Iam nervous about my pending surgery in June - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Iam nervous about my pending surgery in June Iam nervous about my pending surgery in June

Unread 05-10-2002, 12:35 PM
10 days post-op

I know exactly how you feel. I held it together pretty good unless someone showed me some concern or sympathy then I'd cry. I was strung really tight. I had visions of something going wrong - me being the only one who didn't survive the operation and they just couldn't figure out why. To combat this, I bought non-refundable tickets to Florida for June (whistling in the dark).

Now, I can honestly say it was not that big a deal. The gave me some kind of happy drug to calm my nerves and boy did that work. The last thing I remember I was carrying on some inane conversation with the nurses in the hall outside surgery. Then they were calling my name, saying it was time to wake up. The pain wasn't anything I couldn't handle. I had plenty of morphine at first and moved on to Motrin shortly thereafter. The worst part of the hospital stay was the nurses waking you up every couple hours to take your blood pressure (after tucking you in and telling you to get a good night's sleep). It was quite an experience.

Take care and look forward to getting your life back afterwards.

Julie (LAVH)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Iam nervous about my pending surgery in June

Or how about when the nurses wake you up to give you a sleeping pill.
Unread 05-10-2002, 12:58 PM

Oh boy, do I remember being terrified! We who have been there surely can relate so you are not alone. And what Sindee said really hit home with me - I kept thinking I'd never see my kids again, either. I was scared to death, even though I had had two C-sections (the last one being 10 years earlier). My husband didn't understand but then again, here's a guy (at the age of 46) who has never even had a stitch in his life - yup, nothing worse than the common cold. He's clueless as to the normal fears and anxieties that people experience with major surgery. BUT, having said that, I had a very easy experience. To sum it up for you:

1) My pre-op testing was fast and easy. I was in and out in about an hour and I didn't have to do any bowel-prep at all. Just couldn't eat anything or drink anything after midnight. No problem!

2) Surgery was done at 7:30 in the morning. I had a spinal with something to calm me down and I was in and out during the surgery. The best way I can describe it is it was like I was watching a movie and someone kept putting the tv on and off LOL. I can remember some parts of it and other parts I don't recall.

3) I had a TAH but was up and standing that night. Recovery was fine and I used the pump but didn't really need it much after the first day.

4) The next day I was up and walking and the catheter came out. No problems going to the bathroom at all.

5) I felt good and enjoyed talking to friends on the phone. My kids didn't come up to see me until the second day and that was fine. I was well enough to talk and enjoy seeing them.

6) My surgery was done on a Friday and late Sunday afternoon I came home. I felt good but was just sore and couldn't get around too well. Nothing that couldn't be handled. I didn't even need the prescription pain medication for more than a few days. That was it! My recovery has been smooth and uncomplicated and it will be a year for me this June.

So I hope this helps to put some of your fears at ease. I was a nervous wreck before my surgery and I was also angry that I had to go through a surgery like this once again. But I'm SOOOO glad I did. What a relief to never have to worry about bleeding ever again! As the other ladies have said, the waiting is definitely the worst part! Glad you found this site because it was a Godsend for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2002, 06:25 PM
Sister June Bug

You are not alone! There are a whole bunch of us having our hysts in June. : We have been waiting together. It really helps to have someone to wait with! We have been able to relate to stress, being distracted, feeling both scared and at peace alternately, and making recovery plans. Get in touch with us! It definately makes the wait a little easier!

s to you and let us know how we can help you!

Much love,
Unread 05-10-2002, 08:15 PM
wow, wow, wow...

I thought I was the only one freaking out about my upcoming sugery (6/19).
There isn't enough time to do everything that I think needs doing. DH tells me not to worry all will work out. Im so overwhelmed, so much other than the surgery is happening, that I dont feel I should spend the time worrying about it, and end up feeling more guilty.
DD's highschool graduation is 6/14, DS's graduation from 5th grade is also the 14th...My Mom is coming for the graduation (hopefully staying till after my surgery). I work at a middle school and SOLs are beginning, end of year exams, etc...I worry about that the kids are prepared, etc...
I thought I couldn't possibly feel worse, then what comes in the mail today? My pre-op appt verification and schedule for the op. I totally lost it...the crying has been going on all night. I really feel no one understands. How could this little piece of mail send me over?
So...I logged onto here. Guess what? You all know how I feel, some of you have been there and done that already, and some of you are just like me.
Im sure not much of this made sense, its being written thru alot of tears, some sad, some crazy, but most of alll right now they are tears of relief. Relief in the form that I have found a place that may help keep me from those bad days. Thank you, all of you, you have made me feel so much better.

Deb
Unread 05-10-2002, 10:06 PM

I know how you all are feeling, My surgery is June 7th and I got my call about the pre-op visit yesterday, and, for the rest of the day I was a basket case!
It made me realize how close it is and how much I need to get done before. My DH is being great! After reading the pull downs on the main page (thanks to those who suggested he read it and to whomever that was in the chat room (i am terriable at names) that gave me the pelvic floor website) he is really becoming my rock!
I am scared, but now that I feel he is in this with me it helps alot.
Also the chat room is a HUGE help to me. Going in that room and talking to other people who are going through the same things and those who have been there and made it through makes it all seem not-so-scary. The laughs help tons too!!
If you haven't been in the chat I really suggest it!

I would also like to find a castle buddy. If anyone is going around the same time as I am I would love to exchange e-mails, notes, cards, phone calls or just to freak out together

Geez I just looked at how long this is...guess the nerves are talking I tend to ramble..LOL It's a blonde thing...)

Love to all
Brandee
TVH June 7th
Unread 05-11-2002, 12:36 AM
Welcome!

Hi, DebbC! A big welcome to you, too! Glad you found HysterSisters--best site on the Web! A lot of us had tears when we found this safe, comforting place where other women understood what we were going through. It sounds like your life is very busy right now, but it's great your mom can come to lend a hand. Hope you can take a few minutes just for yourself to be prepared for your hyst and at peace with your decision. Read all you can here and feel free to ask any questions you have. We'll be here to support you through the land of Hyster Sister! s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 05-12-2002, 01:16 PM
Thanks to all!

I feel much better after reading your posts. I was devastated with what I was told. They are going to do a totoal hysterectomy, bladder reattachment, and fix the front vaginal wall that was pushed out from the bladder. I was scared that this was going to be to painful and that I might not make it but now I feel much better. I will keep checking the site. This has been I god send for me. Iam 45, married and have five daughters. My oldest is my strength and lives far away. She is has reconstructive surgery for her c-section that left a hugh gross scar. My husband is a wonderful, supportive guy who is taking off three weeks to help me out. He has rearranged the house so I have no stairs to climb and can relax. I graduate from college on May 18th and did not want to mes up my graduation thats why I am scheduled for June 12th in the afternoon. I did not know what to expect but I'm much better after reading the posts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register