to make my recovery quick, comfortable as possible and easy. What top ten things would recommend to have on hand at home, such as, medicines, heating pads or cold compresses, what would you recommend eating etc..? Help! I am so nervous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2015, 11:44 AM
Re: Top ten things you will need at home after surgery?

I didn't need anything in particular. I pretty much ate and drank normal things, and really didn't need a heating pad or ice pack or anything. Except for underwear big enough to cover my whole incision, I really didn't need anything that wasn't already around my home.
Unread 04-17-2015, 12:13 PM

Hi,their were a few items i purchased,a grabber incase i dropped things and it's been very handy for pulling things out of the tumble drier,and like coughy16 big pants were a must,i'm 7 weeks post op and i still only feel comfortable in elasticated trousers,jeans are ok for about an hour or two but no longer,oh and one last thing cushions and pillows for sitting and sleeping,i already had a v pillow and used it quite a lot,i had laparoscopic incisions and due to complications i also ended up with a hip to hip aswell and due to my asthma i cant sleep on my back so the pillows were a big help in finding a good sleeping position,kind regards Shelagh🌺
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2015, 12:22 PM

Thinking back here is my top ten list not in any particular order:

1) a few puddings/fruit cups/granola bars(spoons) in case I needed food
with medication
2) bottled water/juice boxes
3) fuzzy blanket and pillows
4) Eggs
5) Tins of soup
6) Cheese
7) Plug in heating pad- I only used this on my back/shoulders
8) Netflix
9) Comfy outfit
10)Two baskets to fill up with some of my portable
snacks/drinks/meds/cellphone/remote control

As well I had some freezer meals prepared and items placed at waist level- pots, pans, my change of clothes.
Good luck with your journey
Unread 04-17-2015, 12:26 PM

I've was using ice packs and have switched to heat now that the swelling is down. I had some size larger pj pants ready, but wasn't prepared that with all the water weight my undies would be tight for the first few days. My mouth was really dry and my throat was uncomfortable from breathing tube, cough drops were great. Pillows. More pillows. A bed tray. I wish I had a grabber.
The best thing I received post op was a huge basket of fruit with crackers and other goodies. It has made it easier to snack healthy.
Unread 04-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/15: Top ten things you will need at home after surgery?

Thanks ladies! I love the basket idea I am definitely going to have to make up a bedside basket lol! all the support on here from all of you keeps me positive!
Unread 04-17-2015, 02:33 PM

You might want a small notebook to keep track of meds. I was so loopy I would have forgot when I took stuff. 😂
Unread 04-17-2015, 03:02 PM

Here is a list of what I found helpful:
1) heating pad
2) ice packs
3) grabber ( for when you drop things - very handy)
4) good book ( you will be able to focus a few days after surgery)
5) water bottles
6) Netflix
7) comfy clothes ( I went to Target and Walmart before surgery and bought yoga pants and XL shirts). I still love the Yoga pants and wear them all the time.
8) Apple sauce
9) pre-cooked meals - I froze some meals that my husband could re-heat easily.
10) We used my granddaughter's step stool with handles to put by the toilet so I could have something to hold when sitting down on toilet and getting up. It is called a "totlet sink". Sounds odd but helped me to be stable. You can see what I'm talking about by going to Amazon and typing Totlet sink. We put it on the side of the toilet.

I hope this list helps!
Unread 04-17-2015, 05:29 PM

Greetings Amber,

The sisters have given you wonderful tips and advice.

All I can add is an article that may give you ideas on how to prepare your home In Advance:

PREPARING YOUR HOME FOR YOUR RETURN

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery.
Unread 04-17-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber88 View Post
...What top ten things would recommend to have on hand at home, such as, medicines, heating pads or cold compresses, what would you recommend eating etc..? ...

My top ten were:

All-Bran cereal
Peppermint tea
Reacher/grabber tool
Chicken Noodle Soup
Poptarts
Hardboiled eggs and bread (& mayo)
Colace (you'll probably get a prescription for this)
Pain killers (my prescription was for Norco, varies)
Pillows
Movies

And a human to do anything you shouldn't do, and to go to the store and fetch you what you didn't know you would need (for me it was bigger undies).

Probably be a good idea to have GasX and Milk of Magnesia on hand, just in case.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register