Packing for hospital! 5/19 surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Packing for hospital! 5/19 surgery Packing for hospital! 5/19 surgery

Unread 05-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Packing for hospital! 5/19 surgery

Hi, I bet this information is already in here somewhere so I apologize if it is and I'm asking a question you get a lot

What should I pack for the hospital? There is a chance they have to go in through my csection scar, so should I bring the stuff I'd bring for another csection?

Also, they're giving me a spinal block instead of general anesthesia - has anyone had this and how was your experience?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Re: Packing for hospital! 5/19 surgery

You might want to see the article at https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_96849.htm.

"Go in through my csection scar" sounds as if you're having an abdominal? How much of a hospital stay are they quoting you? If you're packing for a longer stay, don't forget to bring entertainment! I had a three-day stay myself. The first day I was pretty out-of-it, but the second and third days I was more alert. A lightweight bathrobe over my hospital gown and a pair of croc wannabes were just the thing for walking laps around the ward, but I couldn't walk *all* the time. I would have gone bonkers if I hadn't brought books, a notebook and a pen.

Mom (veteran of five hospital births) said to bring chapstick, and she was right. Hand lotion was also useful. (Bring unscented lotion, since some hospitals have a "No scents is good sense" policy.)

A large container for water would have been useful, since the tiny paper cups of water the nurses brought me just didn't cut it. A friend of mine visited me the first day, went out to a convenience store and came back with four bottles of Aquafina. Ahhhhh!!!!!

Ask the person who's driving you home to bring a small, flat pillow to put between your belly and the seat belt when they pick you up.

Bring a hard case for your glasses if you wear glasses.

Don't assume that your hospital room will have spare outlets for charging electronic devices.

That's all I can think of! Oh, I brought a sleep mask and earplugs, but never used them.
Unread 05-17-2015, 10:50 AM

do you know how long you might be in? If it's just one night like me, you shouldn't need too much. I took my glasses (normally wear contacts) my cell and iPad, toothbrush. I used all of these things.

What I didn't use: robe (too difficult with iv and the next morning I showered and dressed in my own clothes to await discharge, plus they gave me an extra gown to put on the other way to cover me more completely), books (really couldn't focus to read), change of underwear (went home with the hospital ones on)

What I didn't have but wished I did: a small personal fan (it was hot and stuffy in my room), hard candy for dry mouth, and something to drink when I got tired of apple juice, ginger ale and water. I drank sooooooo much post surgery)

I do recommend getting the tv service, that is what I spent most of my time doing in the hospital.

Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughy16 View Post
...What I didn't have but wished I did: a small personal fan (it was hot and stuffy in my room)...

I do recommend getting the tv service, that is what I spent most of my time doing in the hospital.

Good luck to you!
That's funny, because we had our surgeries about the same time of year (late May, early June). At my hospital, they were blasting air conditioning! I was glad for my robe because it had long sleeves to cover my long, skinny arms. I honestly don't remember how I managed the IV lines, but I certainly don't remember having any problems with them.

Re: TV, there an option to pay to rent a TV at my hospital. I don't enjoy listening to the constant blather of TV, so I was quite glad that my roommate didn't rent one. Also, she was francophone and I'm anglophone, so if we'd both wanted to watch TV, it would have been awkward.
Unread 05-17-2015, 02:00 PM

Suprised, I was in a really old hospital the ac probably just wasn't good. It was actually really stuffy rather than so much hot. I normally don't like the TV going constantly either, but I really just couldn't get into reading. I was only in the one night though, and pretty much watched it later at night. Luckily my room mate had gone home earlier.
Unread 05-17-2015, 02:07 PM

My doctor says I'll be in one night if she can go vaginally, more if they go through my abdomen. I can't remember what I really used when I was in for my last csection so I'm having a hard time packing!
Unread 05-17-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDsnow View Post
My doctor says I'll be in one night if she can go vaginally, more if they go through my abdomen. I can't remember what I really used when I was in for my last csection so I'm having a hard time packing!
I'd never stayed overnight in a hospital at all before my hysterectomy. The hospital had a list on their website of what to bring and reading postings on this site was also useful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register