Size of a 30 week pregnancy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Size of a 30 week pregnancy Size of a 30 week pregnancy

Unread 05-08-2002, 04:32 PM
Size of a 30 week pregnancy

This is my first post. Must say information received so far has been very valuable. I went to the doctor to get results of ultrasound and was told that I had one large fibroid 29 cm (do not recall other dimensions). I am having a total hysterectomy and will have to have a verticial incision. Surgery was scheduled for 7/2. I've been told that even after removal of fibroid, belly would not go down. Needless to say, this is upsetting. I don't have any other symptoms, but I am almost 52 years old and I look six to seven months pregnant and can't wear any of my clothes (size 10-12). One of my main concerns is that once my uterus has been removed, will any of the other major organs be damaged. Would I have some symptoms now? The only time I've been in the hospital was to have children, now 28 and 25 years old so if this post seems to be rambling, it's because I get nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2002, 04:37 PM

Hi and welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I'm 10 weeks post-op and my tummy is still there, but it's going down. My doctor told me 6-12 months for the swelling. I think everyone is really different with this. I had a horizontal incision.

Have you read the pull-down menus on the main page yet? www.hystersisters.com There is a lot of information on this site and those menus helped me answer questions and gather questions for me to ask my doctor.

Sara
Unread 05-08-2002, 04:54 PM

Hey dcopelyn, I just had my surgery last week for 4 fibroids about 4 cm each and was told the same thing. But let me tell you, even with the swelly belly, I can tell a difference. Not alot, but I can tell an area in front is flatter, where it was pooching out. And I'm a size 14-16. How could you not have a flatter belly with something that size! Geez!

Maybe the Dr means you won't just won't look like Brittany Spears or something..

Don't be too nervous. I had NEVER been in a hostpital, I had my kids at home. But getting so much rest and attention was kind of refreshing! ; )

Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2002, 05:27 PM

DCopelyn, I agree with Sherry, it surely does seem that removal of such a large fibroid will do something, at least, to reduce a stomach! I'm no doctor and shouldn't speculate, but since you probably really need to have this surgery, wait and see, and perhaps it will work. I'm really hoping that my fibroid removal (about 18 week) will help out in that department as well!

I understand that the doctors have so much experience in doing this operation that there is rarely any damage to another organ.

Please keep up your spirits, hope for the best, and keep in touch. I've never been in a hospital either - no kids or anything - and I'm just waiting and gathering information. Keep in touch!

Pellice
Unread 05-08-2002, 05:39 PM

Hi dcopelyn,

I want to welcome you to Hystersisters, too.

I am 56 and had my hyst because of prolapses. I still get a swelly belly at times (like tonight), but I didn't have fibroids, so I can't really answer your question about the size of your belly eventually going down.

You will probably have a pre-op appointment and at that time you may want to ask your doctor to explain why he said there'll be no difference after surgery. Maybe he meant immediately after, and not long-term?

's

Karen
Unread 05-09-2002, 10:55 AM

Thanks guys for replying so soon. I really need this website. Please let me clear something up. My doctor, who I think is wonderful, did not tell me that my belly wouldn't go down, just other well meaning acquaintances who feel obligated to share their experiences (positive and negative.)
Unread 05-10-2002, 07:51 PM

Hi there,
I had a really large fibroid too. I had a TAH/BSO 3 1/2 weeks ago. You will be so amazed at how good it feels to have that thing gone and be able to breathe again. My fibroid was huge and I have had a remarkable recovery. Nothing was damaged or bothered in any way.

My belly is not as big now. It was so swollen before and I looked so pregnant. There is a difference now but what I notice the most is not having to struggle to breathe. Do you notice how tight it is to breathe? Just imagine when that goes away. It is great!

Take care, Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register