I'm afraid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-04-2002, 08:43 PM
I'm afraid

This is the second time I am posting. The first time was during a panic attack I was having. I read some wonderful, kind, caring messages wrritten back to me and they helped me so much. I wanted to thank those ladies personally but I didn't know how to post a message back to their post to me. So thank you to those women.

I am having another panic attack. I am afraid this surgery, a complete hyst. will instantly turn me into an old lady. I am 43. I am thinking it will change who I am somehow. Someone told me I will get tons of hair growth on my upperl lip and chin. I heard from another that my skin will dry easily and I will get a lot of wrinkles. I been told I will be put into instant menopause.

Please someone tell me that this is not true. Tell me, if you can, that taking the estrgen will counter act the menopause and all the instant changes that might, that could occur.

My surgery is Tuesday and I want to call it off. I have been planning this day for months. I have stage IV endo and I can not have sex because the pain is so bad, which indicates it is back in full force.

I don't care about the furtility issue anymore. I don't even care that they take the overies too. I just don't want it to as a result, make me into this old, dry, hotflashing, not wanting sex, mean, unhappy, person.

Somebody, tell me this won't happen, OR if it will PLEASE< PLEASE tell me that too. I have talk to two doctors. Both of whom I trust and like very much. But I am thinking back to what they said and now I am not remebering very well what it was.

I feel a mess.

Thank you for reading. Liz

I just hope I am doing the right thing for myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2002, 09:07 PM
I'm afraid

First I wanted to say that I am from NJ too! Second I had the same fears and I went to my sister who is a nurse and talked to her. I knew she would give it to me straight. So here is what she told me:
1. If they leave the ovaries you will not go into menapause.
2. If they take the ovaries, they will give you repalcement that will prevent those things.
3. If you feel that the dose is not right for you you can talk to your doc and he will adjust it for you.

I have not gotten my date yet. I am going to go to the hospital that my sister works in. I talked to my doc about my fears of the other hospital and he told me that he does have privalages in both so it did not bother him which one we went to. They are blocks from each other anyway. So talking to your doctor should prove to be reasurring. I bring a notepad with me to all my appointments so I can write everything down. (no memory and I am only 32) If you want to talk, let me know and I will give you my e-mail address. Good luck and try to relax and pamper yourself, you deserve it.

Rose
Unread 05-04-2002, 09:13 PM
I'm afraid

s, Liz!!

It's a scary surgery. You will not become an old lady overnight, I promise. My mother had a radical hyst (took ovaries, tubes, uterus) 30 years ago and remained as young & vibrant as her peers. She wasn't even always on HRT, and she was fine.

You'll be fine too. You get to have the benefits of the hyst without necessarily paying some horrible price.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2002, 09:15 PM
I'm afraid

Rose, thank you for your message. It made me feel better. I am just wondering though. So, if you take the replacement, you won't go into menopause? Is that what you think? LIZ
Unread 05-04-2002, 09:16 PM
I'm afraid

Hi there Liz. Wanted to tell you: if you are even the least bit unsure about this surgery, take some more time to think about it.
Generally if ovaries are left, you will not go into menopause. I have heard of either one or both ovary going into 'surgical shock' (taking a while to wake-up). Have also read a few posts where ladies have had to go back to have ovary removed. If ovaries are removed, there is HRT or natural replacements that can be used. Make sure to have a list of questions with you when you see your doc. Start the list now.. you can add on to it. This is what I did. I am only 28 and has suspected mico-endo and uterine prolapse. For me, the decision to have the hyster was easy to make and the best thing I have ever done.

Best wishes to you.
Unread 05-04-2002, 09:25 PM
I'm afraid

Melissa, Thank you very much. It meant a lot to me to read your message. Just don't know why I am doubting this so. Why now, two days before my time. I hate this? But thank you a million times. LIZ
Unread 05-04-2002, 09:26 PM
I'm afraid

Liz,

According to my source, you will still be considered menopausal if the ovaries are gone. The replacements just kind of fake your body out into believing your not. OK, she doesn't put things in the medical terminology, but I wouldn't understand that anyway.

What hospital are you going to? I am going to Robert Wood Johnson.
Just waiting on approval from the insurance company and medical review board.

Keep me posted, since you are going before me I will have lots of questions for you. If you don't mind that is.

Rose
Unread 05-04-2002, 09:30 PM
RE: I'm afraid

Hi Liz,

I too am afraid of all those symptoms and others that happen to be my own concern. But I just had a talk with my mother about the "old lady" thing. I even said the words "I don't want to be a shriveled old lady because of hysterectomy". She said to me "Do you think I am a shriveled old lady?" and I said "NO!" and I meant it. My mom had a total hyst when she was 49. She has always said she never felt better. She also says that sex is easier and better. She had to have the surgery as an emergency because she was bleeding so heavily. The difference that she says that she felt with sex is that she doesn't desire it as much as she used to. But I wondered how much that has to do with levels of hormones taken and also just getting older. She started taking estrogen as soon as surgery was over (ovaries were removed). She is 62 now and looks at least 5 years younger and always has looked younger.

Do you know other women that you can think of that have had hysterectomies? Do they look like the way you think you'll look after a hysterectomy? I know other young women who've had the surgery and they don't look any different than anyone else.

I'm sorry you are so afraid and my heart goes out to you. I will pray for you.

Didi
Unread 05-04-2002, 09:30 PM
I'm afraid

Thank you Amy. I am having the overies go too. Both docotrs think that is what I shoud do. First doc and then second opinion.

The thought of putting this off, although very real, is overwhelming. Just the planning alone for this thing was a full time job for a month. Everything is in place. And now I feel like saying no. Stupid. I know at some point in my life I will indeed have to have it.

In any case, you are sweet and thank yu again for your reply. LIZ
Unread 05-04-2002, 09:35 PM
I'm afraid

I have been where you are - I am 9 days post op and lost everything (Uterus, cervix, ovaries, etc.). I do not feel like an old woman at all. If anything, I am more vibrant already than I was pre-op!

I am currently on estrogen...I was a very uncivilized person until my estrogen levels stabilized. Apart from that, I feel that the surgery was well worth it!

Normally, I would be going through another miserable period. Instead, I am healthy and happy. Please keep your chin up! It is not as bad as you may be anticipating.

I was ready to call off my surgery about three times and I am VERY glad I went through with it! I am 32.

If you would like to talk about your fear more, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register