Did you keep your cervix or have it removed? And why. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did you keep your cervix or have it removed?  And why. Did you keep your cervix or have it removed? And why.

Unread 05-09-2002, 05:55 AM
Did you keep your cervix or have it removed? And why.

Hi,
I had TAH all removed but my cervix. I had a Bladder tuck(dont know all the abreviations) about 4 years ago. The doctors reason for keeping my cervix is because all the vaginal walls in there are in great shape, and sexual pleasure would continue to be good or better!
I have had problems with my bladder leaking prior to the TAH, even though I had this surgery.but am having much less problems as my healing continues.
Thats just my experience, though, and everyone has to make up their own mind with the advice of their doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2002, 06:04 AM

Well, as you can see, whether to keep it or not depends upon numerous factors. I never considered keeping it. Although my paps have always been normal, I have uterine/ovarian, and breast cancer in my family. The main reason for the surgery was a large ovarian mass. I am 44 and was perimenopausal. I had them take it all, including my cervix. My doctor asured me that we could adjust my HRT to smooth out any sexual issues. Since she'd had the same surgery 5 years before me, I tended to trust her perspective on it. In addition, I need to have some bladder repair work done. The urologist said that it was actually better to have my uterus gone so that it didn't cause my bladder surgery to reverse itself later.

I'm now 7 months post-op. I had no bladder accidents anymore, I have no pain, no periods, (luckily the mass was benign), no PMS, no perimenopause symptoms and am 23 lb lighter after being able to really stick to a diet and exercise program consistently for the first time in my adult life. Although my sex drive is lower, once we get started I have no trouble with the big "O" and it's just as satisfying as before. Bottom line, I would do it all again in a second.

Hope you find your middle ground and are happy with your decision.
Unread 05-09-2002, 06:14 AM

Hi,

I did not have a choice whether to keep my cervix or not. I had a TAH and many problems with my cervix. Bleeding after and during sex, painful cramping. I was told at both of the pre-op appts. that my cervix was going as well as my uterus.

They weren't sure what was going on inside my body. They saw fibroids on the many u/s I had, but there was adeno and multiple adhesions.

If I did have a choice? Take it out. Even though I still will have an annual exam each year, paps were always painful for me. I never could have a baby vaginally, which is why the adhesions, multiple cuts on my abdomen and uterus.

Everyone is different, with the issues of what to keep. I went back and forth with myself about my ovaries. In the end they were kept as there is no cancer in my family, anywhere and they looked perfect.

I have not noticed anything different with sex. Everything is working just fine! I did notice no PAIN or BLEEDING though. So, that's a good thing in my case! It's like being teens again, before the pain...

Good luck on your decision and make sure to keep us posted on what you did finally decide!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2002, 07:27 AM

Hi--adding my two cents here. I had my cervix removed because I also had to have cervical polyps removed on two different occasions in the past. Polyps are benign abnormal growths, as were the fibroids in and on my uterus. I figured abnormal growths were coming from something abnormal in the organs, and might as well have the cervix removed as well. While it never hurt to have the polyps removed, I figured if I was prone to getting them, my best option would be to have it taken out.

Trust in yourself to make the right decision--you have plenty of time yet. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for the best possible surgery/recovery.

Unread 05-09-2002, 07:40 AM

Thanks again to everyone. I have never had an abnormal pap. My mother has breast Cancer, but never any cervical problems. I am going to present my case "for" keeping my cervix and ask my gyn to present his case for removing it. Then weight the two and see where we end up. My Dr. has always been VERY open to doing what I want. He has said many times that it is completely my decision in all cases. He simply presents the facts as he feels them to be true and lets me make up my mind. He has made the comment more than once, it is my body and I have to be comfortable with all decisions made about it.

Thanks again. I look forward to more comments on this topic.

Caren
Unread 05-09-2002, 07:53 AM

Well I too had to add my 2 cents in! lol. My surgery was 3/28. TAH. Cervix is GONE! I was told by my girlfriends to keep the cervix because of the BIG "O"!!!!!!!!Well. Im a nurse I know anatomy. I know where the clit is!I could not understand what they were talking about! So.I asked my Dr! He was wonderful and explained about that"myth". I also asked him about the"bladder" issues . My Dr, is great. Ireally trust him too (thats important you must like and trust your Dr).Bottom line............It is your desision! YOUR choice!Good luck to you and everyone else debating keeping or not keeping the cerivix! Angela
Unread 05-09-2002, 07:57 AM

Cat, what did your doctor say about the bladder issue? That is the item I can't seem to get a single answer on. As you are a nurse and trust your doctor, I would value your input.

Pellice
Unread 05-09-2002, 08:26 AM

Pellice, I was afraid my bladder would" drop" and cause me to be incontient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!My Dr. assured me that would not happen. They "tie" and put things back so this does not happen!My husband told me he asked him questions about that too when I was pre op and druged!"My Dr. is excellant and I trust his skill. So far 6 weeks post op and no problem. Talk to you Dr. and expalin your fears. You need to be at peace. Every Dr.'s "skill" is different. Im not sure what the "stats" are on women having bladder problems post TAH. What part of NJ are you in and where are you having surgery? Well take care and keep in touch . Angela
Unread 05-09-2002, 10:17 AM

It was a personal choice for me. I had fibroids, no pain just pressure and heavy periods. I had yearly pap and no problems with my cervix.

I am 5 months post-op and it was the best choice I ever made and would do it again, I do not have mini periods which a very rare. A the chance of developing cancer as my Dr. told me is about 1 to 2 % after a hysts.

I did a lot of reseach before my hyst. The cervix does serve a role in sexual for me, the nerve endings in the cervix help me achive intense big O's, which have not changed.

The cervix releases beta endorphins during intercourse. Bladder problems also occur less frequently if you retain you cervix. Do your reaseach it your body your choice. Only you can make the decision thats best for you.

A great book to read is Hysterectomy: Before and After by Winnifred B. Cutler, Ph.D.

I got it a Books-a-Million

Jocelin
Unread 05-09-2002, 01:36 PM

yup.....I am due for my hysterectomy next Wed., May 15th.....and now my doc is on vacation this week------and I am really looking at the UAE route instead!......cuz I want to keep the ovaries for sure.........everything since the fibroid and cysts were discovered, has been a blur......I don't really recall if I was told I am a poor candidate for UAE or not.....decisions, decisions!!!!!!
but the choice of not having to be laid up for 6 - 8 weeks and the chance to go thru 'normal' hormone changes looks better and better to me.......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register