how do you know??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how do you know??? how do you know???

Unread 05-11-2002, 08:31 AM
how do you know???

I noticed your quote "She said she'd send me if my hemoglobin count was low. I'm on iron pills so how can you tell?" It's possible to have a normal blood count because of the iron pills. I wonder if you are on a type of insurance where a dr. has to refer you to another with authorizations and such. If your hemoglobin comes back ok and she still won't refer you due to your symptoms and findings I would look into getting another primary care dr to refer you if your insurance won't pay without a referral. Keep in mine that not all females dr's are the best. Sometimes people have better luck with a male.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2002, 09:12 AM
how do you know???

Gonna start with a BIG

Now - find a different doctor - quick! What's happening to you should NOT be & there's a reason for it.

To help 'document' your flow (I hope this link works - you may have to cut & paste it) try this chart. It REALLY helped my doctor & THE GYN (note my 'found' thread) with what was going on with my menstrual flow.

http://www.womens-health.com/health_...t_bad_prn.html

I found this link from an uterine ablations site which had a LOT of great links ( just like this site).

Good luck! You have the power to take control of your medical care & don't let any doctor discount your symptoms!

Let us know how you're doing~~~~~

More s
Unread 05-11-2002, 12:28 PM
how do you know???

Kate,
All these wonderful woman have said it all. There isnt much I can add beside my own story.
I was just like you and Debbie........... horrid periods. When I passed out twice in one day from the sheer loss of blood. I knew it was time. That was the bottom line for me.
Prior to that, I was doing the "wait it out till menopause" thing. Not totally aware how slowly it HAD gotten out of control and was in complete charge of my life.

I am 13 days post op now.......... and as of yet I dont feel the freedom that I know I will experience soon.
For me it was facing my deepest fear......... that of surgery.

There is a book called "fear the fear and do it anyways"...... the whole point is......... the fear does NOT go away FIRST, then you take action........ fear goes away BY taking action!

I kept waiting for the fear to go away frist, before making surgery date. The only thing that did happen for me was......... I was more afraid of having another pass out period......... the surgery seemed to be the less scary.

Of course I doubted my choice constantly........ but now can say, even in icky recovery mode........I am glad I did it.
Take care. Hope my rambleings help in someway.
DonnaFay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2002, 04:06 PM
how do you know???

Another point worth mentioning is that the ultrasounds can't show everything. For example, they don't show adenomyosis, which was the cause of my heavy bleeding. I was also taking iron supplements. At the end of January my count was normal but it was low pre-op on the day of my surgery in April, probably because my last period had started 4 days prior and I bled a lot. So, even if your level is normal, it doesn't mean all is well. I had a doctor tell me that the heavy bleeding was normal for my age. I'm thankful that I didn't believe him and finally found a doctor who agreed that I had run out of options other than to have a hysterectomy. In my case, my uterus was too enlarged for ablation (my doctor said 10 week pregnancy-size and under, and I was 12) and that wouldn't have helped with the adenomyosis anyway. BCP's weren't doing the trick, either. Nor did treatment with Prometrium.

Keep reading the posts and pull-down menus and arm yourself with information and knowledge. Don't be afraid to seek out the help of another doctor. Document your blood loss so it can't be dismissed so easily - I made charts colored in brilliant red marker! I never had to ask this of my doctor since he took me seriously, but I was prepared to ask how he would like to have to miss several days of his profession every 25 days to stay home to bleed. Sometimes it seems doctors need to be verbally whacked with the reality of your situation as it would apply to them to get them to understand. I'm so thankful my doctor understood it wasn't only a health issue, but a quality of life issue for me. It is so wonderful not to have to plan my life around the calendar anymore. I feel like a new person already.

Keep us posted as you go through your decision-making process. Good luck!
Unread 05-11-2002, 05:28 PM
how do you know???

HI Kate and Welcome.

Your case sounds almost like mine. I also thought I was starting menopause. I was 47 at that time. I used to have periods that lasted 5-7 days every 35-40 days apart. Then, they started coming sooner and longer about a year ago. After not paying any attention to my health, I decided it was time to see a gyn again. I had just moved, so I needed to find a new DR. Thank goodness I found a wonderful one.

He first sent me to have an utrasound that showed fibroids and a polyp. Next was a D&C. That showed a Irregular endometrial polypoid-like tissue. I.E. a large mass...

Next came the TAH/BSO in February. Marie is right, the ultrasound does not show everything. I also had adenomyosis, extensive adhesions and endometriosis. The only pain that I had was slight cramps and horrible back aches (some months).

You need to discuss with your dr your options. You need to tell him how you are feeling and what is happening to you. Tell him you feel like you are going to pass out. If you are not satisfied with your DR, then seek a second or a third. This is your body and your quality of life.

Good luck with you decision and
Unread 05-11-2002, 05:35 PM
how do you know???

All insurance plans are different, but mine allows you to self refer to a gyn as long as they are in "the plan". If your PCP doesn't want to refer you ask friends and co workers who they see, or call the local hospital and ask for a list of DR's affiliated with them.
Unread 05-11-2002, 11:51 PM
how do you know???

Kate, I waffled for months before making my decision to have my hyst. The decision came up from inside, not from my brain.

I knew I was ready when every time someone tried to talk me out of it, I got more and more depressed; and every time I got closer to saying yes, I got more and more excited. When I observed this, I realized my inner wisdom already knew what I needed to do.

Don't know if that makes much sense (it's late and I'm tired ), but I really had to listen hard inside to figure out what to do. It took its own sweet time becoming clear, but once it did, it was crystal clear. When I finally made the decision to go through with it, I was ecstatic. You couldn't get me down out of the clouds for days.

Good luck.

Melissa
Unread 05-12-2002, 12:05 PM
I made a list

Someone on this site suggested that I make a list...write down all the pros and all the cons of having a hyst. I did and the pro list just kept getting longer and longer. The con list ended up having things crossed off. That's how I knew.

This is your body, your choice. Do what you have to do and ultimately feel comfortable with. Good luck! My thoughts and prayers go out to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register