flax seed recipes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

flax seed recipes flax seed recipes

Unread 05-08-2002, 07:04 PM
flax seed recipes

My doctor told me I should have 1/4 cup of flax seed incorporated into my diet.

I just bought flax seed for the first time and didn't really know what to do with it so I put it in my salad. It was pretty yummy. Of course everything seems yummy lately.

Does anyone have any recipes that incorporates flax seed? What are your favorite ways to eat it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2002, 07:33 PM
Banana Flax Muffins!

Here's my recipe for banana flax muffins:

1/2 Cup Bisquick
1/4 Cup Flax Meal (Ground Flax Seed)
1 Egg
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Medium Mashed Banana

Use 6 paper cupcake holders in a muffin pan.
Fill muffin cups with mixture.
Bake @ 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Makes 6 muffins.

Each muffin=95 calories, 4g of fat, 3g Protein

Best wishes,
Cheryl CO
Unread 05-08-2002, 07:56 PM
sisterneed's recipes

OK Ladys you better get a pen to write this one down,
READY? I open the bottle and I put the flaxseed oil in the center of my mouth, then I take some juice and............. Oh I just remembered! I can't tell you any more its a family secert recipe,

Just "SIS being silly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2002, 08:06 PM
flax seed recipes

Hi,
I buy organic flex seed and the bottle says not to cook with it.
I stir it into cooked Oatmeal on salads and even spread a teaspoon on sandwich there is also a ceral to check out Uncle Sam cereal made with crushed flex seeds 1/4 cup seems like quite a bit of fat its also a lacitive. I use 1 Tablespoon a day and follow Sugar busters and lost 30 lbs pre op. Ate everything and gained back 20, but I have now lost 2 1/4.
Unread 05-08-2002, 09:02 PM
flax seed recipes

I'm making those banana flax muffins tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hungry again,
Maggie

PS Prevention magazine says to ground the flax seeds or buy them ground because you will absorb thebeneficial oil better. When the seeds are whole we tend to "pass" them out of us.
Unread 05-08-2002, 09:04 PM
flax seed recipes

I should say, in all honesty, that I have never cooked with the flax seeds but have been reading about it. I take the oil in a capsule, but they are supposed to be great to bake with.
Maggie
Unread 05-09-2002, 07:13 AM
thank you ladies

Hey, thanks for the tips. My doctor said that he takes flax seed everyday for nutritional benefit. I think he just takes the pills. I hadnt thought that if they weren't ground up they would just pass right through.

The sugar busters diet sounds interesting. I did the carbohydrate addict diet a couple of years ago and lost 25 lbs. I thought I was looking pretty good until I had the hyst! Now I've gained about 15 lbs. Yuck! I think I've learned to control my chocolate urges now but need to start a little more exercise! I've been such a slug lately.

Thanks again for the tips ladies.
Unread 05-09-2002, 02:20 PM
flax seed recipes

This is a great thread I am also wondering about flax seeds and how to best use them. I was told that cold pressed flax is better.... what on earth is that?

How do you grind them? They are sooooo tiny......

I am so thankful to hear (not that I'm rejoicing in your weight gains) that I am not alone here either... I've been on a binge that just wont stop it seems. Chocolate is at the top of my list. I'd lost 40 lbs over the past 2 years doing no sugar and little white carbs, but lately seem to crave it all again.

God Bless You Sisters and thanks for sharing too

Elaine
Unread 05-10-2002, 01:21 PM
flax seed recipes

You can grind flaxseed in a coffee bean grinder. I've also found that the grind setting in my blender works pretty well.

I like my flaxseed in smoothies - this is my favorite.

0.25 cup ground flaxseed
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
4 oz diced peaches
0.5 cup frozen blueberries
4 to 6 oz of yogurt
~ 6 oz soy milk (enough to smooth it out)

I frequently have this smoothie with a green salad for lunch. I think it's pretty good for muscle recovery after vigorous exercise, too.

If I've been good and exercised a lot I add a few tablespoons of frozen lemon ice for sweetness. If I haven't been exercising enough I leave out the peanut butter or yogurt.

You can use other fruits (bananas, pineapple...) or if you really want decadence, use chocolate syrup instead of fruit.
Unread 05-10-2002, 02:08 PM
flax seed recipes

OHHHH that sounds good I need to get a blender or a coffee grinder and soon

Thanks so much and love the companionship here.

God Bless,
Elaine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register