How did you keep from going insane the week before surgery?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How did you keep from going insane the week before surgery?? How did you keep from going insane the week before surgery??

Unread 05-06-2002, 07:02 PM
How did you keep from going insane the week before surgery??

Hi everyone!

HELP!!!

My surgery is one week from today and the freak-out has begun!

Any suggestions for getting the negative thoughts out of my head would be greatly appreciated!!!

My greatest fear is that I am going to experience inforseen complications that will impede my recovery.

Please tell me this is normal and tell me what you all did to fight them!!!

Thanks!

Lynette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2002, 07:05 PM

Lynette!

You are normal. The waiting is really the worst part! Really!

I made the best of my 7 day wait by reading the pull-down menus on the main page. www.hystersisters.com and getting everything squared away. I also started to read a new book. That took my mind off of things, although, I cannot tell you what the book was about, or which one I read! I had "foggy-brain" for those 7 days

It's okay, really!

Sara
Unread 05-06-2002, 07:25 PM
One word...........XANAX

kept me sane......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2002, 10:03 PM

My surgery is not until June, bought I've thought about this. I will have a full week(and a couple days) off of work before my surgery. So I won't have work to keep me busy. So I thought I would make plans for like everyday except for the last day before my surgery. I will spend most of the time with my family doing stuff, but I thought I'd take a couple of those days to do fun stuff with friends...girl stuff like shopping, maybe a pedicure. I really want to go for a massage. We might spend the weekend before my surgery at the beach. BUT the day before my surgery will be a day of rest and relaxation for me. I do plan on asking my doctor for a prescription to help calm my nerves, though. I think that's the main thing that will get me through it. Good luck
Unread 05-07-2002, 12:14 AM

You may not want to hear this, but -- maybe you just need to be insane until your surgery. I did everything I could to distract myself, especially journaling, talking to my dh, and visualizing the surgery, but when that failed, I just accepted that I'd be nuts until the surgery was over. Coming to terms with that helped.

You know what? If there is a post-op complication, you'll deal with it then. You'll handle it just like you've handled every other difficulty that you've overcome in your life. There probably won't be anyway, but I understand the fear.

Everything will work out.

Melissa
Unread 05-07-2002, 06:36 AM

We have the same date and I am very nervous to the point of nausea, insane, cannot focus on anything.
Pre-op is 5/8 for me and I plan to ask for something that might help me at least rest at night since I am not sleeping either.
Best wishes to you
Susan
Unread 05-07-2002, 09:38 AM
Insanity Prevention Week

Hi All LIW's,
I am 2 weeks and 1 day post -op and wanted to jump in here. I do not think that it is completely possible to remain sane for the week prior to surgery. I do however, think you can try to distract yourself a bit. First of all, I planned a nice evening out the saturday evening prior to surgery. We got tickets to a play and reservations for dinner! I chose a nice outfit that I bought prior, and never got to wear it because the weather was too cool! Anyway, the few days before the surgery, I cleaned the house some. Not as much as some of the other women that wrote in. I decided to do more things for myself. I got a pedicure & mainicure on Friday, went out Sat eve as stated above. On Thursday afternoon I went to the mall and bought myself a couple of nice inexpensive outfits (Capris and t-shirt) to have something nice to wear post op. Sunday my husband & I just took it easy. We laid around and watched movies.
I am not trying to give you the impression that this surgery can be entirely minimized in your head, but I swear, when it is all over with, you are going to be so much better off! After only 15 days I feel like a million dollars. I wish my doctor would give me more leeway to do more things, but she won't. So I am staying in and following the rules (as much as possible) I have not driven yet. Next Week I will. But I really feel great.
I wish you so much of all good things. Please try to relax. The worst part is actually behind you and all good days are ahead!
Unread 05-07-2002, 10:21 AM
insanity

I very well remember my pre-surgery heebie-jeebies....and I, too, decided to roll with it. I knew I was nuts, warned my husband, friends, and co-workers and then just went wherever anyone pointed me. What helped was that I talked out loud, to myself usually when I was driving alone, or at home alone. I also swore at my uterus, ovary, fibroid family, etc., and told them in no uncertain terms that they were going to fry in he!! for the agony they had caused me....Really, though, I verbalized all my fears, anxiety, hopes, worries, etc out loud and somehow it helped. I would usually break down in tears, have a good cry, keep driving, and feel some sort of exhausted relief. And even though people say they understand, they don't, unless they have been there...like my wonderful sisters!

TAH/BSO - fibroids, severe adenomyosis
surgery - January 28, 2002 - one of the best days of my life
Unread 05-07-2002, 11:27 AM

I agree with the others - you're just going to BE crazy. I was a mess and made myself physically sick worrying. It's major surgery and you wouldn't be normal if you weren't very worried about it. But just give in and go with it - people will help you back in if you get "too far out of your cage" and you really will be OK. My family just learned to pat me on the head and smile as I lost my mind.

I did find that I "drifted off" a LOT more that week or so beforehand. I would be doing something, (or not) and would find myself a few minutes later a million miles away mentally. I would be zoned out to another galaxy, thinking about how things might go, how they would be afterward, and just about life in general. At work, I don't usually eat lunch, but I still leave the office for my hour because I just have to get out for a while. There's a nice little place very close by that I go and park and read - I can get out and sit on the grass and enjoy it if it's a beautiful day. I found myself just sitting and watching the birds, or the wind blow, or the rain fall, like I was hypnotized. I would spend a whole hour like that - and it was very relaxing. I seem to have done a lot of thinking and found a lot of perspective on the things that were happening to me.

I did a lot more of that after the surgery, and I'm not the only one who's noticed that I'm a more relaxed and happy person now - I think some of it had to do with making a point of spending time looking inward more now.

I hope you can also find something that will help you this week before surgery - relax and maybe you'll find something inside you that will help.

Best wishes.

Debbie
Unread 05-07-2002, 12:21 PM

Well, this is only my second post at this site, but I wanted to let you all know how much reading your posts has helped this newbie as well! I'm scheduled for May 15th (8 days to go!), and I haven't really started to panic yet, but I know from past experience (2 prescheduled C-sections) that I will.

Right now I'm just so relieved to finally be approved and scheduled for my TVH that I only feel excited and anxious to get on with it, but I know I'll have my moments of terror between now and next Wednesday. But it will be okay. Just from reading all of your notes, I know it will be okay and that I'll get through it just fine.

THANK YOU and big hugs to all of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register