Vaginal Strep infection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Strep infection Vaginal Strep infection

Unread 05-07-2002, 09:27 PM
Vaginal Strep infection

Does anyone have experience with having a vaginal strep infection? I am 5 months post-op BAH/BSO and have been doing well until the last month. I started really burning and feeling discomfort in my vagina and whole area of skin around it and thought it was a yeast infection since I'm prone to have these. But I wasn't itching like I usually do. I took Diflucan but didn't improve. Nurse practioner thought it sounded like a bacterial infection since I also told her I had discharge with "fishy" odor. Gave me Metrogel. It did not improve and in the meantime I developed burning lips and tongue and area around mouth felt cracked and looked red and skin peeling. She(NP) did a culture but gave me Diflucan again as she was sure it looked like yeast. She also gave me Nystatin for mouth. Now the Dr. calls after a week and says culture shows a strep infection in vagina. Gave me Keflex 500 mg. antibiotic 4 times a day. Says it should take care of strep. However, now my lips and area around lips are getting worse again. I believe I do have a yeast infection in my mouth as I have had that before. I have read about streptococcal vaginosis on web which says it usually occurs when pH is out of whack in vagina(usually pregnant ladies). But it also occurs after a hyst when cuff of cervix(think that's what they called it) get infected and can be dangerous.

Help! Do I take my med and see if it's improving or do I need to call my gyn who did the surgery? I'm getting a little uncomfortable with this going on for the 4th week now.
Anyone have any advice. Thanks for listening to my details!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2002, 06:19 AM
Vaginal Strep infection

hi lin,
i do know that it's possible to have a yeast and bacterial infection at the same time (i have had many but not strep). in my experience the dr's treat the bacteria first (since it's more dangerous) and then they treat the yeast. i would call the NP back and see if you take the keflex then when done take yeast med's or do you take them both at the same time. i would also call your gyn and ask his opinion of your diagnosis. he may want you to come in to see for himself. i have had yeast in my mouth before and it is really wierd, but i don't think strep is anything you should fool around with. now that i think of it my daughter hes had tons of strep throat infections and it has affected her lips before. also when you have a bad infection the symptoms can worsen the first day on the med (antibiotic) then they start to get better.
Unread 05-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Vaginal strep infection

Hi Cynthia,
Thanks for the reply and advice. I did call the Dr. and they said I need to finish the antibiotic and then probably will have to treat the yeast again. I just may go on and get app. with gyn in case this doesn't clear up. It takes awhile to get in. Isn't it awful all the complications we can have in our bodies. Maybe the med will clear this up soon. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2002, 02:45 PM
Vaginal Strep infection

I have been where you are. I started with a yeast infection that bounced to a bacterial infection and back and forth. Treatment for one would bring on the other. Upon changing doctors I later found that these things are the results of a need for replacment of Vaginal estrogen. This can be done by using prescribed vaginal creams, Vagifem vaginal tablets, or Estring. I tried Premarin cream which I had an allergic reaction to, Vagifem which helped a lot but never totally alleviated my burning and now I am currently on Estring. The Estring seems to be working well for me. In the middle of the game, after starting on the Vagifem it was also discovered that I am my DH had a strept infection. We both had to take a round of Augmentin. I have finally after 6 mos found a stable place in my life. I have discovered that certain lubricants, sugary foods and lack of estrogen all add to my vaginal burning and irritations. I did not ever experience the mouth problems you have. It is very possible to have a yeast & bacterial infection at the same time. A good home remedy that my doctor recommended I do while taking antibiotics is to douche with 3 drops of tea tree oil to 1 quart of warm water. Be sure the water is boiled and cooled first if you are on a well. The Tea Tree oil will take care of yeast infections quite well. It also has healing properties. You can find it at GNC or other type places. It is very strong, so don't use a lot or you will experience vaginal burning. 3 drops is plenty in the douche to do the trick. Douche with this mix once daily for 5 days for routine problems or until you finish your antibiotics. If you have any questions you can email me. I hope this is not too confusing for you.
Unread 02-03-2003, 09:13 AM
strep infection

Hi I just got a call from my Doctor, she did cultures and found out I had yeast and strep B, which she says is normal in the vagina, but can get bad if left untreated. Now I have cream for the yeast, and something else for the strep B. I guess you have to treat the yeast first then the strep. I have to due the cream then friday the other stuff. angie
Unread 02-03-2003, 09:16 AM
hi

Me again,, where did you find info on the strep B infection, been trying to find it on the web but cant. angie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register