My very last period! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My very last period! My very last period!

Unread 05-05-2002, 12:48 PM
My very last period!

I posted last week about this. I started my last period 8 days ago. All this time(since I decided to have this surgery 4 months ago), I have been afraid that I would feel a sence of loss with not ever having a period again. I'm only 30...I expected to have 20 more years of periods. I was afraid of feeling like "less" of a woman. Well, in the last year, I've had MAYBE 5 periods because of Lupron and continuous BCP's.My body decided it needed to have just one more before my surgery. I am still bleeding like crazy and it's day 8!!!!! I have hated having to find a bathroom while I'm out and carrying pads and tampons in my purse and having a tampon fall out while I'm digging for something else. That's always embarrassing I hate waking up at night soaked with blood. I hate that I can't have sex with my husband because I'm bleeding so heavily...although that didn't stand in our way this morning Anyway.........I feel so much better about this and I don't think I'm going to miss my period at all. What a hassle it is. It will be so nice to be done with it. Gone are the days of waking up in a puddle of blood and gone are the days of tying my coat around my waist, you know what I mean As a young girl, I couldn't wait to start my period, now I will be so glad to see it go! I guess I'm finally coming to terms with all this. It feels good!

Thanks for listening. No one else understands any of this except for my fellow sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2002, 01:30 PM
My very last period!

Hi there.

I had the same initial feelings as you - I wondered if I would 'miss' my period.

I was due for mine before my surgery but with the exception of some spotting, it never happened. I was so okay with that because I didn't want to become anemic before surgery

As I read through your list of reasons why not having a period any more is a good thing, I thought of a few of my own. How many clothing items have been ruined by stains? sheets? towels? How many night's sleep were interrupted not once but twice and sometimes three times??? How many long commutes to work were made extra stressful because of unexpected traffic or weather conditions when you desperately needed a bathroom? How many times were you in an important meeting and your concentration was shattered because you knew a disaster was brewing and there was no way for you to exit gracefully?

This is kind of gross, but one time I was in the office and I was wearing jeans because it was a casual day. My period appeared to be over as I hadn't bled for a couple of days so I was wearing no protection. Suddenly I sneezed at my desk and felt that awful familiar feeling of something very large passing through me. It stained right through my jeans and onto the cloth fabric upolstery on my office chair (which was light blue)! It was summer so I didn't have a jacket or sweater. Fortunately I had a private office so there was time for me come up with a game plan. I grabbed some protection out of my draw, shoved it in my pocket, and prayed all the way to the ladies room that I wouldn't run into someone! I had to take my jeans and underwear off and wash them as best I could and then dry them with the hand dryer. It was awful!!! And I couldn't go home to change because my commute was too long. It was the longest day of my working life! I'm just grateful that I didn't have someone in my office with me at the time!

Oh no.... I won't be missing Aunt Flo!
Unread 05-05-2002, 02:36 PM
My very last period!

I've hated my period since the first day I had it, at age 9.....and back then, I didn't have problems like I do now. It was just so early to start. Back then I always had accidents cuz I was too embarrassed to carry protection with me cuz I was the only 4th grader with her period. Ugh. Anyway, the past year and a half, what with trying to stop the darn period (due to pain and heavy bleeding) I was put on continuous birth control pills), and ended up with continuous bleeding instead.......not just spotting, but a regular period, every single day for several months. Occasionally, when my doc would have me change pills, I'd take a break, which would allow me a week off, but I'd always start bleeding again, never fail. The fifth pill I tried worked for a little over 2 months. No bleeding, no pain. Then some spotting, no big deal. It stopped. Then it started, and got heavier, and heavier. That was when I decided it was time to have the hyst I'd first considered a year ago.

Enough about me. Just wanted to commiserate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2002, 02:39 PM
My very last period!

Having no period and not ovulating are what I am looking forward to the most. I started my period this week and the first thing I thought of what gave me strength during bad cramps was that I only have 2 more periods to go and the I won't have any more!!!! My most painful time though is during ovulation so I REALLY can't wait to have the puppies out!!!

Reneé
Unread 05-05-2002, 03:03 PM
Good Luck

Mate, you are not going to know yourself after your surgery. It is WONDERFUL not having periods anymore, not having to carry a bag big enough for all the tampons and pads, and not having to work around having what seemd endless periods. Yay!!1 All the very best for your surgery, may it be smooth and may recovery be pamperd. let us know how it all goes. thhinking of you Hugs Vicki Smilie
Unread 05-05-2002, 03:44 PM
My very last period!

EMarieE,

I am SO looking forward to not having periods. I've had this current one since 3/24 and according to my Dr. it's not going to stop. So I'm hanging in until surgery on 6/4.

If I could opt for surgery tomorrow I'd do it, except I'm waiting for school to be over. No work, no pay. It will be hard enough with no pay for the summer, I can't afford to go without a month sooner. There is light at the end of the tunnel for me. and I so want to be a and I can't wait for my visit to the castle. I've learned so much on this message board. When I see my Dr. again this Thursday, I plan on making sure he is aware of it so he can pass it to his other LIW.

My countdown has begun :time2: 30 days to go.

Good luck to you.
Unread 05-05-2002, 07:55 PM
No More Periods For Me!!!

After having heavy periods for years, and then having one continous one for three straight months, I can honestly say that I am not sorry to say goodbye to Aunt Flo!

The old gal started visiting me at age 10 and she's worn out her welcome. The last few months have been horrible, excessive bleeding to the point of severe anemia and hospitalization.

Well, Aunt Flo just packed up and left this past week for the last time. (I hope. Technically, I should have one more period on May 21, but since I'm taking Provera to regulate my cycle, I'm going to see if I can cheat a little by starting the ten day cycle of pills a couple of days later.)

I for one am estatic at the thought of having no more periods. I wanted to have a tampon-burning party to celebrate, but ended up giving all but six of the $9 box and a pack of big pads I had bought to my daughter. (I did keep the panty liners for my trip to the castle.) And the six tampons I kept are insurance, if I gave them all away, I would be guaranteeing a return of Aunt Flo.

Just hang in there, soon it will all be over.

Lisa

Unread 05-05-2002, 08:40 PM
My very last period!

Dear Pasdechat,

At the risk of repeating previous messages, I too won't miss Aunt Flo at all!! Good bye, good riddens!!

It was one of the main reasons for considering a hyst., at least for me. For me, it all consuming - I have never owned a set of bed sheets, pajamas, underwear or bath towel that didn't end up stained! I have certain clothes that are o.k. to wear during my periods and certain ones that are not. My periods are so heavy that I would end up planning my life around them not being able to do anything when I had one. It never failed to happen that I'd get one every holiday! I'd schedule my visits to my Mom's (who lives out-of-state) house around my periods. Just try to inform the airlines you're not available that week.

I think it finally dawned on me that something wasn't right when I saw that t.v. add for the "one box" of different sized tampons to get you through your entire cycle. I had to laugh! Who are they kidding? My periods are so heavy, I don't use tampons until the very end. It's those "over-night" pads for me and I just love how they ride up your butt! NOT!! I was always so sure everybody would know I was wearing one.

Anyway, I'm long done with having babies and don't see why I'm suppose to suffer the next 10 or so years until menopause. Maybe you got one last period before your surgery just to remind you you're doing the right thing! Good luck and my thoughts and prayers will be with you. Love, Lauren
Unread 05-07-2002, 01:09 AM
Woo Hoooooo!!!!!

I think we should all just get together and have one huge funeral to mourn the deaths of our aunts, our guests Flo and Rosie. No more running out to buy mattresses for her visits! No more ominous foreboding expecting her to come, or embarrassment that the world will know that she's come to visit and won't leave! No more extra loads of laundry and gallons of bleach to erase her inconsiderate messes, or worrying where she'll leave her mark! No more agonizing pain at her arrival, or nights without sleep wondering how to kick her out on her ear! *punch* I guess there are a few things I'll miss (yeah right!) like bonding moments (or are those bondage moments?) sharing mountains of chocolate and pints of Ben and Jerrys, crying uncontrollably at sappy movies, and chewing people out who never did anything to us in the first place. I don't think the fetal position under my covers with a heating pad will ever be the same without her! Thank Heavens! There are many things hard about having a hyst but this CERTAINLY isn't one of them! She's outta here!

Thanks for the chance to get back at a relative that has been around way too long, caused way too many problems, and will finally be leaving me on June 19th. Wahoooooo!
Unread 05-07-2002, 09:39 AM
My very last period!

Stacer....Well said!!!!

I am on day 10 of my very last period. Now before anyone tells me "that's nothing compared to how long I've been bleeding" (I was already told that), it's a long time for me, especially since I'm on continuous BCP's and shouldn't be getting a period anyway I know so many of you go through months of bleeding, but 10 days and still going strong is getting a little annoying! In the past while I was on the pill, I'd have maybe 3 days of very light bleeding. I just think this is a good reminder of why I'm having this surgery.....the pain that comes with any amount of bleeding that I might have is just too much to handle. I will be so happy to see it gone. I'm actually getting a little excited to have this surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register