bowel prep question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bowel prep question bowel prep question

Unread 05-11-2002, 10:50 AM
bowel prep question

My doctor didn't order me a bowel prep (surgery is Monday), didn't think anything of it till I was reading on here.....I asked the nurse at my pre-admission check in at the hospital, and she said some docs don't order it. I am thinking I want to do it anyway, cuz my bowels tend to be sluggish, and I am irregular, and I don'r want to go into this surgery with my bowels already screwy. Normally I take citrucel daily plus magnesium as a stool softener, but that is prentative, won't clear me out. I've been trying to be diligent all week, but am still on the side of being constipated. What does a typical bowel prep consist of? I am pretty sure, but wanted to double check first. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2002, 11:14 AM
bowel prep question

Hi, Sphinx,

A typical bowel prep consists of whatever your doctor ordered. If your doctor didn't order a bowel prep for you, please don't act without consulting with your doc.

I've read about women who were overzealous in planning their own bowel prep, and ended up in major trouble on the operating table, because they were dehydrated, or their electrolytes were unbalanced.

Please check with your doctor before taking laxatives, using enemas, or drinking electrolyte solutions. This is your health and well-being that we're discussing. so once again, please don't take things into your own hands.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 05-11-2002, 11:16 AM
bowel prep question

Hi

First of all, if your DR didn't order bowel prep DO NOT DO IT!! You need to follow your DR's orders, he knows his preferences for surgery, and if you do a bowel prep he hasn't requested you could cause postponement of your surgery, or complications during surgery. REPEAT AFTER ME: I WILL NOT DO A BOWEL PREP IF MY DR DIDN'T ORDER ONE!!

Some DR's have their patients do an enema, some have to drink stuff.

Once again, your DR has his own reasons why he didn't order it. I can't emphasize this enough, FOLLOW HIS ORDERS. Call him, even though it's the weekend, and ask him FIRST.

Good luck with your surgery Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2002, 02:46 PM
bowel prep question

Hey sphinx, why don't you call your doc and explain your concerns? He probably won't care if you do, he just doesn't think it's necessary. But it's always best to run this kind of thing by him first. This is a serious surgery and he needs to know what state your body's in when he operates. He can recommend something lite for you I'm sure.

Good Luck
Unread 05-11-2002, 03:17 PM
bowel prep question

My doctor did not order one for me. When I asked the Pre-Op nurse about it, she said alot of doctors are going away from that, because then it just takes "longer" for the bowels to begin functioning again after surgery.

My hospital provided stool softners daily to help the bowels get going again after surgery. The nurses had me drink alot of fluids, and made sure I got 4 long walks per day.

That was enough to get me "going" and I, too, suffer from sluggish bowels.
Unread 05-11-2002, 03:47 PM
bowel prep question

Well, thanks to all who have replied...I'll admit to you, that I myself am a nurse, so I am always telling people to ask their doctor, etc.....before they do "this or that".......I geuss in this case, I am just paranoid about going into surgery partially constipated. I know all the tricks to getting your bowel function going after surgery, heck, I used to do post-op nursing, so I've told tons of people things to try, but I've also seen people really struggle. I can't help but think it'll be harder to get things going if I already have a bowel full of stuff already, or part full. Besides, when ya sign a consent where one of the risks is the possibility of injury to a surrounding organ such as the *bowel*, all I can think is I sure hate to think of the infection I'd get if my bowel was nicked when it had stool inside-yuck! In any case....I don't want to go whole hog....I've had a full bowel prep before, when I had a colonoscopy....I wouldn't do that unless explicity told to......but I just don't see how it'd hurt to clear out some.
I geuss I am just musing. I asked for advice, and I am taking it.....I had the opportunity 3 times today when shopping, to buy some kind of laxative, and didn't. I geuss I'll take an extra citrucel tonight, and extra magnesium tomorrow, and see where that goes. I'm also gonna eat light tomorrow. I don't have to be on clears or anything, but I think I just will refrain from steak, haha! My surgery isn't until 1pm Monday, so that gives me some extra time to "go" (teehee).......I just get so nervous, I won't be able to have my citrucel Mon am, and I never can skip a day.......I'm on some meds that are binding, plus post-op pain meds are very constipating......
OK, I'll be quiet now, I am just whining and freaking and in general being a total dork, and I'll listen and zip my lips from now on, I am too nuts to talk, I don't make any sense right now. You all would just be thinking "who let that basket case in here?" haha.
Unread 05-11-2002, 09:09 PM
bowel prep question

Hi Sphinx, don't worry...if you're anything like me any kind of bowel prep would be redundant...my DR ordered a Fleet, which I did as instructed, but by that time (the evening before surgery) I was so nervous I had already emptied myself out "naturally"!
You will be fine.
s,
- Linda
Unread 05-12-2002, 07:16 AM
bowel prep question

It's ok to be freaking out...but you've gotten some excellent advice here! NO BOWEL PREP without specific instructions, ok???

The idea of eating "lighter" foods is a good one; just ask first. I agree...you don't want a steak sitting around in there for a few days.

But you know the right thing to do...just ask first!! You're gonna be fine. I know many nurses who have a very hard time being patients....it's hard to apply your knowledge to yourself!! If you are on a liquid diet following surgery, even a day of that will help your bowels. DRINK like crazy, get up and walk as soon as you can, and watch the gassy food that the hospitals seem to love to put on our trays, like apples, broccoli, spinach, etc.

You already know this stuff....just keep breathing. We're here for you....this is Basket Case Central, so don't worry about THAT!!!

s to you!

Karen
Unread 05-12-2002, 09:27 AM
bowel prep question

I do agree to ask first.............
But have to say. I was not requried to do a prep. and wonder if that contributed to the painful gas and constipation I have had for almost two weeks.

In hindsight I wish I would have started the high fiber foods prior to surgery.

Last two days things have been soooooooo much better for me and the reason I see..... is I added an apple a day to diet.

Along with all the other things I have been doing, stool softener, gasx, prune juice, oatmeal each morning and fruit during day AND trying to eat light foods.

I wouldnt never have wanted to do full on prep before surgery. BUT would have added some more fiber.

It was explained to me this way..........
lots of fiber is like a full tube of toothpaste..... only takes alittle pressure to make things come out.
Not enought fiber is like a half empty tube of paste, takes more effort to get it out. (gross visual I know......... changes the way you look at toothpaste huh...lol_

xo Donna
Unread 05-12-2002, 06:33 PM
bowel prep question

Well, I go in tomorrow, and I didn't do anything "against medical advice", haha.......oops, I did have some ribs, though.....so much for eating light! Well, it was a late lunch, early dinner thing. I decided I just can't worry about every little thing. Thanks for everyone who replied......
see ya post-op!

Heather

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register