5/23 ladies! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-07-2002, 09:21 AM
What to pack,

Hi Deb,

On the main home page (click the three princesses on the top of this page to access the home page) there is some drop down lists towards the center of the page. If you click on the Ladies In Waiting drop down list, there should be a hospital packing list there. In my opinion, however, there is way too much on that list.

Personally, I am taking the following:

gown/robe/slippers, granny panties (2 sizes larger than what I wear), warm socks, tummy pillow, my own bed pillow, cosmetics and toiletries (travel sizes), sanitary napkins for any drainage or spotting, chap stick, gum and mints, book, my insurance card and driver's license, my migrane medicine and vitamins, and a portable radio or CD player with headphones. (Some ladies recommend taking a calling card.) I'd also like to take a very small portable fan, if I can get away with it, since I'm very hot natured and almost roasted when I was in the hospital last month. Oh, and I plan to wear home the clothes that I wore in (since I won't be in them very long) or else just wear my gown/robe home.

s to you!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2002, 09:33 AM
I am on the 21st, can I join, too?

My pre-op is tomorrow. Surgery at 7am on the 21st.

And my last period started today!!!! Yippy yahoo!!!

I planned things so that I could still take a vacation we haad booked and paid for before we knew I needed the surgery. So actually, right now, I am busy packing, buying, etc for a scuba diving trip to Bonaire. We leave Sat and return Sun the 19th. So I'll be spending ALL day Monday getting ready for the hospital (well, except for a few hours - a friend and I are going for relaxing massages!)

Kinda getting scared, but not too bad. We all agreed that this vacation is the time for me to put work behind me, clear my mind and enjoy myself. And not even THINK aobut the surgery until the day I return. I think I have things lined up ok. I am the Accounting for an Engineering firm and I've alredy training the temp replacement. I expect to be back full time in July and hopefully part time a few weeks before that (this is what my Dr has said). I have a housekeeper coming tomorrow so the house will be spotless when I enter the castle :-)
Unread 05-07-2002, 09:34 AM
wow!

That's alot of crap to take with me. I like your list better. I'm taking only what I think I'll need. Robe, slippers, puzzle book, music to listen to, toiletries, pads, XX large panties, sweats, t-shirts, wow...i'm gonna have to make a list...hey thanks alot for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2002, 09:37 AM
dang! hit enter before I was finished

to continue.....Hubby will stay in the hospital with me the first day, my best friend the next. I'll be on my own until I am released a day or two after that. Then hubby will be home with me during Memorial Day wkend, then my Mom comes for the following week. I hope I am feeling well enough to actually DO some easy things with her - like fill picture frames and that sort of hubby-type thing.

Good luck to everyone having surgery the week of the 20th!!!
Unread 05-07-2002, 10:13 AM
My list

I'm taking toilteries, travel size, SLIPPERS for walking, warm socks, robe, nightie <not too long or it will wrap around you while you are trying to scooch around in the bed> portable tape player with a good audio book, a novel I have put off reading for this very occassion, makeup <a bit> dried apricots for constipation, my tummy pillow, thank you cards <in case I feel up to it> a big loose change of clothes for the day I come home. BTW...ladies here say no chap stick with petroleum so I got beeswax. Don't forget LOTION! Hospitals are notorious for cold dry air. Pads. Granny panties.
Memorial Day,,,I don't think that weekend will delay our release at all. I am also hoping for Saturday no later than Sunday release. My hospital is an hour away so I imagine the traffic may be worse.
Lisa,
Make a list, pack your things <buy extra to keep from going back in the bag> Check things off the list and place them in the bag as you go. LOL Put a list on the bag of last minute items such as meds,,,etc. If you keep packing and unpacking you are gonna forget what you packed! <silly grin>
I am very undecisive about most things right now, mostly little things. Don't want to make any decisons right now. I think I had to make too many of those recently! Maybe packing and unpacking is therapeutic for you Lisa. I know I'm cleaning like crazy. Helps burn off the stress!
Here's hoping we go home Saturday!
Unread 05-07-2002, 01:59 PM
Hey Tracy,

Part of the reason that I unpacked last night is that the bag I am using has wheels. I had half my stuff in it, but last night when I got home from the grocery store, I realized I couldn't carry all of my groceries in (remember, I was in some serious pain last night.) So I dumped out all of the stuff I had packed onto my bed and used the wheeled bag to bring in the groceries (worked pretty well too!)

Anyway, I think maybe I shoud use another bag to pack in, because I know if I buy groceries again, I'm going to do the same thing.

(I also had an itch around midnight and needed my backscratcher, so dumped everything out again to get it. I'll never get packed at this rate!)

Time is dragging like snails carrying lumber uphill in the mud.

Lisa

Unread 05-07-2002, 02:11 PM
Hi TamiAnn, Teddy54, Pellice, Deb, and Tracy

Maybe we should make this a Week of May 20 club. We could call us the May Flowers.

Anyway, it so wonderful to have found you all. There's strength in numbers. Having so many sisters who are all going through the same experiences at the same time really forms a bond. I never had any real sisters, so you guys are it.

s to each of you and if you need anything, just let me know.

Lisa

Unread 05-07-2002, 02:17 PM
May Flowers

That's great! I love it. We'll be the May Flowers. I lost both my sisters a few years back so it's so wonderful to have found all of you. I feel like you're all my sisters.

Hugs to you all...I don't have a computer at home so I won't be able to let you know what happens until I get back to work. I really hate that...so let's keep in touch until it's time for me to go.

BTW, how do you get all those cute little graphics, the hugs, doggies, smiley faces, etc.?
Unread 05-07-2002, 02:35 PM
Hi Deb

To get the smiles in your posts, go to the "user cp" button at the top of this page. Click on "Edit Options", then scroll down to the bottom of that page. Under the Other Options heading is an option that says, "Use vBCode quick links on your message input screens?" Click "yes", then "submit modifications."

Once you've changed this option, you should see a box on the side when you're posting a message with smiles. (It shows you six smiles. You can get more by clicking on "get more.") To choose one, just click on it and it will automatically be inserted into your post.

Too bad we won't know what happens with your surgery until you get back to work. Maybe you could e-mail me (there should be a button on the bottom of my post where you can e-mail me), and I'll give you my telephone number so you can call and give us an update. We have to make sure all of our May Flowers are well-tended and make it back from the castle as Beautiful May Princesses!

Lot of s

Lisa

Unread 05-07-2002, 04:36 PM
May Flowers!

I really like that! Oh please try to find a way to let us know how your surgery went! We'll be worried if we have to wait 6 weeks! LOL Today is almost over. Tomorrow I get up at 6AM and drive an hour to be cathed for a test. I have to drink 32 oz of water, pee into a container that measures my output, time how long it takes to empty my bladder and then be cathed to see if I completely emptied my bladder <clapping hands> How FUN! I won't be able to log on until the afternoon so be thinking of me please! LOL..I hope you ladies all have pleasant dreams tonight and you will all be in my prayers. It's getting closer girls! Yee Haw! We have lisa, deb, tammi, nancy and pellice and me. Woo Hoo. It will be interesting to see who else joins us before this is over. Lisa, You nutty lady...Is your pain better today? I sure hope so. Didn't think of a back scratcher. Good Idea! Hugs to all my sisters and try not to worry TOO much this evening.
Take care a sweet dreams! Logging off for the night. Have so many things to do!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register