questions re climara patch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

questions re climara patch questions re climara patch

Unread 07-03-2000, 06:09 AM
questions re climara patch

I had surgery on 5/30, but just started ERT this past Thurs. After reading many posts, I thought most of you said estrogen & progestrone as well as my dr. Then when I went for check up, he said no I only needed estrogen because I don't have uterus. I'm on Climara patch .05 but I still have two or three hot flashes each night and sometimes hard to get back to sleep. (I've been up since 3) My question; how long do I wait before asking dr for higher dosage? A lot of you also recommend the progs creme, is that right? This is all so confusing for me. I also have a terrible sore throat; I hope this isn't related to climara.

Thanks,
Brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2000, 07:09 AM

Brentz,
Most doctors WILL tell you that you don't need progesterone. However alot of us have found that we DO need progesterone. Our bodies produced progesterone pre-hyst so why wouldn't we need it now? Progesterone also makes the estrogen more effective thus you need less, it also soothes some of those nasty estrogen dominant symptoms.
I would give the patch a bit more time. Hot flashes can also be a sign of a fluctuation in your hormone levels.
Check out the pull down menus on the Hormone Jungle page for more info on hormones. You could print out some of these and take them into your doctor.
Hugs :-)
Unread 07-03-2000, 11:33 AM

You can also find a lot more about progesterone in the Hormone Jungle Archives--use the link in my signature or the announcement at the top of the message board to get to a clickable list of archive topics. You might find more info there that will bolster your case with your doctor, as well as sources of good, measured-quality progesterone that you can order on your own if it comes to that.

The sore throat is not usually a sign of estrogen problems. Some women do have residual problems from being intubated for general anesthesia. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Since hormone fluctuations can cause hot flashes, and you could have fluctuating levels for a few more weeks, this may not in fact mean that your dose is too low. Additionally, many women find they need a slightly lower dose of estrogen when they add progesterone. If you are inclined to try the progest, I would think that adding it before changing the estrogen would make more sense--then you can tune the two together, working within their interaction.

Good luck with it, and please let us know where you go with your dosing and how it works for you. [blue]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2000, 02:45 PM

I was placed on the Climara .1 patch the day after surgery. I guess this would be twice the strength of yours. I have had absoultely no hot flashes, night sweats, etc. or any other menopausal symptoms at all. I really don't know why Dr.'s pick one strength over another, but all I can say is mine seems to be working. Good luck.
Unread 07-03-2000, 06:51 PM

I'm on a high dose of estrogen (3 times your dose). I would speak with your doctor immediately and see if you can increase your dose. I don't see why you have to continue suffering with your hot flashes and other symptoms. Now that I've found the right amount of estrogen for myself I never have hot flashes and insomnia has become a rare occurrence.

I had trouble with Climara because it bubbled up and would slide around. The dosage just wasn't delivered well. I switched at two weeks post op to the Vivelle dot which has worked much better for me. It is smaller and changed every 3.5 days instead of 7 days. And it sticks like a champ.

I also keep my old patch on for an hour or so after applying the new patch so that the new patch has a chance to "ramp" up in terms of its delivered dose. Take a look at your prescription details and check out the graphs showing the dose delivered for patch life days/hours and you'll see what I'm getting at.

Also wearing the patch on top of buttocks area instead of abdomen delivers 17%-25% more estrogen per package insert as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register