Recliners and Side Sleeping | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recliners and Side Sleeping Recliners and Side Sleeping

Unread 05-10-2002, 01:36 PM
Recliners and Side Sleeping

Just wondering how long it would be before I would be able to get OUT of my recliner without calling in the fire department and a crane. The same question for sleeping on my side. (Yes, I'm a side sleeper. I have trouble sleeping on my back, and with the size of my well-endowed chest (40D), there ain't no way, sister, I can sleep on my stomach!)

Thanks,

Lisa

(I don't know where I'm getting all these weird questions today.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2002, 01:53 PM

Hi, Sashi,

I, too, am a side sleeper. I don't like my recliner, so never used it. Had no problem getting in and out of bed.

Sleeping on side was not a problem, either. But that may be because I bought a body pillow before my surgery. I love it! It's almost as tall as me! I can wrap myself right around it.

Hope this helps,

Debbie

Unread 05-10-2002, 01:58 PM
Hey Debbie,

My mom bought me a body pillow about a year ago for my birthday and I LOVE it!! I've gotten to where I can't even sleep without it. The only problem is that I need two, one for each side when I turn over. (Though I have gotten really good at taking it over with me without even waking up.)

I love my recliner and have my laptop set up next to it, so I can computer in comfort. I'm just wondering if I will be able to manage that though, because there is a lot of work getting out of the thing.

Thanks again.

I hope your recovery is going okay.

s

Lisa

PS When you went for your surgery at LRMC, did they take you to your room first or to the pre-op area first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2002, 02:10 PM

Hi Lisa,

For several weeks, I did not use a recliner unless my husband was around to help me get out of it when I wanted to get up. He pushed it from behind to bring the back up and also pushed the leg part into place for me.

For a while, there was no way I could have gotten out of it myself; it would have just been too, too painful. Then I got to a point where I probably could have managed it myself but it seemed like I'd be overstressing my tummy muscles. I can't remember exactly how many weeks it was before I started to do it myself, but it was at least a few.
Unread 05-10-2002, 07:18 PM

Hey,

I understand exactly about the extra body pillow! Mine tends to get tangled in the sheets when I turn over! But I will never be without at least one again!

When you go up to LRMC, you first go to a checkin area on the 5th floor for paperwork. Then they take you to your room. The nurse there did some prep work; enema, shave, & cath. tube.

I got to LRMC at 5:30, but didn't get out of the checkin area until 6:30. Then I was off to my room. The OR called for me at 7:30 (Op was scheduled for 8), and the nurse had to tell them to hang on until she got finished. Which only took about 5 more minutes. Then off I went to the pre-op room for my IV. I don't remember anything after that until I was in my room.

I noticed in another post you were commenting on the fact your surgery was week after next. That is an eye opener! But wait until you look at the calendar and say it's next week! Wow!

Take Care,

Debbie

Unread 05-10-2002, 07:42 PM

Hi Lisa, I bought a new cushy leather sofa with recliners on the ends right before my surgery. I spent lots of time in my recliner (esp. before my staples were removed) I would get up in the middle of the night from my bed and move to a recliner. I too use a laptop while I recline. I really did not have trouble getting in and out of mine but first time have someone around to see how you do. I spent more time in my recliner than in bed, it felt better. Best wishes for your recovery.
Unread 05-10-2002, 07:52 PM
LRMC

Hi Lisa,
My TAH/BSO was at LRMC on 1/29 - they were wonderful!!! I arrived at 5:30 am for 7:30 am surgery. Was directed to the 5th floor for paperwork, then taken to my room, also on the 5th floor. Because I had a post op roommate, my DH and Dad were asked to wait in the family waiting room, there on the floor. In my room a nurse took my temp, pulse, bp and a tech came in to draw blood for typing. (no enema, etc) The nurse then had me take a shower with a special soap scrub for my abdominal area. Afterwards, she put the "socks" on me and went through a checklist of questions (what type of procedure are you having...etc) Then it was onto the gurney with many well wishes from the staff, who indicated that they would be taking care of me that night. The guys joined me on the trip to the 2nd floor where I said my "see you soon"s, and then I was in a pre-op holding area. Someone snuggled me in with a warm blanket, my doctor came by to say hi, and before too long they started my IV - I remember the ride into the OR and moving onto the table... and that's all. The recovery room is a blur, but the care that I received throughout my stay was outstanding!!!

Best wishes to you.... and as a sister 40D, I love my body pillow, plus extras, and at 3 months post op I still sleep on my side.

Janet
Unread 05-10-2002, 08:11 PM
Hi Debbie and Janet

Thanks for the scoop on LRMC. It's wonderful to have sisters here in my hometown who have gone before me. Now I'll know what to expect.

I guess after tomorrow, I can say I'm having surgery next week. Sheesh!!!! I'm still not ready. I went shopping tonight (took back all the pink stuff that I bought because I looked like a little fat pink pig in everything.) So now I'm on the quest for a gown and robe again. I bought a white flowered pair of backless slippers so it won't matter what color nightwear I end up with. I also bought a new suitcase (the kind with wheels.) I've been having trouble getting my stuff packed (I've packed and unpacked at least six times in the past few days) and decided tonight that the problem was my bag I was packing in. It's very nice, and also has wheels, but it is very deep and narrow, rather like a big grocery bag. I kept putting stuff in, but couldn't see what I'd pack, so I figured a regular flat suitcase would be be better for my purpose. I just packed my stuff (again) and hopefull, this time it will stay packed!

Anyway, it's good to know that I should still be able to sleep on my side and may be able to use my recliner. Thanks ladies!

s to each of you!

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register