Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux? Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux?

Unread 06-22-2002, 03:23 PM
Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux?

I'm another one who NEVER had heartburn before surgery, but not even 2 weeks post, I started getting acid reflux... It seems to be a common thing after this particular surgery. I kept my ovaries and am not on any HRT, so I don't know what's causing mine. I have had an upper GI and a CT scan with dye contrast to see if something "stomachwise" is causing it. Both tests came back normal, but the upper GI did show mild GERD. I hate it and if I knew that I was going to have this, I would NEVER have had my hyster!!!! As far as the esophageal cancer is concerned, yes it CAN happen, but the proton pump inhibitors that are prescribed for us cause STOMACH cancer, better known as gastric cancer. For this reason, I am deathly afraid to take an acid reducer. I feel at a loss. I don't experience heartburn everyday, but maybe 2 times a week and then some weeks I won't get it at all, and while I am very scared, and yes losing sleep over getting cancer of my esophagus, I am more afraid of getting stomach cancer from these medicines as stomach cancer is far more common that esophageal cancer ever will be. I really am ready to rip my hair out over this! Is there ANY hope that the GERD will go away on it's own over time? I have read that barretts usually only happens after a person has had reflux for more than 2 to 5 years. I have only had this problem on and off for 2 months and it was at it's worst during my depression that I experienced about 2 weeks post hyst. Now that my depression has somewhat lifted, it is not AS bad, but I do still occasionally get it.. God, I feel for all of us! This *****! Any words of hope out there?? I don't want to get cancer of ANYTHING and feel stuck! HELP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2002, 06:21 PM

Julie,

Can you tell me a little more about the relationship between proton pump inhibitors and gastric cancer? I've found a couple of abstracts on Medline that show an increase in atrophic gastritis in patients WHO ARE INFECTED WITH THE H. PYLORI BACTERIA, and there are concerns that this may lead to gastric carcinoma. I haven't found anything more definite.

Have you been tested for H. Pylori? That's the bacteria that seems to cause most ulcers.

There were also, from what I can tell, concerns with the increased incidence of stomach cancer among users of H2 blockers, but one abstract I read suggests that (since the risk is all in the early years and not associate with very long-term use) these cases already existed when the patients began treatment.

Since I've been off a p.p.i. for a month and desperately want to go back on it, I'd really like to hear anything you can tell me about this. I sure can't figure this out myself from doing a cursory search and reading a bunch of abstracts.
Unread 06-22-2002, 08:32 PM

Hi Denise.. It's the relationship to the sodium IN the acid reducers and ppi's that are linked to gastric cancer. One of the ones that I specifically read about was protonix and possibly one called nexium. Even the pamphlets say that they have shown(over a 2 year period of testing, albeit in lab rats)to cause a deadly form of gastric adenocarcinoma.. I'm really upset by all this and feel that I'm d*med if I do and d*med if I don't, you know? What I'm hoping and praying for is that the acid reflux will go away on its own with a little time. Maybe when my ovaries do what they should be doing, or I heal a little more from my surgery. Right now I am desperately trying to control it with diet, excercise and I have cut out all forms of caffiene.. Tums will USUALLY help me just fine, but sometimes not.. How long have you had acid reflux? What helps you *other* than the ppi's?

s to you!!!

I hope we find an answer/solution to this mess....

I forgot to add that I haven't been tested for the bacteria, yet.. I go back to my dr in 2 weeks and will definitely ask for the test! Thanks for reminding me and best wishes to all of us who are living with GERD! It bites!

Love n hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2002, 02:29 PM

Once my stomach has decided to be difficult, NOTHING helps me but the ppis. Here's what helps:

Of the H2 blockers, Pepcid is the best. Of the over-the-counter meds, Gaviscon liquid is the best. Avoiding acid foods including tomato sauce helps. Avoiding dairy is ESSENTIAL for me.

I do not seem to get any real benefit from elevating the head of my bed, or maybe I just want to think that because it drives me nuts.

Eating big meals aggravates it.

If it's animal studies, and assuming it was one of those massive overdose trials, I'm not going to worry about the cancer risk for the ppis. I KNOW severe untreated reflux can cause cancer in humans, and I know that the pain with reflux affects my quality of life. Until there are real concerns about cancer in humans, my own choice is to take the pills and watch myself for symptoms. If there's a risk of cancer either way, I'm going to choose the way that involves my comfort.

This is a very personal decision and I'm not at all saying you or anyone else should make the choice I'm making.

Thanks for the information on the cancer risk. It's a big help to me.

Denise
Unread 06-23-2002, 02:34 PM
Count me in too!

Man, I thought I was the only one w/the horrible acid reflux. Mine started about 2-1/2 weeks after my TAH/BSO. I've even gotten my DS up 2 times to take me to the ER and then haven't, knowing it was acid reflux. I take aciphex as well, was on int 2X then went done to 1X and now back up 2X plus with a liquid suspension of carafate 4X a day. Had an upper GI done this past Friday and he said everything was normal, which I suppose is good. I can even feel small spasms in my esophagus at times. My throat has been sore for the past 4-5 days I couldn't stand it. I get pains in my esophagus and sometimes it feels like someone is squeezing it shut. My GI did say he stetched my esophagus while he was looking around. One thing good about it was the verced. My GI tract actually felt normal most rest of the day.

I had forgotten all about ginger. I got really sick after my gallbladder surgery in 98 and ran across a drink called GingerEze at the local health store, took care of the reflux and burn right away. Unfortunately they no longer carry it. I may have to go out and buy the capsules.

I broke down and took a darvacet last night which really helped w/the pain in the chest. But I'm eating xanax like it 's candy.

I'm so sorry all of you are suffering, but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. Hopefully this to shall pass!

As for the HRT, I have read posts where the oral has caused nausea in some people. I'm on 2mg of estrace and I let it melt under my tongue. No taste and it has helped w/the heartburn. It seemed like I got heartburn about 1 week after I started the estrace, but maybe it was just coincidence.
Unread 06-23-2002, 05:32 PM
acid

emarie,

I was the one who suggest ginger capsules but now they are not working for me. You sound exactly like me. I was on aciphex and then up to two times a day and the carafate. My throat burns off and on 24 hours a day and really bad when I sleep or even just when I sit in the the recliner slightly reclined. I am off the aciphex now because it never really got rid of it and now I take slippery elm which seems to help the best right now. I have had an upper gi which showed nothing also and I have an appointment with GI in six weeks when I am sure he will want to scope me. Did you have a scope or upper gi cause I don't know how he could have stretched you with an upper gi - I thought that is where you drink the barium stuff which is what I had done. Well what did your gi finally tell you since your symptoms sound exactly like mine. What was his final theory on you since nothing showed.

Here is my therory - I first started having acid when I was diagnosed with a uterine fibroid and I also began to bloat and look like I was pregnant. I felt when I got rid of the fibroid with my hysteretomy the acid would go away because I feel like my diaphram is pushed up - like everything is in my chest. Well because I have the swelly belly nothing has really gone down yet as far as stomach, etc. after hysterectomy so that is why I feel like I still have the acid 24/7. I am hoping when the swelling goes down the acid will go away. As long as I eat real little and I mean little meals I do better. Are you still swollen or have the swelly belly. Do you feel like everything is pushed up some?

Lynn
Unread 02-01-2003, 03:33 PM
bad acid reflux

Hi, Carol. I've recently developed a bad case of acid reflux, gastritis and esophagitis. I've received an endoscopy which diagnosed the above. I was wondering about several things which had occured at the same time. I had to increase my estrace (use Esclim patch) by adding a .05 mg. patch to my .1mg patch. I now wonder about the effects of this on my GI system The physicans feel it could have been due to my being on long-term antibiotics for a resistant sinus infection. Anyway, I've been on the PPIs, (Nexium, Aciphex, ) with no success as I'm allergic to them, and now I'm to start Pepcid Complete, there's really nothing else I can take and hopefully I won't be allergic to it! I'm going to try reducing the hormones again. I feel we're caught between "the devil and the deep blue sea" after our surgeries. Take care. Gal
Unread 02-01-2003, 03:41 PM

All of you that are having problems with bad acid reflux need to be really monitored closely by your doctors. I had bad acid reflux for years which included vomiting. I thought it was improving when my symptoms improved. I was wrong. When the doctor did the endoscopy, she did a biopsy & they found Barrett's Esophagus. Barrett's is a precancerous change in the cells of the esophagus due to chronic acid reflux. Once they find tha, the cells will never change back to normal. All they can do is keep monitoring, surveillance biopsies, watching to see if the cancerous change will happen. If it does, they will do surgery to remove the cancer. Esophagal cancer is one of the deadliest cancers.

Becky
Unread 02-12-2003, 09:18 PM
acid reflux

I also have acid reflux, lactose intolerance, and chronic diarrhea. The heartburn I experience used to be controlled w/ 20 mg. prilosec every day, but since my TAH/BSO it has gotten worse, and the prilosec isn't working anymore. I am going to a gastroenterologist on Tues. Feb. 18, and maybe he will have some answers. Prilosec used to work wonders, but maybe it's time for Nexium now?
Unread 02-12-2003, 10:41 PM

My reflux has gotten really bad lately also. Monday, I was actually vomiting blood so I called my GI doctor. I found out she is out of town until the end of February. The doctor on call plans on seeing me next week.

As I saw this today, something came to mind that my GI doctor said prior to my hysterectomy. She said be prepared that your reflux will be much worse for at least 3 months after the hysterectomy & gallbladder removal. I thought she meant surgery in general but now I'm wondering.

Becky

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register