Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux? - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux? Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux?

Unread 02-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Anyone out there have REAL BAD Acid-Reflux?

I finally went to my ENT, after almost 8 months of suffering strange throat tightness that I thought was all in my head. I never get heartburn, but the ENT said I have some inflamation to my voice box due to minor GERD. If it's minor, then why am I suffering so much in the throat area, and why don't I ever get heartburn?!?! This puzzles me! Also, the ENT said that many women who have abdominal hysts, suffer from reflux afterwards, even if they NEVER had it before in their life(as is the case with me)because the drs move so much around in there, and the stomach can end up higher than it was prior to surgery, therefore weakening the LES, and causing backflow of stomach acid. I refuse to take any of those acid blockers, as all they do is reduce the acid in your stomach, which is supposed to be there. The problem in not too much acid, just that the acid is in the wrong place! I will not suffer, either, so I have an appt in 2 weeks to discuss having a laparoscopic nissen fundoplication to correct my LES, which is the real culprit in my reflux. Anyone ever consider this, or had it done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2003, 11:02 PM

I have never had that done but I have heard of fundo before. There is a yahoo group for Barrett's-GERD that you might want to check out. There are alot of people there who have had fundos.

I have no choice about taking the PPI's anymore. Since my GERD has turned to Barrett's esophagus, I will be on them the rest of my life with surveillance biopsies at least every other year.

Becky
Unread 02-12-2003, 11:11 PM

((((((Becky))))))

I'm sorry you have to suffer this.

Have you even considered having the fundo, yourself? I've read/heard, that many people, over 90%, find excellent relief of all their GERD symptoms. Would it be something that you'd want to have done, so you won't have to take meds forever? I'm a total health nut, so taking meds for longer than, say a week or so, is just not something I want to do. But, I can't let my throat keep suffering, you know? It's so hard. I'm only 33, with 2 young daughters, and I want to be here for as long as I can for them. I'm scared to death to go through another surgery, but I really want to end this daily, uncomfortable feeling. I'm just very, very baffled that I would have problems with my voice box, yet never experience heartburn.

Anyways, if you wouldn't mind, how would I find the link for the yahoo group? I'd love to read of others who've had this surgery!

Thanks, and I hope you're reflux gives you a break soon!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2003, 11:28 PM

Julie:

This is the link to the yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Barretts-GERD-Reflux/

Actually for the most part, I usually don't feel heart burn or reflux except for times like this when I am having problems. That actually is the real danger. Because my esophagus has experienced the onslaught of reflux for over 20 years without treatment, the lining of it has turned from the normal esophagal lining to more like the stomach or intestinal lining. That is what is called Barrett's esophagus. When that happens, your symptoms actually decrease but it is a precancerous condition which means I have a 40 times greater risk of developing cancer of the esophagus. No matter what surgery I have done now, the esophagal tissue will not change back to normal tissue. The only way for them to detect a cancerous change is to do endoscopic surveillance biopsies. They do them every 1 to 2 years if you have no dysplasia. If you have low grade dysplasia, it is once every 6 months. If it is high grade dysplasia, they remove your esophagus. It is my understanding that they only do the fundo if the meds don't work. But of course, your doctor may feel differently about that surgery. I think I read that once you have that surgery (fundo), you can't burp or vomit anymore which is very uncomfortable.

Becky
Unread 02-12-2003, 11:44 PM

Gosh, that's along time to have reflux! Did you know that you had it for all those years? All my problems started about a month after my hyst. I've had all the tests done, 24hrPH testing(came back negative), upper GI(came back positive for minor GERD)and a manometry(showed some weakness in my LES). I hope that there are no serious side effects in my esophagus after just 8 months.. I'm scared to have the endoscopy, but I'm sure that will be next.

I've already called my insurance company to see if they cover the fundo, and they do. They said that just being diagnosed with GERD is all they need to cover it, so I can't imagine the doctor trying to make me take the ppi's when he know's I just don't want to!

As far as the side effects of the fundo, I have read that they are all short term, and usually subside after a few weeks, sometims a few months, but it would be worth it to me at this point. I'm too afraid of the alternatives....

Thanks for the link! I'm joining now...
Unread 02-12-2003, 11:52 PM

Julie,
You will see me around that group alot. I'm there much more than here anymore.

If you have only had the problem 8 months most likely, you don't have Barrett's. I knew I had it back in the early 80's. The doctor treated me with prescription meds for a while then told me to use Maalox. I drank Maalox like it was milk thinking that was healing it. Actually, all that did was cover the problem. At that time, it showed that I was producing to much acid, a hiatal hernia, esophagitis, GERD, and a polyp in my stomach. Last year, when they did the endoscopy, they found ulcerative esophagitis, schatzki's ring, erosive gastritis, ulcerative duodenitis, GERD, Barrett's without dysplasia, and Hiatal Hernia.

Becky
Unread 02-13-2003, 12:00 AM

I'll see you over there, then!

I really, truly feel for you, Becky! That's a lot that you're having to deal with! I hope you're not in pain!! I can't even begin to imagine.

What can they do for the bleeding? Is that common with GERD? It sounds awful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register