Apron | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-05-2002, 04:08 PM
Apron

This is a bit embarassing.. but.. I need this question answered.. and who else would I ask..
I have had 3 DD and am about 60 lbs overweight. I have what is known as a mothers apron (tummy hangs down) and although it isn't as bad as some that I have seen.. I am afraid that my "bikini cut" will not heal properly. I said this to my husband and he said I should ask my Dr about a tummy tuck. I have been told that costs close to $7,000 and I can't afford that. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2002, 04:25 PM
Apron

I have the same problem and my incision has healed OK. Although I wish I had known a tummy tuck was possible - will insurance pay for it?
Unread 05-05-2002, 04:27 PM
Don't Think So

I really doubt that insurance will pay for that.. especially when it is so hard to get them to pay for the surgery itself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Apron

Hi Kyia!

Boy does that "apron" sound familiar!!!

I too have always had the apron! I was concerned post op too.

I did not have staples, but rather was sutured from the inside with steri strips outside. Everyday when I took my shower, I was careful to gently wash that area. Then, I would lay flat on the bed and use a hair dryer on low speed to dry the area very well.

I had no problems with my incision healing at all!

Good luck!
Unread 05-06-2002, 07:53 AM
Apron

my best advice is to get a shower chair one with a back is easier... and lean way back in it to gently expose the area so you can wash it really well.. I am 70 lbs overweight and got an infection...maybe it wasn't due to my weight because I was having a burning pain in the hospital..darn nurses just shrugged it off... anyway.... wash it really well and ask your doc if its okay if you rinse it with peroxide when you are done ...
the hair dryer works great too... keeping it dry is essential
best wishes
kara
Unread 05-06-2002, 08:10 AM
Tummy Tuck

You need to check your own policy, but generally plastic surgery is not covered, unless it's to repair the results of an accident, etc.

I'm also about 60# overweight. I didn't have any trouble with my incision healing. I did make sure I dried it really well after a shower, I laid on my bed and let it "air dry" for a few minutes.

Good Luck
Unread 05-06-2002, 08:22 AM
Same here

I also made a point of directing the flexible shower head at my incision and letting the really warm water massage it for a few minutes during my showers after a week or so of recovery. Dr seemed to think that helped. I had staples, and had absolutely no problem at all with healing or incision not healing great.
Unread 05-06-2002, 09:23 AM
Apron

Hi Kiwi,

I don't know if this information will help, but here goes. I have a friend/acquaintance that had the same problem. She was able to get a tummy tuck inwhich her insurance paid for. She told me that she and her DR explained to the insurance that it was necessary for her to have the surgery because of cleanliness. Don't get me wrong she is a VERY clean person, but had a problem with keeping the area dry, due to sweat. She tired powders and lotions, but nothing helped to control the rawlness that came with having the apron. She was able to prove her case and the insurance paid for the surgery.

Good luck,
Susan
Unread 05-06-2002, 10:15 AM
Thank you

Thank you for all the good info. I would be afraid that asking for a tummy tuck would put off my surgery.. so I won't worry about that.
The dryer and the flexible shower head are great ideas and I will do them. From a previous surgery, I have had an infection on my belly button incision and that was not pretty.
Thanks everyone for your constant support... 10 days and counting.
Unread 05-06-2002, 07:25 PM
Apron

Hi Kiwi,

I just wanted to add my $.02 cents worth in.

I am having a panniculectomy (modified tummy tuck) as a part of my procedure. I am a large person and my doctor has stated to the insurance company that I need to have it as a part of surgery. She wants to be able to get inside and see everything and the "apron" is just in the way! She says that I will lose about 20 pounds in about an hour!!!

The only downfall is that the healing time is longer with the panniculectomy so that is something to keep in mind.

Another suggestion that I read here was to use a pad and put it adhesive side to your panties and pad side to your incision to keep it dry.

Good luck with your surgery!!

Lynette

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register