Mirena coil | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Mirena coil

Hi, been to see the gynaecologist today after a diagnosis of fibroids and adenomyosis. He has suggested I try the Mirena coil for 6 months to see if my symptoms ( Heavy bleeding, clots, foul smelling blood, pain almost throughout the month including terrible backache... like labour) improve. Having read up on the Mirena and its possible side effects, I am worried that I may feel worse. Has anybody else tried this? I don't respond well to hormones ( was given these for another problem a few years ago and felt sick and faint all of the time) and had a coil fitted between my two children... I did not like it at all. I have to also have a biopsy at the time of the coil fitting AWAKE!! Not afraid to admit that I'm a little scared. Can anyone offer any advice. Thankyou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Re: Mirena coil

The Mirena didn't work for me for fibroids and adenomyosis. It *did* decrease the monthly bleeding. However, I had one fibroid start to grow rapidly and had UFE done. That did shrink that fibroid but I started having the bulk symptoms again plus pain everyday and would bleed for weeks at a time. During my surgery, the surgeon also found severe adhesions between the uterus and rectum and sigmoid which were probably contributing to much of my pain. I'm 2 weeks hysterectomy post-op and feel fantastic. Also be aware that if your fibroids have also caused an enlarged uterus, the Mirena may not stay in place. Mine had wandered and was partially in the myometrium.

ETA, I've had 4 endometrial biopsies. 3 were a piece of cake; 600-800 mg ibuprofen beforehand and I was good to go. The last one I had before hysterectomy surgery was pretty darn painful. Not sure how I stayed on the table! But I had been having pain everyday at that point so I wasn't surprised. And the insertion of the Mirena wasn't bad either. But I had the biopsy done at an earlier appointment, not at the same time.
Unread 06-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Mirena coil

Thanks vie, that's interesting. May I ask were your symptoms with the uterus problem causing any bladder or bowel problems before the Dr discovered your ahesions? I am having issues on and off with both, but as us women do, you just get on with things. I am so reluctant to have the coil but kind of felt backed into a corner with it today. Says we really need to try an alternative before hysterectomy. He did however reassure me that should it not work, he will ( and he gave his word) do a hysterectomy. I kind of just don't see the point in another 6 months of problems. I have 2 grown up daughters and was sterilised aged 28 so my uterus, well it's been of no use to me since then! He said I had probably had fibroids all of my life which I found strange as I've never been told this before. And here we are 2.21 am British summer time and I'm awake with period pain! The joys of being a woman. Oh and vie, I have gastritis and cannot take ibuprofen. I will end up with worse pain.... they leave me in agony. Will another painkiller be ok do you think?
Thankyou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2015, 09:28 AM

Yes, frequency of urination and constipation and some intestinal spasms had become the norm. Ughh, it's sad to admit that we do seem to put up with a lot. Most of the urinary symptoms were resolved after the UFE but eventually came back but were not as intense. The constipation got worse as did the pain. Adenomyosis can also cause pain so sometimes it was hard to pinpoint if it was uterus or not.

2 weeks after though and I am not having the burning, diffuse pelvic pain. The intestinal cramps are still there somewhat but I was told they should eventually go sway. As of right now, I will continue to take stool softeners. My bladder did seem to take a couple of days to behave and I have had some periods of frequency and spasm but that is definitely decreasing. And of course, no more bleeding!!

Your symptoms now sound like me right before surgery. I was worried that they were not severe enough to warrant a major life disruption (I could carry on with my life but there were many days that I certainly was not 100% and I really need 100% for my job). So I decided that if I could do something to restore my quality of life than I was going to do it! We are very short staffed at work so it was stressful to tell my supervisor that I was going to be out for 4-6 weeks.

My doctor still tried to get me to try alternatives. However, that slightly annoyed me as two of the alternatives we had already discussed and agreed would probably not work; I had already tried one of them with another physician. But, he was very willing to do the surgery at my request and conceded that I should feel a lot better with the adhesions taken care of.
Unread 06-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Mirena coil

Vie, Thanks for your reply to this thread. Although it's not nice that you went and are still going through problems, it's reassuring to know that it's not all in my head and there is indeed a link between the issues discussed. I went for 10 days a few months ago without a bowel movement and it was so uncomfortable. Now I'm going through a phase of needing to visit 3 or 4 times a day.... quickly! As for urination, I go through phases where I am going very frequently then others where I need to go but I just can't. I do have a small prolapse ( which the Dr's want to just watch) The consultant said from the size of my womb he would possibly be able to do a vaginal removal which from what I read is a shorter recovery. Still absolutely dreading this biopsy and coil but feel I have no other option but to try. I'm relieved I'm not just being a hypochondriac and that my symptoms are actually real. Thanks again.
Unread 06-12-2015, 11:22 AM

The coil didn't help me. I also do not do well with hormonal changes but my doctor wanted me to try it for my adenomyosis pain.

Before getting it, my periods were starting to last longer and longer, clots every time I used the bathroom, the size of baby carrots. Also intense labor like pain for three days a month, plus early labor type pain for about a week out of the month.

In addition, whenever my uterus hurt, my bladder and bowel movements hurt to the point of crying everytime i went to the bathroom. I would feel like I had to pee all the time, like the slightest amount in my bladder would hurt it.

After the Mirena my periods immediately became much lighter and the clots were much smaller. I am 7 months in and I need only a panty liner maybe 2 days a month, and the rest of the time is very very light spotting every other day.

BUT, while the pain is less in intensity, it is more in quantity of days. I have moderate labor like pain almost every other day, major bloating during pain days, and the pain gets worse with each month.

As far as side effects from the mirena, it's been tough. I've gained 15lbs, I feel like crap, my boobs are very sore, my libido was gone for the first 6 months, intense pelvic pain during and after sex, bleeding after sex, mood swings, and horrific acne. It's like being pregnant and pmsing at the same time, all the time.

It also gave me a cyst on my ovary that caused constant pain for 6 weeks. It did finally go away and it was right before a doctors appointment so I forgot to mention it to him.
Unread 06-12-2015, 03:31 PM

I believe side effects of the Mirena are also ovarian cysts, not for me cause I already lost one ovary to cysts. My Dr said it might help with the bleeding but probably not the pain. But the hyst took care of the pain. Yeah !
Unread 06-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Mirena coil

Thank you ladies for sharing all of your experiences. It frustrates me that the gynaecologists won't or don't understand the impact these symptoms have on everyday life. After all, most are men and so have never experienced a period pain in their lives. Looks like I'm in for a rocky ride. I have always suffered with acne as it is so really not looking forward to that. Seems by all of your experiences all that the Mirena coil does is reduce bleeding. I wish that was the only symptom I had to suffer!! I know my body, I know that hormone in any form doesn't like my body. I will give it a go as it seems I don't have any other option right now. Any bad side effects I will insist they remove it. We all know our own bodies and what's good for them. I will give you all an update when the awful thing has been put in. Thanks everyone.
Unread 06-12-2015, 04:54 PM

Yes I wanted an end to the pain and all the symptoms. So glad I have my life back now. Adeno was awful and only was getting worse.
Unread 06-13-2015, 09:32 PM

Previously, I had a mirena for five years and I was really happy with it but at that time I didn't have my current fibroid issues. My period was more like minimal spotting monthly and no noticeable side effects.

I am six weeks post myomectomy and ablation and decided to go back to mirena. Hoping it helps decrease regrowth and bleeding.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register