Abdominal Binder - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Binder Abdominal Binder

Unread 05-14-2002, 12:00 PM
Binder?

I inquired at a local drug store and they never heard of a belly binder. I looked on the internet and all I found was one in a medium and it has latex. I normally wear a medium but I'm thinking I may want a large since I will be so swollen.

By the way, I haven't spoken to my doctor about this yet. I am going to wait to order one after my pre-op appointment if the doctor says it's ok.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2002, 12:49 PM
talked to doc

I talked to my doctors nurse and was told that women that are overweight at all are NOT prime candidates for the tummy binder. I am overweight and they said that I may or may not be able to use one. If I do end up being able to use one then they will get it for me in the hospital. I am being cut up to my belly button at least, because of the enormus size of my fibriods. The nurse told me that the sutures have to have air to breathe, for healing. So we will see if I come home with one of them or not, they sure do sound supportive. I'll let you all know when I find out. Which will be soon.. 18 hours till I go to the castle!!
Unread 05-14-2002, 01:47 PM
Abdominal Binder

Although I never heard of sutures needing air, my doctor did have me wait 2 days until after the surgery so as not to disrupt the staples in any way. After the first 2 days he took off the large dressing that was put on immediately after the surgery. Once he removed the dressing, he put on a gauze pad on top of the staples to keep them covered before putting on the binder. Now, every time I shower, I just replace the gauze pads with new ones prior to putting on the binder. Lots of luck to you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Abdominal Binder

I just found the website for the abdominal binder that I use. If you go to www.SoftForminfo.com - that will take you to the right page. Just click on "abdominal binder" and you can read about and see the binder. I think you can buy it directly from them. (If that site doesn't work - just go to www.SoftForm.com). Perhaps you can print that page and take it right to your local medical supply store. Just thought you'd like to know.
Unread 05-14-2002, 02:02 PM
Abdominal Binder

Hey - this Hyster Sister website is even better than I knew. If you jst click on the underlined words, it will take you right to the website you need. So, just click on the following: www.SoftForminfo.com and it will take you right to the abdominal binder website.
Unread 05-14-2002, 02:07 PM
Sparkels -

Perhaps the site and type of cut dictates whether or not you can use a binder right away. My cut was a horizontal bikini cut - not verical up to my belly button. However, ask if you can use it later on. Truthfully - even if you start using it after a week (when the sutures/staples usually come out) it will help enormously with the way you feel and the way you heal. I wear mine around the clock and it hurts like heck the few times I've tried not wearing it. Every time you move, the belly shakes and it hurts. With the binder, there's really very little shaking, so the pain is so much less. Good luck on your surgery.
Unread 05-14-2002, 05:09 PM
Abdominal Binder

Thanks Nygarmento. I know I'm having a horizontal incision. I think I need a a tummy binder NOW, (heck I've needed one for years for this belly) that or get one heck of a tummy tuck (I am a size 3x.. ) I've lost 52# on WW so far, but I will have to take a break from WW meetings and exercise for a few weeks because of the upcoming surgery.

Now I'm waiting on my dr to get back from her vacation next week so I can ask her what she thinks..
Unread 05-14-2002, 07:41 PM
Tummy Binder

Just wanted to add to the conversation....I have a horizontal incision (hip to hip) and a vertical incision (from horizontal inc to about 2 inches above my belly button) and have used the tummy binder since day one 4-18-02! I am still wearing it 23+ hours a day. My inc. are healing nicely and I feel I have so much more support. The hospital supplied me with the binder plus sent me home with an extra so I assume my insurance co. will pay for it. So if your dr will order it post op ins should pick up the cost. Worth checking into.......this binder has helped me alot! I really think it has helped reduce pain too. Good Luck Sisters!
Unread 05-14-2002, 08:27 PM
Tummy Binder

I was sent home with a Tummy Binder and it was a life saver!! My abdomen was so sore and swollen but with the binder I was able to walk around more and I'm sure it helped speed up my recovery. Even when I started getting out of the house I wore it under my clothes for several weeks. Good Luck!!
Unread 05-15-2002, 02:49 AM
Abdominal Binder

Recently someone had a post on here about tummy binders and had a link to go to the Walgreens site. And they have tummy binders, which you can also order right online.

I personally had a pair of those support panties, I have the kind that look like shorts which I wear around the house with a sweat shirt or t=shirt. They do help and are alot cheaper than the tummy binder.

Arhide

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register