supra cervical hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

supra cervical hysterectomy supra cervical hysterectomy

Unread 05-07-2002, 06:33 PM
supra cervical hysterectomy

I was wondering if anyone out there has had a abdominal supra-cervical hysterectomy? my surgery is set for may 13. Only 6 days away!!!! I do not feel scared now, but will probably be a wreck on Mon. morning! We decided to do one b/c i have very large fibroids that make my uterus about the size of 14-16 weeks pregnant. We are keeping my ovaries and my cervix. I really don't want to take hormones! Yuck. Hopefully she doesn't find anything else while she is in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2002, 07:05 PM

Hi!
I'm actually having a supracervical hysterectomy (ovaries out, too) tomorrow (5/8) and wish I could fill you in on my details! Maybe I'll be able to check in later this week and do just that! I did a lot of research on the procedure on the internet, just by typing the procedure name into the search engine. Also, this site has a good amount of information and links on it...you can use the search feature here. Here's a great story about one sister's experience with it:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sh...=&threadid=8492

Here's a big ...just for you!

Carol
Unread 05-07-2002, 07:19 PM
supra cervical

I too am schedued for the same procedure May 28 Please Please let me know how I can be of any help. I to am wigging out I've not slept good since this was scheduled. I am having this done do to large fibroid Uterus approx size of 12-14 week pregnancy and hope to keep ovaries as well. Good Luck keep in touch
Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2002, 07:42 PM

Kinkoid

we are date and procedure mates!

I will keep you in my thoughts on Monday (when I am awake).

I am in N. California and scheduled for 7:30 AM. How 'bout you?

Take care!

Shielah
Unread 05-07-2002, 09:44 PM

The best wishes to you all...
I am 7 days pre op for a LSH. My opinion, it is the way to go.
I was sooooooooooo pleasantly surprised that I woke up to the feeling of pressure to urinate........ no pain!
That was my biggest fear.
Take care
Donna
Unread 05-08-2002, 04:49 AM
SAH

Had mine 9/21/02. Was absolutely terrified. I have a bikini line incision, which has healed nicely. I walked into the hospital Friday at 6am, walked out Sunday at 1pm.

I did NOT want visitors at the hospital, didn't want them at home for the first week either, but that might just be me. I did run a low grade fever for about a week. Took me about 5 days to feel like eating anything.

DH stayed home with me the first week. I was ready for him to go back to work after two days at home, he was making me nuts. Staples came out (painless, in case you're worried) one week after surgery. I went to a soccer game one week after surgery, was allowed to drive at two weeks after surgery. Your individual results may differ.

I'm one of the folks that have mini periods, despite my doc's efforts to prevent it (cut very low, cauterized a couple of times). Not a big deal in my mind - doesn't hurt, and in my case it is very very minimal spotting for about 24 hours. Pantyliner stuff, almost not noticable. Hey, I know my ovaries are still working. I had to have a scope done last month and the doc wanted to dilate the cervix while I was out and recauterize - I declined. Can't emphasize enough that its no big deal and I don't remember reading about more than one or two other folks with minis on this list.

How do I feel? 100000% improvement.

I was walking an indoor track and attending training sessions at work at 2 weeks. I went back full time at 7 weeks, wasn't quite ready at 6 weeks. I felt better pretty quickly, but not "all better" for a while. I did have some issues in my recovery, but at 8 months post op I'm feeling great. I'm still immediately "uncomfortable" if I try to lift anything heavy, but I have two teen boys that will just have to take care of lifting.

Let me know if I can help calm your fears or address any concerns.
Unread 05-08-2002, 05:15 AM

I am less than two weeks away and scheduled for a TAH/BSO. I am thinking I want a SAH/BSO. Can those you you who have decided to keep your cervix share with me the reasons why you wanted to keep it.

Thanks so much.

Caren
Unread 05-08-2002, 05:59 AM
Why?

I was terrified of wrecking my sex life, also knew someone who had vaginal vault prolapse. My "luck" with medical procedures is pretty poor - if something can go wrong it usually will. Based on my almost irrational fears, my doc suggested SAH instead of the original LAVH. I still was really worked up about it, because a vaginal procedure is supposed to be a lot easier to recover from.

I had two prior abdominal surgeries, so there was a risk that the dr would run into adhesions and end up having to abandon the vaginal process and open me up anyway. The fear of the "unknown" was just too much, so I finally just said to perform the open procedure and keep everything that wasn't causing a problem, that I would trust the dr's judgement and if the cervix and ovaries were gone when I woke up that I would deal with it.

I woke up with both the cervix and ovaries intact.

It is my understanding that most women are very happy sexually post op - cervix or no cervix.
Unread 05-12-2002, 05:32 PM
Had SAH and love it

I had a SAH on 2/25 and I love it now. I'm not going to lie for the first two weeks I questioned myself why, why, why did I do this. For me my pain issues were not being addressed. Just make sure that your DR gives you pain medication and if it doesn't work, don't hesitate to call back and INSIST that you have something stronger. For me, this website was a Godsend. I had most of my questions answered here and didn't have to constantly call my DR. It also helped me to know when to call my DR. Wish I had discovered it before I went to the castle. Good luck.
Unread 05-13-2002, 12:44 AM

I had my SAH on 3/20 and am very happy with it! I had my surgery at a teaching hospital, and the chief resident who did most of my care was thrilled that I requested a SAH! She feels (as I do) that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My cervix and ovaries were very healthy, and I had already decided that if they were, I wanted them to stay. My understanding is that even in post-menopausal women, the ovaries and cervix (and uterus if it's still there) still produce beneficial hormones. The cervix provides support to the pelvic floor, and for some women also plays a part in sexual response.

I would have had no problem with the removal of my cervix and/or ovaries if something had been wrong with them, but they were fine and I really didn't want to part with anything that was still in good shape. The ovaries haven't kicked back in yet, and if they don't in another month or so I'll probably go on some kind of HRT, but even if that happens I'm still glad I made the decision to keep them.

Good luck with your surgery and s to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register