uh, thanks doc. not! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

uh, thanks doc. not! uh, thanks doc. not!

Unread 05-08-2002, 05:39 AM
Hello

Yup it is time to switch Dr's. It makes me so when I hear that kind of stuff. I live in Canada so insurance is never an issue.

Take care and good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2002, 06:32 AM
options

First, I want to say thanks for all your support. I'm going to see what the regular doc says about the GYN today.

As for the other options, BCP and Lupron, the GYN said I had them as options. And when I told him what I had decided - a hyst - he agreed. So did he or didn't he think a hyst was appropriate?

Everything I read said the non-surgical treatments were simply that, treatments. I'm looking for cure. Lupron just has too many side effects that I am unwilling to deal with.

As for BCP, I'd be willing to try them if someone told me that they would actually be of some benefit. The periods are bad enough and perhaps they would even do something for the pain but how will BCP pills stop me from wetting myself?

And it seemed from my reading that as soon as you stopped the treatment that the problem came back often worse.

From where I sit, and I know that I haven't had 1/2 the problems many here have had, I can't imagine worse.

I admit I'm a "get it done and over with" person. If a hyst fixes the problem, then fix it. I don't want to be dealing with this next year or the year after etc.
Unread 05-08-2002, 06:44 AM
uh, thanks doc. not!

What your dr. say about you wetting yourself? If that's the case you may need to see a urologist. Often times they can act as a "second opinion". I was told by a urologist that only a hysterectomy would help my problem but I also required another procedure by the urologist. If it is adenomyosis BCP will not cure it and it would mean you would have to take them till menopause to control bleeding and pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2002, 06:58 AM
I'm so sorry

Jo,

I'm so sorry you have to go to this. Just my oppioion but if my doctor did that to me I wouldn't go see him anymore. Cause the way I think of it is if he is like that now, I sure wouldn't let him operate on me. I sure hope and pray you find the right doctor and they work with you and do what is the best thing for you. I just feel so bad for you haveing to go through this, you don't deserve all of this crap. Good luck and you are in my thoughts and prayer.
Lots of hugs going to you,
Gina
Unread 05-08-2002, 07:12 AM
uh, thanks doc. not!

You may be already seeing your GP by now but if you haven't, try to find a uro/gyn or urologist that specializes in women that are or may have hysterectomies dealing with incontinence issues. At minimum if the urologist says something about a hysterectomy to help fix your problem that may get insurance to approve it. They know other dr's since they sometimes do surgeries with gyns so they may actually be able to refer you in with a better gyn. Good luck.
Unread 05-08-2002, 07:44 AM
uh, thanks doc. not!

CM-

When I first told the GYN about the "wetting" problem he told me my uterus was pushing on my bladder and he would expect that. Interestingly, after my last pelvic the "wetting" became much worse. I would stand up and just start to go and I wouldn't feel anything until I felt the, uh, shall we call it the warmth.

And then after our (DH and me) last attempt (again unsuccessful - grr) to be intimate the problem went back to how it was prior to the pelvic. My guess is the doctor moved things around and my DH moved them back. LOL Its still unacceptable, but at least I know when its going to happen. There are urologists that specialize in women?

And no, the doctor has not responded to me at all regarding the increased bladder problem. I guess unless there is a miracle change in his behavior, I have my answer. Time to change doctors.

Oy! The stress that the mere thought of that brings. I've put off even going to the doctor for so long because I have a really hard time with the whole GYN thing. Without going into all the details, Therapy helped me get over and deal with so much garbage but I've never been able to get past that part of it. I have to take valium just to have a pap and an internal sonogram. And to start over ... I guess I just have to dig deep and pull it off.

And I'm even boring myself with all this whining.
Unread 05-08-2002, 10:17 AM
uh, thanks doc. not!

You need to feel comfortable with your DR so looking for another one is perfectly acceptable.

But you do need to remember that unless a DR feels this is the ONLY option available to you the insurance co is justified in wanting other things tried before surgery, because most hysts are elective surgeries.

Sorry, I didn't see what your symptoms were. 3-1/2 years ago I had my first period that didn't want to end. I went to my PCP. He found the fibroids and also a polyp on my cervix. He removed the polyp and sent me to a gyn about the fibroids. He felt a hyst would probably be in order. The gyn (who I absolutely adore and I've been seeing ever since) said a hyst was probably down the road but first she had to try alternatives. At that time my fibroids were 6 week preg size. She said 12- 16 week size was kind of automatic for a hyst. She put me on provera 11 days a month to control the bleeding. It did it's job til last October, then I started bleeding and continued for 46 days. At that point my fibroids had grown to a 16 week size. DR said it's time to decide if I wanted a hyst.

The day I scheduled I had a conference with the insurance person in her office and she said that due the length of time we had tried the provera, the size of my fibroids, and other symptoms there wouldn't be a problem with the ins co, and there wasn't.

Good luck with your search for another DR, but don't be too upset if they suggest other options first.
Unread 05-08-2002, 04:49 PM
don't yell at me but;

Joe,

Everyone has a good point of view and I know you are upset at your doctor and rightly so...but I wanted to share with you another side.
I've worked for doctors and in one office my main job was referrals. Every denial or acceptance stems from the office girl who does the request for the surgery. I always added extra history to substantiate the reason for the procedure. If my referral was denied, I took it upon myself to call the insurance co and ask exactly what it is that they need. Often there is a criteria which sometimes can be gotten around! I would review ideas with the doctor on a different approach, gather more medical data and then write a short, precise appeals letter directed to the doctor or advisor who denied me in the first place. More often than not, I could reverse the decision this way.
Also, don't yell at me but; the insurance companys are truly impossible to deal with and my point is, if the doctor has a good referral girl he should not have to speak to an insurance co. On the other hand...if you have not complied to the minimal required options, all hands are tied until you have satisfied your ins co.
If you decide to stay with this doctor....get in the lap of the referral girl and ask to see your referral, your denial and letter of appeal. Kindness will always help, but if she seems unqualified to fight for you, ask to speak with the office manager. I never had a patient write their own appeals letter but.... If someone doesn't take an interest in your case you will fall between the cracks.
I wouldn't blame you if you looked for another more compatible physican...at least one who could return a call to his patient within a resonable time. I'm so sorry you are having this bad experience. Keep us informed of your progress.

Maralyn
Unread 05-08-2002, 06:53 PM
uh, thanks doc. not!

Hi

so sorry for the extra stress of all of this!

My thoughts? If you're not 'emotionally attached' to this doctor, I would recommend getting a second opinion.

Hey! I almost went with a guy that was determined to do the whole surgery HIS way......some sisters here kicked me good in the pants on that one. I now have THE DOCTOR! Check out the 'found' thread.

Regardless, go back...document your problems, list your symptoms & when they started. Chart your flow. Go back at least 4 to 6 months. List your concerns & what you hope to have 'fixed'. Take this in to your gen - & take more copies in to your NEW gyn!

I worry that regardless of the circumstances, if this doctor isn't 'volleying' the ball back to you, then I worry he's really wanting to play the game.

Best of luck & let us know how things go!

Unread 05-09-2002, 08:10 AM
chapter 800

I wanted to have time to type a book so I had to wait until today. LOL Good grief this is long!

Yesterday I went to see my regular doctor, KL. I love this woman! She comes in the room and the first thing she says is, "I can't believe you didn't have he surgery." She spent an hour with me. And today my head is in a better place just knowing that someone is helping.

We discussed the options that really don't exist, Lupron and BCP. I outlined the benefits and adverse conditions of each as I understood them and asked if I had missed anything. She told me even nastier things about the Lupron than I had read and with regard to BCP, the only thing I didn't know was they would help some with the contracting of my uterus. But they will not make my uterus shrink, they will not make my uterus not push on my bladder and they will not make the pain go away but with the contracting relaxing, the pain may ease. The bleeding aspect of adenomyosis for me is a pain but it only lasts a week, not the weeks and months that other women have.

She was appalled by the insurance company and surpirsed my GYN didn't pursue it further. She calls over to my GYN and talks to his assistant because he's off until Monday. (maybe I'm glad I didn't have my surgery on the 7th). She tells KL that he declined to speak with the insurance company further because he sent everything he had and its been his experience that the insurance companies just do what they want anyway. And if I'll just do a month of BCP they'll approve the surgery.

KL then points out that BCP never should have been an option because I smoke. GYN's office says my chart doesn't say that. KL asks me if they asked me that. I say I honestly don't remember but if they asked I answered honestly. (they asked all the questions and filled out the paperwork) KL then points out to GYN office that she sent my entire chart over and it is all over my chart because she and I discuss quitting options all the time and if anyone had actually taken the time to review everything that they would have seen that both at the GYN and the insurance company. KL will be speaking with my GYN on Monday when he gets back to see what he is going to do.

One of the problems as I see it, is the referal person at the GYN was on vacation while all this was happening. She really seemed to be in my corner in the beginning and I think with the new information that they didn't seem to have, she'll be back in my corner.

KL is sending a letter and my chart to the insurance company and pointing out to them that they missed a biggie, I smoke. She is also calling the review doctor. She's going to fight for me. And she's fighting for the 21st of May.

In the meantime she's helping with the pain and wetting. She gave me Percocet so I can sleep and get some relief in the evenings. She said take one, take two. Just sleep. She gave me more Celebrex and told me to take one every 12 hours. She also gave me the newest wonder drug, Ditrol (sp?). I call it my anti-pee-pill. For 12 hours I have now not dribbled or wet myself. Now I know that may run into the TMI zone but you have no idea how great this is.

I asked about going to the urologist. KL said if I had the problem after I have my hyst go see the urologist. Otherwise, its a waste of my time and energy.

And the denial letter which the insurance company said was mailed on the 1st arrived yesterday, postmarked the 7th. So nice they follow all their rules. The letter should have been mailed within 48 hours of the "no" answer. According to their records, I was denied on the 29th of April.

Today I am faxing over the denial letter to the OAG office along with a letter of my own. Now that will be a letter to read! And I think while I'm on a roll, the insurnace company is getting yet another phone call.

Thanks Ladies!

Jo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register