Which is safer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Which is safer Which is safer

Unread 05-06-2002, 10:30 AM
Which is safer

I am having TVH ,bladder sling and AP repair on May 15th..........i need some advice on the best way to go for anesthesia. Spinal, Epidural or General. I am leaning toward spinal cuz i get nauseated with general...............what is best option in your opinion.,.................thanks...................yami............THIS IS A WONDERFUL PLACE. I will be so happy when this is all behind me...............I am very nervous about it all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2002, 10:34 AM
Which is safer

Yammi
We are having surgery the same day!
Almost same procedure too!
I talked to mu DR. --hesaid it did not matter.
So talked to the "A" man --said since it was my first surgery general would be the best option for me.He said he did not think I would want to hear everything--do general it is not happy but will have to do!
I have read other ladies have a tvh with epidural or spinal.
I guess it depends on the Dr. and the "A" man.
I will call and ask the DR. or the "A" man and see if you can have it that way
Good luck to you!
Unread 05-06-2002, 10:40 AM
Which is safer

Hi, Yami444,

I'm not a doctor, so I can't answer your question about the safest type of anesthesia.

My hysterectomy was done under spinal anesthesia with sedation. I've had problems with general anesthesia in the past, and the spinal was recommended by my anesthesiologist.

In the pre-op holding area, after I donned the hospital gown, had an IV started, and signed papers, the anesthesiologist put "something to help me relax" into my IV.

Next, I woke up in the recovery room. The surgery was finished. I have no memory of the surgery. I don't remember the spinal catheter being placed, the urinary catheter being inserted, or anything else about the procedure.

I itched, from the type of morphine used in the spinal catheter, and the recovery room nurse gave me something to stop the itching. I was numb from the knees down.

A little while later, after I was taken to my hospital room, I could feel my feet and wiggle my toes. I was ready to start walking.

This was, by far, the best and easiest experience I've ever had with anesthesia. I would choose spinal anesthesia for any future surgeries, in a heartbeat!

Good luck with your surgery, and I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2002, 10:59 AM
Which is safer

Pretty much the same here, only I had epidural and general. Since they didn't know if I would have cancer, they obviously didn't want me to be awake. The advantage of having both is that they don't have to give you as much general anesthesia if you have an epidural or spinal also. That way you don't get as "froggy" minded and nausious. In fact, just like the last lady to reply, I remember the sedative being put in my IV and very vaguely remember bending over a gurney for them to give me an epidural, but the next thing I remember was being wheeled to my room from recovery. I had no nausia and was pretty clear-minded right away. And with the epidural in for 3 days, I had direct meds right into my midsection, which reduced the amount necessary to relieve pain. All around, I think it was the best way to go!
Unread 05-06-2002, 08:01 PM
Which is safer

Hi, Yami -

I had spinal with sedation for my hyst, then general about 5 weeks later for a thyroidectomy. I personally liked the spinal better - I was actually awake for most of it (so they told me), but they gave me some "can't remember" stuff, so I have no recollection of it. But I awoke alert, with no nausea. The other advantage (and the reason my doc prefers it) is that they can give you meds during surgery and you'll need less later on. I had no need for a morphine pump.

The general wasn't too bad either, though. I just didn't like being a bit more disoriented, and I don't like the sore throat from the tube they put in your throat (of course, in my case, I was gonna have a sore throat anyway).

I can tell you what the anesthesiologist told me about the safety - they are both about the same in terms of safety (and the risk of problems is very small), though the risks are slightly different. I would recommend that you call the hospital and ask to speak to an anesthesiologist - he or she can help you in this decision

Cheers,
Unread 05-08-2002, 09:51 AM
Which is safer

I had a spinal with a small amount of Versed in my IV to help me relax. I'd had bad reactions to generals before (really groggy and nauseous), and my surgeon seemed to be a big fan of spinals. I also wanted to try for just an overnight hospital stay, so for me, it all added up to "spinal".

I remember I was moving my feet in the recovery room, and by 8pm (I had a 10am surgery that lasted an hour) I had all the feeling back in my lower body. I had movement in all my limbs a lot earlier than that, but there was still a bit of vague numbness to them. I was up walking the next morning without issue, released to go home, and haven't had any residual anaesthesia issues that I'm aware of. In contrast, my roommate had a general a few hours before I did, and she was in the hospital for 4 nights. I think she liked this -- she had a bunch of kids and needed the peace and quiet. Me, I had a huge hospital bill I had to pay for and just wanted to go home so I could avoid any more jello and broth. Ugh.

As everyone here will tell you, "ask your doctor". The type of anaesthesia available to you will depend on the doctor's personal preferences, the type and length of surgery you're having, and your input. For me, the spinal was the correct choice, and if I need any more surgery in the future, I hope it's an option.

p.s. I didn't have an additional epidural for pain, but was given a PCA pump in the recovery room. I soon discovered the morphine made me queasy so I switched to Toradol shots for the next 12 hours, and have been able to control my "pain" with ibuprofen since getting home. I'm 9 days post-surgery and don't need any pain meds anymore.
Unread 05-08-2002, 11:30 AM
tah with epidural?

Thanks for asking this question. My surgery is Monday 5/13 and that is the last decision I have to make regarding the surgery. The "A" said I can make my final decision the day of the surgery. I had epidurals for all 3 births of my children (2 by c-section). I really liked the effects or after effects of this versus the groggy hang over feeling of the general which I had for a shoulder surgery. I just want to be out of pain! The other consideration is the after benefits of the Dura morph injections through the epidural versus the "pump" or pills/injections afterwards if I go with the general. Dura morph made pain meds NOT necesarry for 36 hours after my last c-section! but I itched like a crazy person. Anyway thanks for the question......the responses are very helpful. Good luck to you.
Unread 05-08-2002, 04:48 PM
Which is safer

I don't know which is safer, but I've had generals, and I've had a spinal. I vote for the spinal. You can read all the details by clicking the "www" button at the bottom of my post, if you want more info.
Unread 05-08-2002, 05:29 PM
Which is safer

I can't answer the "which is safer -- or even best" question either, but I can tell you which I went with. I had a spinal for my TVH with a happy shot (versed) beforehand. I was so tired I dozed through most of the surgery, but I was vaguely aware of conversation between doctors and woke up from time to time. Always went right back to sleep. One advantage was the opportunity to see the uterus when it was over - it had caused so much trouble for so long I was more than a little curious. I also had very little pain afterwards, just very mild cramps. They gave me ibuprofen at the hospital and I continued to take it after I came home, but never needed anything stronger.

Actually HorseWoman's story (and some of the others I read here) helped me make up my mind before my surgery. I was very happy with my choice.

Good luck with your choice!

Margaret
Unread 05-08-2002, 05:51 PM
Which is safer

Hi Yami and Rach,

I also can't answer your questions about which is safer - you should talk with your doctor and with the anesthesiologist about safety, but in my case I had a TVH with A & P repairs and had a general. I was given something to make me drowsy after I got into my hospital gown and before being wheeled into the operating room. I don't remember anything at all after that, and when I woke up I had a morphine pump for pain, and didn't experience any nausea at all.

Let us know what your doctors recommend, please.

's

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register