Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux? Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux?

Unread 05-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux?

No, all I've found is a reference to hyperphagia (eating too much). I realized *I* was eating too much because my stomach hurt, and I wonder if this applies to other patients, as well. A logical leap, I know, but it makes sense to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2002, 09:41 PM

Hello...
Thanks so much to all of you wonderful ladies for your replies and advice My acid reflux has subsided for the most part, but I know it can hit you at any time. I have three more days of taking all the meds for the H.Pylori .....60mg. Prevacid & around 3000mg. of antibiotics. Hopefully this will take care of that problem for good. Now on to the next!

Denise-- I've been trying to eat smaller meals and more frequently. I'm lactose intolerant so I avoid all dairy products and have for years. I've had bad stomach problems all my life and I try to isolate the foods that give me the most problems. Sometimes I slip up and I pay for it...that's my own fault! As far remembering my endoscopy, I don't remember a thing either! I think the doctor gave me way too much anesthetic because he knew I was so scared and I ended up being sick for a few days afterwards. I think that's why I don't want it done again. I should tell him to lighten up on the dose, eh? Well, if I have to have another one done than I guess it's for the best.

Wachusett-- I'm on Prozac, Protonix (I start taking that again after my treatment for the H.Pylori) recently put on Zyrtec, Estrace, and a whole lot of vitamins! I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the Estrace because I seem to be doing so well on it.

And the rest of the ladies who responded--You are all so great!
I love this site and I thank God I found it It has helped knowing there are women out there who can relate and who truly care about one another.

I hope I keep feeling better (knock on wood) and I hope all of you are feeling OK too! Lots of s

Carol
Unread 05-12-2002, 04:40 PM

I too have acid refluxm, lactose intollerent and IBS. It seem to be worse after the LAVH/BSO and the anxiety just made it worse even with taking Paxil. I took Protonix for awhile and it seemed to help a little but I still had terrible heartburn and rumbling bowls.

I took Bromelin to help with digestion and still had all the problems. One day I was reading through a natural vitamin book and came across enzymes and decided to try more than the Bromelin. I bought a Super Enzyme product from GNC. It digests food in your stomach and intestine. I had stopped the Protonix about 1 weeks before.

I have to say that this has worked. My bowls are better than they have been in years, no more stomach pain or heartburn. I do have gallstones and at sometime may have to have it out. For now, the enzymes are working and I'll stay on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2002, 05:59 PM

After my hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago I began to have problems with acid-reflux. The heartburn was mild but has continually gotten so horrible. I would have heartburn all day everyday, even water would cause me to have heartburn. I was taking over the counter Zantac for it and it did work for awhile. But recently the Zantac wasn't even coming close to relieving the heartburn. I was MISERABLE. I was even having problems with hoarsness and laryngitis due to the acid-reflux affecting my vocal chords. I spoke to my hormone doctor and she put me on Aciphex. I have been on that for 3 weeks now and I am so happy that I haven't had one problem with the heartburn since I started taking it.

Acid-Reflux is horrible to live with. If one medication doesn't work then talk to your doctor, there are lots of options out there to try.

Best wishes to you. I hope that you get to feeling better very soon.
Unread 05-14-2002, 07:09 AM

Carol,

No, the other drugs and Estrace won't cause reflux. Glad to hear it's getting under control. Remember, there are several options for medications and dosing, so if it's not helping, check in with the doc.

For Gidge, I wanted to mention that reflux presents with different symptoms, and you can have it without heartburn.

For all: Keep reflux under control and treat as needed. Untreated, this can lead to cancer of the esophogus.
Unread 05-14-2002, 07:45 AM

Wachusett,

Thanks for bringing that to everyone's attention. YES, I was told by my doctor that acid-reflux CAN lead to cancer of the esophagus. Don't mess around with it, see a doctor if you are experiencing problems with acid-reflux or heartburn.
Unread 05-14-2002, 07:59 AM
recent bout with acid reflux

Hi Sisters,

Last Thursday (the 9th) I woke up with the "something stuck in the throat feeling" Scared me pretty bad. In fact I got in to see my family practioner that very day!

As I've never had acid reflux I had no idea what was going on. Of course I've had heart burn and indigestion before but this stuck feeling was completely new to me.

Well doc, in the office, gave me some Maalox with lidocaine in it and it did numb me up pretty good for a short time. But she also gave me liquid Maalox to go home with along with Zantac to take 2x a day. The "stuck in the throat" feeling went away after 24 hrs and so far so good...no more severe acid reflux, but some minor bouts with it.

When this all first happened I was so scared! I figured what now?!... Reading this post was the best thing for me as I knew I'm not alone in my symptoms and feelings.

I do not have IBS or lactose intolerance, but I have been recently diagnosed with diverticulosis. I need to get into to see the GI doc soon to see how to manage this in hopes that I can avoid it going to full blown diverticulitis.

Like many here I kept wondering if my HRT was the culprit to this acid reflux issue. As my GYN had just increased my dosage from 1.25 to 2.50 daily. Good to know from reading here that HRT is not the problem.

I do hope and believe for each of you that this acid reflux shall and will be gotten under control very soon!

Hugs and blessings

Laurie
Unread 05-14-2002, 08:50 AM

Waschusett, no my dr never mentioned anything about cancer of the esophogus.....how awful, yeah he explained to me that there are different types of reflux and how some people never get heartburn with it and some do.

Happy to say that the Nexium is working great for me, providing I don't have coffee or tea or anything too too acidy.....what a relief!!!
Unread 05-14-2002, 08:56 AM

Reflux and cancer:

Cancer of the esophagus CAN happen, so you SHOULD be treated, but it is still rare. Pretty much everyone in my family has reflux; my father has had it for fifty years or more. And even he has no signs of Barrett's esophagus, the precancerous change that can then (in 5-10% of cases) develop into esophageal dysplasia and then into cancer.

This is not to say that you shouldn't be followed up and treated. Barrett's esophagus can happen to anyone at any age and there seem to be no good predictors other than lots of reflux. But don't let's sit up nights about it. (Not that the four days between my endoscopy, which suggested Barrett's, and my biopsy results, weren't the longest in the world. The biopsy was negative. Whee!)
Unread 05-14-2002, 09:19 AM

Denise,

No, not at all ....... I am not suggesting that anyone stay up at nights and worry about this. BUT I am just suggesting that you shouldn't take it lightly and you should seek out help from a doctor. I have felt so much better since I have been on the Aciphex ....... Heartburn is horrible to live with, and I am so happy that I finally talked to my doctor and got the meds to make me feel so much better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register