Cough Cough Cough...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cough Cough Cough...... Cough Cough Cough......

Unread 05-05-2002, 11:27 PM
Cough Cough Cough......

Ladies,

Anyone out there like me with a cough? I had influenza the week before my surgery (4/20) , but this constant cough (and annyoing and non productive) is possibly from post nasal drip. I didn't think I have allergies, but maybe I do? Is this worth going to DR for? I have to really hold my stomach and pubic symphysis when I cough or it kills.

Thanks for any posts.

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2002, 12:11 AM
Cough Cough Cough......

Hugs Cindy, I am sorry that you are not feeling well. Although you have never experienced allergies in the past, they can affect you all at once. So, if you feel uncomfortable, please call your doctor. There is no reason why you should be suffering....

Let us know how you make out...

Rita
Unread 05-06-2002, 08:32 AM
Cough Cough Cough......

Cindy,

Do you feel like you have a tickle in your throat before you cough? If so, probably post nasal drip. You should drink a lot of water, and take an antihistimine. If your cough is non- productive, a cough medicine might be ok. I would call the doc- coughing after surgery must hurt quite a bit, and you might strain some muscles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2002, 09:25 AM
Cough Cough Cough......

I agree with Rita - you might suddenly be experiencing allergies - some areas of the country had a very mild winter (I didn't notice where you were from before I hit reply) and therefore the spring allergies are much worse than normal.

Also, you may have had a very minor case of allergies before, but never really noticed, especially since now you are noticing every single cough because of the pain.
Unread 05-06-2002, 09:53 AM
Cough drops!

Cindy,

I had a bad bout of allergies immediately before and after surgery. I too, cough and coughed and coughed until I was ready to slit my wrists. All the coughing was non-productive. Each cough produced such pain that I completely depleted my extensive repetoire of swear words.

What really helped me was cough drops! They lubricated my throat enough to supress the cough produced from the tickle and post nasal drip. I feel for you... for me this was the very worse part of the surgery. Get a couple of big bags and suck on one whenever your throat tickles or when you feel a cough coming on. I think hard candy has the same effect... but I personally didn't want to take that chance.

Good Luck.... I know how painful it is!
Unread 05-06-2002, 10:14 AM
Cough Cough Cough......

The best thing to do is to check in with your doctor - especially if you are going to take any new medications. The cough could be cause by a number of different things. Any cough that lasts longer than 7 days should be looked into. Even after a bout of the flu appears to be gone there can by some symptoms that linger. Also, people who are not normally bothered by allergies can be effected if the pollens, dusts, and irritants are excessive.
I have allergies and asthma and this time of year is particularly bad for me. I live in Wisconsin and March through May the trees are budding like crazy. I use prescription medications. Because of these conditions I get frequent sinus infections and post-nasal drip which cause an annoying, non-productive cough. I am now on my third 2-week regimin of antiobotics since my surgery in February. My doctor thinks becaues of all the healing going on from surgery my body is having a hard time fighting off the infections. Drinking lots of water and sucking on hard candy helps some. Let us know how you are doing. Take care.
Unread 05-06-2002, 10:26 AM
Cough Cough Cough......

Thank you all! I did call my DR this morning and am waiting for her to return my call. My cough is productive, but it's clear and slimy (viscous?). It seems like an irritation that occurs after every exhalation. Will be getting to the bottom of it soon, hopefully.

regards to all,

Cindy
Unread 05-06-2002, 10:32 AM
cough

I am now 10 days post-op and I don't have the cough any more, but my first 3 days after I got out of the hospital, I was coughing all the time, especially whenever I talked for more than a few seconds. My sister thought it was a reaction to the medications and/or equipment for the general anesthesia, because she had had a cough after her C-sections. I got good results from the mentholated cough drops.
Unread 05-07-2002, 02:35 PM
Coughing....

Hello Cindy...I too am having coughing one week post-op and wonder about possible allergies. This is definitely a drag and quite scary! I am dealing with the coughing by holding a pillow to my tummy, taking small sips of water and also small tastes of cough medicine and using my mental powers to suppress the cough! The first time it happened to me, my dear husband kept asking "What's the matter?" After the "attack" had subsided, I educated him that if I was suddenly quiet that I needed to focus on getting through it....
Unread 05-07-2002, 04:46 PM
Cough Cough Cough......

I remember that first cough in the hospital at one day post-op! I had read numerous places about the tummy pillow and had mine with me, but for some reason the cough snuck up and I didn't think about anything except coughing. I thought I was going to go through the roof! My sneezes seem to NOT be normal - usually I get such relief from a good sneeze. Now they are kind of wimpy. And one other thing - no one warned me about the pain the first couple of days when blowing my nose. You'd think that with everything I do everyday that uses my abdominal muscles, I'd have a flat stomach - NOT!!!

By the way - the coughing and sneezing are tolerable today without pillow at day 6.

Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register