take my uterus...please...and other things that are not funny about hysterectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

take my uterus...please...and other things that are not funny about hysterectomy take my uterus...please...and other things that are not funny about hysterectomy

Unread 05-09-2002, 03:56 PM
take my uterus...please...and other things that are not funny about hysterectomy

Finding humor...I agree that you have to be ready for it. If you are, here are a couple of areas too look for humor (if you're not, stop reading here. You have to know your limits.)

I would say that underpants are inherently funny and soon you'll be able to have white ones, lacy ones, hand washable ones, silly ones with smiley faces. Buy some now.

Wondering about all the funny places you'll find sanitary supplies that you'll no longer need can be kind of funny, especially if it's months later and you're packing for a trip. You open that spare compartment of your suitcase and it's a pad festival! (Give the extras to a food pantry when you're done if you don't need them. There are plenty of women who can't afford them.)

Picture yourself planning a trip now and putting on a pointy hat with stars and moons on it. You're an astrologer and you're trying to decide if it will be a menstrually auspicious day to travel. You won't have to do that anymore, either.

I hope this helps. The humor comes when you're ready for it, I think, and it can't be rushed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Hi Oh Well

Hey lady each of us sisters have some experiences that others don't. I have most of the things you talked about. I have asthma and it has gotten so much better since my hyst. I also am a big girl if you know what I mean. That was an issue with my DR but I had a biniki cut and healed nicely. I have IBS and have had for years that also isn't as bad, I do still have it though. I have high BP and was on two pills, I am off one pill and will soon take a chance, my DR and I , and go off the other. So I truely believe that my female organs have caused me so many problems besides just heavy bleeding and pain. I am a new woman. I did and still do grieve because I can never conceive, even though I had only one child and could never have another, and had my tubes tied, I still think about it often, but my life has taken on such a good quality that I can deal with that with all the good things that I have found from my surgery. I find humor in a lot of things, one day I was in one of my bags I carry my tools in, I am a homebound teacher, and unzipped a pocket and found 3 dollars then I went farther and found 3 pads and started laughing so hard I thought my sister was going to have to call someone for oxygen. When I came up for air I showed her and she said ok I know you don't have to have them but what is so funny. I explained that for years I stashed pads in every bag and car and drawer and suitcase I had, now I find them everywhere. It can be a hoot. Look for the funny things, and try not to dwell on the the things that you can't change. God Bless. God will send to help.
Unread 05-09-2002, 05:10 PM
take my uterus...please...and other things that are not funny about hysterectomy

Ohwell,

I want the hyst. There is no doubt in my mind. But getting there has been and continues to be an insurance nightmare and I can attest to how important humor is.

I don't think it has to be humor about a hyst. Just humor. Rent a good comedy, even a old one (Monty Python and the Holy Grail or a Doris Day-Rock Hudson movie come to mind), get a book that will make you giggle, look through old photos and remember happier times, call a GF and go shopping or go to the zoo and watch the gorillas occasionally sticking your tongue out at them - one of my favs.

Just remember when it gets you down that everyone here understands to some degree what you are going through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2002, 05:14 PM
PS

I agree with Denise about the panties. I'm going with a group of GF's to the Cape in June. One of our group will have officially made it through menopause if she doesn't have a period in the next 30 days. So we are having a party for her. Last I heard we were burying a tampon in the sand, lighting candles, toasting with bubbly and each giving her a pair of panties, the crazier the better.

(We'lll dig up the tampon so no kids find it)
Unread 05-09-2002, 05:19 PM

Oh well,
Gee, one fun thing is you and I have the same date at the castle. : Too bad we can't be roomies. I'm 51, I've had my children, and I am so ready for this. I understand your feeling of loss of the ability to procreate.

Sweetie, hang in there.

TC
Unread 05-09-2002, 09:39 PM
Post Op Humor

Oh Well,

The hyst-humor is a little harder to come by before surgery when you have so many different thoughts running through your head. I can tell you my funniest post-op story to date.

I work at a high school and was in a meeting this past week with one male (not even an ordinary male but a football coach), and about 7 other women. The coach does yardwork on the side and over the past weekend, he cut his arm with a chainsaw. Sitting in our meeting, he proceeded to describe the injury in graphic detail, which included a severed artery and all that comes with that. Several times I suggested that maybe we could move onto another topic, and he kept going back to it. I was sitting next to him, so when I had had all I could take, I turned to him and said, "If you don't stop right now, I'm going to tell you what my uterus looked like." (I had a spinal, so I did actually see it.) Coach was suddenly at a loss for words, and everyone else at the table laughed hysterically. The next day, one of our assistant principals - who was not at the meeting - stopped me and said he had heard our meeting had been a lot of fun. LOL

You're dealing with some serious issues now, but you will be able to look back and find humor. It'll come.

Margaret
Unread 05-10-2002, 05:03 AM

Margaret!

you go girl!!
Unread 05-10-2002, 09:53 AM

Hi, Oh Well!

I also seek refuge in humor, mine or someone else's!

One of my favorite threads was LisaJean's "Old Ragged Panties", and also her "Ragged Panties Song".
Check them out, I went back, and I still get a chuckle out of
"fibroid-aide".

I think you've been misunderstood to some degree as well.

Just because you react with humor does not mean you are not dealing with your fears. It's just how you are coping. A good laugh releases endorphins,if I'm not mistaken, which help you to relax.
We are all different.

By the way, My DH's sefinition of major surgery- "Any surgery I'm having" (After having sinus surgery and then an emergency appendectomy)
Hang in there, sister.
Unread 05-10-2002, 10:02 AM
i can't thank you all enough

i was going to write that you have no idea what your responses have meant to me...but of course you do!

in a matter of days, through the magic of the internet, you have all given me such support--something otherwise intangible, save the well wishes of family and friends.

what a world of difference you have all made in my life. i can't thank you all enough. jocelyn
Unread 05-15-2002, 08:26 AM

The anesthesiologists are well experienced with asthma and GERD patients , so this should not be a complicating factor in your surgery. I have both, and had no problems at all. Weight can cause complications in surgery, but I think if your doctor was really worried about it, he would not do the operation. Best of luck on this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register