Anyone had problems pre-op with blood test? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone had problems pre-op with blood test? Anyone had problems pre-op with blood test?

Unread 05-06-2002, 03:53 AM
Anyone had problems pre-op with blood test?

Hi everyone - anyone had problems pre-op with blood test?

I have a problem with my bloods which might prevent me having my op on the 8th: low red cells (anaemia, no surprise there) and low white cells which is the big problem. Has anyone else had this? Apparently low white cells are usually indicative of an infection, but I feel OK. Have to go in on 7th (tomorrow) at 8.30am for another blood test, then go home and wait for the results - depending on that they will call me in, or not.
Jules x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2002, 07:30 AM

Jules, I'm so sorry you're facing a possible delay for your surgery: you've waited so long already.

Wishing you the best of luck with this second blood test.

Unread 05-06-2002, 08:02 AM
Low White Cells

Hmmm, I always heard that a high white cell count meant infection though I could be wrong. (I'm trying to remember my anatomy lessons from way back in nursing school 18 years ago.) The white blood cells are the one's that fight off invading bacteria, so when you have an infection, their production increases.

Anyway, I hope everything works out for you. I know the waiting is the hardest part.

Let us know what the outcome is.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2002, 10:34 AM

I too have a low white count. Since Feb I have been seeing a hematologist to monitor it and try to determine what is wrong. Yes, the low count can be fighting something off. In my case, he says that it can possibly be the way I am made, nutrition or something is trying to form in my system. Previous CBC test from '95 to present have my WBC on the low to way below normal. My red counts are not good either, I show up as anemic but I have so much iron in my system that I am almost toxic. I've been instructed NO vitamins with iron and lay low on iron rich foods. Weird huh? Toxic iron and anemic? Go figure.
My Gyn would not do the surgery until the Hemo man sent a letter saying it was ok. That has all been done at this point. I have pre-op on May 8 and I am hoping that test is ok so it won't throw me off schedule.
There are many blood disorder websites you can check out and get a feel for what is going on.
Best wishes to you.
Susan
Unread 05-14-2002, 11:14 AM

Hi ladies - well my 3rd blood test on the 7th May at 08:30 was still low, but they did the op on the 8th in any case, and I came home yesterday! My consultant said the low white cell count might have been the Zoladex injections. I had to have a blood transfusion and have come home with iron tablets and antibiotics (plus a myriad of other stuff) but am feeling not so bad at the moment.
Thanks for all your replies!
Jules

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register