Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux? Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux?

Unread 05-14-2002, 09:30 AM
Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux?

Lisa,

I know you didn't suggest we all worry and I'm not suggesting we ignore it. It's just that there's so much to worry about out there (and especially for the ladies on the Road) that I wanted to try to get some kind of context and perspective on the long-term outlook for this particular miserable disorder. And you're right--reflux is probably one of the most treatable conditions out there--a rarity on the Road. It's so nice to have something that you can treat and feel sooooo much better!

s all around for everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2002, 11:27 AM

I'm not suggesting that anyone out lose sleep either. But since reflux is so common, then subsequently you are at risk for Barrett's, and then up to 10% of Barrett's patients get cancer... that's actually a lot of people. One of my co-worker's got Barrett's at age 35, had surgery and is fine. Another person I knew was not as fortunate and died at age 50. So it's not as rare as you might think.
Unread 05-18-2002, 07:36 AM

I have tried every prescription med for reflux. I have the lump in the throat and a sore throat all day every day plus larnigitis (sp?). I still wonder if it is the progesterone gel that I am using. I know oral progesterone definitely causes heartburn. Again I did not have these problems before surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2002, 07:32 PM
acid reflux

I have had terrible acid reflux for about a year. I got it around the time I was diagnosed with fibroid. THe last couple of months nothing has worked and continually have sore throat. Can only drink milk and water. Anyway I had hoped when I had hystre and removed fibroid it would go away but it hasn't. I have tried numerous medications with no help and now take ginger capsules 200 mg. Relieves acid immediately. Try it and let me know.

Lynn
Unread 05-19-2002, 06:54 AM
I have learned so much from this thread...

Thank-you all for sharing your stories and information.

((((Carol)))) I'm sorry to respond on your post with more questions....but I do have one! Does acid reflux burn your throat? I know sometimes when I burp, I get a bit of liquid in the back of my throat, and it burns (not all of the time). I've had that 'something stuck in my throat' feeling probably since my last lap in July of last year. I always assumed it had to do with my peptic ulcer, but now I'm wondering if I should get this checked out. Don't worry....I won't loose any sleep over this, but I am really curious since reading about all of your experiences.
Unread 05-19-2002, 07:51 AM

Judester,

I'm not Carol, but that's a classic reflux symptom. It's the first question they usually ask me when they're trying to decide if I have reflux or not.
Unread 05-19-2002, 08:35 AM

Judester,

YEP, that is one of the questions I was asked while being diagnosed also. I saw an ENT for the "lump in the throat" feeling and also for the hoarsness/laryngitis that I experience so much. He told me that he thought it was all related to the acid reflux. And sure enough, since I have been on the Aciphex that is all subsiding as well.
Unread 05-20-2002, 08:19 PM

Hi Ladies
Well, my reflux seems to be a little more under control lately
Thank God! I'm back on Protonix and I hope that it will keep taking care of the problem. I still need to make an appointment with my gastro doctor to get a check on why my reflux was acting up so much.

((Judester)) Yes, I know that burning in the throat feeling all too well! I think the feeling of having something stuck in your throat is the worst :eyes:

I'm really trying to watch my diet and found that onions are a real no-no. It figures....another one of my favorite foods that I can't have! I'm also a big coffee drinker so I'm trying to cut back on that also. Now that's a hard one to do!!!

((Lynn)) So ginger capsules seem to work for you? I think I remember reading about that in a herbal book that my boss loaned to me. I should give that a try.

Ok Ladies...I hope you all will start to feel better soon and I also hope that all of us can beat or at least control this acid reflux
nightmare!! Take care and big s

Carol
Unread 06-07-2002, 10:10 PM

I am still trying to make the decision about whether to remove my ovaries or not. Did most of you who have newly developed reflux after the hysterectomy have your ovaries removed & are now on HRT? Do you think HRT is causing or making your acid reflux problems worse?

I'm a LIW with Barrett's esophagus due to acid reflux along with multiple other GI problems (erosive esophagitis, stricture, hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, ulcerative duodinitis, multiple gallstones). My GI doctor did tell me that my GI symptoms would most likely be worse for a few months after surgery. I'm currently taking aciphex once a day for my problems. I will be going through biopsies every other year to make sure my Barrett's doesn't turn into Esophagal Cancer.

Becky
Unread 06-08-2002, 08:45 AM

I am one of those who did not have reflux problems before surgery(ovaries removed). I just found out that my problem is the result of my stomach not emptying. the options for this problem are not very good. I have tried reglan and i have had too many side effects. My GI has suggested that i go off the biest/progesterone gel i am using for NHRT because the problem MAY be related to the progesterone. I have just started using the vivelle dot. I do not know if this will help but it is my last option to try. I cannot tell you if you should keep your ovaries or not but i did not have digestive problems before the surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register