uh, thanks doc. not! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

uh, thanks doc. not! uh, thanks doc. not!

Unread 05-07-2002, 02:37 PM
uh, thanks doc. not!

Answers finally! Not good ones or ones I want to hear but answers nonetheless. And sometimes just knowing where you stand amkes all the difference.

After what was certainly the worst night I've had yet with less than 2 hours of sleep, I call the ins company and I finally got to someone who seemed to be willing to go the extra mile for me. She made many phone calls on my behalf. The bottom line is, when the ins company contacted my doctor he said he had nothing further to say to ins company about my denial. He actually refused to talk to the review doctor. Well, uh thanks.

And because he refused to talk to them, they (ins co) think doc must not feel a hyst is really necessary and they want me to do a BCP. (which I still don't want to do)

Basically, the doctor never shoud have put me in this position if he didn't feel strongly about it. When we first talked he outlined my options. I went home to research them and then came back with my decision. He agreed. Or I thought he did. I would say that his lack of communication speaks volumes about what he really thought. I've left two messages for him to call me since Friday and nothing.

My insurance broker is calling the doctor this evening but if he refused to speak to the ins company, I doubt he'll speak to her. I do appreciate her efforts on my behalf though.

So now what do I do? If she succeeds in getting my doctor to fight for me, do I even want him to? Did I really need to beg for him to care? Did he even ever care? Isn't it the doctors job to care?

And if he does suddenly decide to fight for me do I really want to start this all over again with another doctor?
And if the pain is this bad a week before my period, what will next week be like?

I'm thinking I need some sleep and to stop thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2002, 02:50 PM
((((HUGS))))

Jo,

I am soooo sad that this is happening to you! I wish I could be there to give you a hug; here's the next best thing:

(The first time someone sent one to me, I cried, it felt so good! I hope it does for you what it did for me!)

I think you can do a dr search and find a dr that you could present your case to until you find someone who will do what you feel needs to be done. I know just how you feel, though. It took soooooo long to finally be diagnosed and the pain is just so bad that you can't mess with it anymore. You just want the waiting game to END.

Here's more 's and hoping you find the end of your rainbow. You're in my prayers!
Unread 05-07-2002, 04:09 PM
Hi

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Have you known your doctor long? I would say that maybe the insurance co. gave the doctor a very hard time and he may have had a bad day that day but that doesn't excuse his not returning your call. Hang in there and do some research. I truly hope things work out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2002, 04:11 PM
uh, thanks doc. not!

Hi, Jo (Love your signature line BTW ) You may need to keep that in mind as you trudge through the "insurance pit". I had to do battle w/insurance twice but each time worked out, obviously.

You are asking yourself some excellent questions. Even though all of are anxious to have the best medical care, and pretty darn soon, if you please , maybe you do need to take a minute, or 2 or 3, to sit back, answer your questions, and then make your next move(s) depending on how you REALLY feel then.

I have spent many a night thinking exactly what you wrote "I need some sleep and to stop thinking". It seemed like my mind was a whirlwind of thoughts. Slow it down if you can so you can make the best, rationale decision for you.

I wish you the very, very best. Restful sleep, clear thinking, decisions you trust.
Unread 05-07-2002, 04:50 PM
hugs always help

Thanks for the hugs! They always help and one can never have too many.

As for knowing the doctor, the answer is no not really. My regular doc gave me the name of someone she knew in my insurance plan. She gave me several names and I just picked one.

And yes, I am sitting back and looking at this again. I'm going to see my regular doc tomorrow and I'll get a scrip for BCP. I don't want to take them. And to be fair, I haven't taken BCP since I was 22 years old so I'm sure they've changed. But I don't want to spend from now until menopuase on them as that is a long way off.

And tonight I will be sleeping the sleep of the heavily drugged!
Unread 05-07-2002, 05:17 PM
uh, thanks doc. not!

Sounds to me like you need to fire your doc and hire a better one, just like you'd do with a painter or repair person who didn't give you the service you deserved and paid for.

Doctors will never learn that they have to listen to us until they stop getting away with not listening to us but still collecting their paychecks.

But that's just me.

I know finding a new doc is a drag, but unless your current doc has some persuasive apologies and brand-new motivation to help you, why stick with him? A wonderful doc could be right around the corner.

Melissa
Unread 05-07-2002, 05:40 PM
uh, thanks doc. not!

First of all Jo, s

Sounds like time for a new doctor. When my insurance co. denied my hyst, the girl that handles surgeries in my doctor's office told me my doctor was furious. He tried to get ahold of the review doctor, but he was out that day. Teresa, in the office, said it was a good thing, cause my doctor was !!

Good luck and don't give up!!!
Unread 05-07-2002, 06:04 PM
uh, thanks doc. not!

Hi, Jo - Here's another HUG for you!!!

I'm with Melissa and Debi (hmm..3 of us from Washington State, all in a row, all saying the same stuff Go Pacific Northwet!! :-)))

I would be looking at a new doctor to follow your care, no matter what! I know how frustrating it is to have to choose a doctor that you don't know based on who your insurance plan will approve. Been there with my thyroidectomy - fortunately I got a great surgeon.

You might want to speak to friends, and see if they can refer you to someone they like. Then check and see if they're covered in your plan.

Good luck with it, Jo - we're all thinking of you. Go throw some of those lemons hard!!!

Cheers.
Unread 05-07-2002, 06:28 PM
uh, thanks doc. not!

Dear Jo,

I remember from reading some of your earlier posts that the doctor you went to had given you a choice of the BCP, Lupron or a hyst. Since the hyst is major surgery, it may be that the insurance company denied it because they felt that the other two alternatives would be better for you.

Now - I know that they have not seen you and that it doesn't seem at all fair that a stranger can make a decision like that without having more information. And since your doctor refused to talk with them, that didn't help.

But now you have the opportunity to seek a second or even a third opinion on what is best for your health and to build up a relationship with the doctor who will be doing the surgery, if that is what you eventually do have to have done.

You might also want to visit the Alternatives and Options Forum here https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...hp?s=&forumid.

Please don't let this set-back upset you too much, it may be for the best in the long run. Please let us know what you decide.

's

Karen
Unread 05-07-2002, 08:38 PM
uh, thanks doc. not!

Jo,

I've had many doctors over the last few years. I know how you feel about having to switch after thinking you were secure. I recently (Due to the strangest of circumstances) switched doctors 2 weeks prior to surgery. I know there is a sense of security that comes along with it. The rings we jump through, the meds we take...that all seems to pale when you realize that you have to learn to trust someone new with your life. When you've been "burned" by one, you are leery of the next. It is one of the most PRESONAL relationships you can ever encounter. This isn't your hurt feeligns, or a broken date, this is your LIFE!

Just like in love, you can't risk long term misery by being afraid to step out and try for something better.

I want to share my opinion here, but PLEASE, do what your heart tells you to do!! You sound like a very intelligent woman, and I'm sure your choice will be the best one for you! Personally, I wouldn't choose to use a doctor who showed a level of inconsideration such as he. Take your story to your next doctor. Explain to him the gravity of the situation and your comfort level with a hyst as a treatment. You will be surprised at how much a good doctor really can care about making you feel better. NOT only physically, but emotionally as well.

Take the sign the universe handed you...and find yourself the Doc that you won't question. Your healing and peace of mind will do more good for you than the additonal waiting time will do harm.

Praying for you,
Joby

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register