Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux? Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux?

Unread 05-09-2002, 08:55 PM
Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux?

Hi Everyone
I had my hyst in Jan. of this year. I've been feeling pretty good after a slow healing process and trying to find out the right hormone balance thing. About 3 weeks ago I started having heartburn really bad and it felt like I had something caught in my throat. I finally went to the doctor to be checked out. She said the feeling I had was probably acid reflux plus I have really bad allergies. She also tested me (blood) for something called H.Pylori.
Has anyone ever heard of that? It's a bacteria that grows in your stomach and I guess a lot of people have it and don't know it. Well, I tested positive for the bacteria. Now I have to be on mega
doses of antibiotics and Prevacid for 13 days and I guess that will take care of it.

Anyway, my real problem right now is that my acid reflux is getting so bad that I can't take it. I thought I was having a heart attack at work today! I'm trying to watch what I've been eating...I know that can be a big cause. I just don't understand why it's getting so bad. Double doses of Prevacid should be taking care of it. I know that I'm going to have to see my gastroenterologist and I'm afraid he's going to want to do another scope! Yikes! Have any of you ladies had this problem and could it be caused from medication? I'm just getting so afraid and tired of having the pain everyday. Any feedback would be appreciated...I'm getting very depressed and all I want to do is :cry: lately. Thanks

Carol :snort:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2002, 09:41 PM

I've had reflux, though not as bad as you describe. H. Pylori is the bacteria associated with most ulcers.

Here are some other quick things you can do to minimize the reflux:

Eat small, frequent meals.

Avoid acid foods like tomato, and caffeine and alcohol.

Wear clothes with a looser waistline and watch your posture. Lots of us get swelly belly for a few months after hyst and your regular clothes can be tight. This is the one thing that can still give me instant reflux today. If you can't button your pants when you stick your stomach out on purpose, they're too tight. Wear something else. If you hunch over more at work that can put pressure on your stomach and make the reflux worse.

Elevate the head of your bed 4-6 inches with blocks.

Ask your doctor if you can also take an H-2 blocker like Pepcid to help keep the acid under control until things start to work.

I also found that dairy really aggravated my reflux. Nothing feels as good going down as a big, cold glass of milk, but once it's down there, for me it causes bloating and growling and all sorts of bad tummy things. Your mileage may vary, but it might be worth looking at.

Finally, don't be shy about calling your doctor back if symptoms continue to get worse. Just because he might WANT to do another scope doesn't mean you have to say yes. And if you remember anything about your scope, tell him he didn't give you enough Versed! I don't remember mine at all!

Stomach stuff is very depressing on its own and of course if your hormones are still out of whack everything is harder. Sending big s your way and I hope you start to feel better soon. It took Prevacid a good week to start making me feel better.
Unread 05-09-2002, 10:02 PM

Hi Carol ! I have acid reflux - i have the "something stuck in your throat feeling" , its awful :eyes: ! I found that if i take my prevacid every day (30 mg.) that it keeps my symptoms at bay. Maybe the prevacid just needs a little more time to kick in.
In any case, it would be a good idea to consult your dr. since you are having a hard time with it. I hope it gets better for you soon- 's

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2002, 09:31 AM

I also have acid reflux.... it can be terrible. I take Prilosec and it works well for me most of the time. I also found that if I isolate the food groups when I eat, I do better. I eat fruit alone. I eat carbs with no fat and no protien. I eat veggies with anything. I eat protein with veggies. It really helped when I did it faithfully

Praying you get relief soon,
Elaine
Unread 05-10-2002, 11:35 AM

Carol,

Denise gave a great response. Just wanted to add that sometimes they need to change the dose from 1x day to 2. Sometimes a different drug has to be tried.

You don't mention what other medication you take so I can't answer that as a possible cause. Probably not. I think you can have an ulcer caused by H. Pylori. You probably won't have to take the medication forever- maybe a few months. I'd call the doc and report your symptoms...
Unread 05-10-2002, 11:47 AM

I have bad acid reflux all the time also. I have tried all the meds and my GI is suggesting surgery. I keep thinking it has got to be related to the hormones some how. I did not have this problem before the surgery. I am not willing to go through another surgery since I have had so many problems from the first surgery Having to deal with pressure, sore throat, lump in the throat, chest pain all the time is very depressing. I never realized how important eating was. Even water gives me heart burn.
Unread 05-10-2002, 12:09 PM

Dar,

I suspect the Remeron is part of my problem (I notice you're on it, too). I'm not willing to switch at this point since many antidepressants have GI or worse side effects and I'm getting to where I can manage this one. But you might want to look into this as a possibility. I'm on 30 mg. of Remeron myself.
Unread 05-10-2002, 01:28 PM

I was having killer nausea and a really bad taste in my mouth, and this went on for over a month, we thought it was related to my bowel adhesions and some visceral massage I went for......well after the taste in my mouth got really bad I went back to the doc yet again and he thought maybe it was acid reflux ....I didn't understand this as I've had NO heartburn, but apparently it can take the form of nausea as well.

So my GP started me on some new drug called Nexium, it's by the makers of Losec only greatly improved, it's time released so one dose lasts all day and my nausea and bad taste in my mouth are mostly gone, some days it's creeps in but for the most part it's gone.....maybe you could try the Nexium?

my dr never mentioned this bacteria testing but alot of people have been mentioning it, wonder if I should get tested? Anyways, best of luck to you , maybe the Nexium will do the trick

's!!! to you!
Unread 05-10-2002, 01:39 PM

((Carol)),
I started getting really bad acid reflux after my last surgery, which was 2 years ago today. I had the something stuck in my throat feeling and lots of nausea. I was started on Prilosec 2x a day and it has kept most of it at bay Denise gave some wonderful suggestions! I hope you are able to find something that helps. Please let us know how your doing...
Unread 05-10-2002, 06:19 PM

DeniseB
I wondered about the remeron too but my dr says that it isn't the cause. I started on remeron about a 6 wks after my surgery. Have you found anything that says it can cause reflux?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register