No hysterectomy yet...radiation first :+\ | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No hysterectomy yet...radiation first :+\ No hysterectomy yet...radiation first :+\

Unread 05-11-2002, 11:00 AM
No hysterectomy yet...radiation first :+\

Hi everyone!

Well, how 24 hours can change things!!!

I went to Iowa City for my pre-op day. My doctor decided to do a pelvic exam and she said that the tumor on my cervix is larger than she had originally thought. The first time she examined me, I was still swollen from the cone biopsy.

We chatted and she said that she is concerned that she would not be able to get it all and that I would have to have a follow-up round of radiation afterward. She is afraid that having the panneculectomy done at the same time, I would run a high risk of infection from the follow-up radiation.

So, I am going back to the hospital on Monday for a CT scan and then I will start a six week course of radiation, 5 days a week. With that, she is also going to do a round of chemo once a week for the six week period.

SO MUCH to take in, my head is swimming!!!

If there are any sisters out there who have had radiation/chemo, some information would be greatly appreciated! I did all the research on the hysterectomy but nothing on the radition/chemo side yet!!

Thanks for being here! I really appreciate it and I hope that I haven't been too long winded!!

Lynette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2002, 02:38 PM

Hi Lynette, I had pelvic radiation but mine was done 6 mths after my hysterectomy ( read my story ) and there are quite a few other ladies who have had it as well. At the top of the cancer concerns page there is a thread called ' our diagnosis ' and there is a list of women who you can contact , if you wish.

I know Breezyb was one who had chemo as well as radiation and she is always willing to support you. Do a search under her name and email her.

I am not sure what you want to know about radiation , so I wont tell you all about it yet . Please just ask away and I am willing to share ;

The best advice that I can give you now is to get your body into great shape.... eat well. There are side effects but everyone is different. One good thing to start doing is to drink cranberry juice and if possible take cranberry tablets. This makes your bladder very healthy and can fight off some side effects of the radiation.

It isn't a nice thing to go through but remember we are your ' radiation coaches ' and are here cheering you on and giving support.

I am here anytime you need , please dont forget that . I have tucked you into my much love always x x x
Unread 05-12-2002, 04:35 PM

HI LYNETTE,

I HAVE NOT HAD THAT KIND OF TREATMENT NOR THAT CANCER
BUT, I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER YOU A BIG
AND PRAYERS FROM MY HEART.

I AM SURE YOUR DR. KNOWS WHAT SHE'S TALKING ABOUT AND
WILL GET YOU THROUGH THIS.

HANG IN THERE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2002, 06:46 PM

Hi Lynette,

I recently finished a comination of radiation/chemo for cervical cancer (I had a hysterectomy first and because the cancer was a little larger than they had thought, they recommended the radiation and chemo as an additional precaution). '

My chemo used the drug cisplatin. Mondays were chemo and radiation days, and I was at the hospital for around 6 hours. They gave the chemo through iv and first I had to get an entire bag of fluids, then anti-nausea meds and steroids, then the chemo drip, then another bag of fluids. Then down for radiation and the radiation check. Tuesdays through Fridays were just radiation, which lasted about 5 minutes.

I got along very well with the radiation part -- I had no skin problems at all. The biggest problem I had was diarrhea, which was pretty well controlled with just over the counter meds. The chemo was not pleasant -- I think I have a very sensitive tummy, and the nurses seemed surprised at the level of nausea I had based on the dose I was getting. SO, here's my one bit of advice. BEFORE your first treatment, be sure you have a variety of anti-nausea meds at home. One may not work for you, and if you don't have something to fall back on, you have to waste time getting up with your doc for a different med, going to the pharmacy, etc. Some anti nausea meds are available in suppository form, so if you can't keep anything down, that can be helpful. Following my first week of pretty bad nausea (even taking Zofran, which is kind of the gold standard from what I understand), I came home with 4 meds in different forms, and a written plan for how I would use them. Things were markedly better for weeks 2-4. Week 5 was tough again, but I was mentally able to handle it better because I knew I was near the end of it all.

I hope I haven't told you more than you wanted to know! Please e-mail me if I can answer any questions or if you just want someone to listen. I heard a cancer survivor on a tv show say that chemo is not pleasant, but it is do-able, and I think that is a good summation of it.

Joanie
Unread 05-13-2002, 06:27 AM
Hi Lynette

I haven't been through chemo or radiation, but I just had a radical hysterectomy for cervical cancer. Sorry you have to go through this, but there are so many supportive people here that have been through this and can help you.

I'll be sending positive healing thoughts and prayers to you as you go through this step towards your recovery.

Big 's to you.
Unread 05-13-2002, 12:11 PM

I had radiation post-surgery. My surgery was 8/04/01...I had both internal (bracy therapy) and external radiation. It's a bit scarey at first (this is because of the shields they may make for you so that the radiation is targeted to a specific area) these are time consuming. I tolerated radiation extremely well and hope it is the same for you. In many cases there is a nurse oncologist
available to speak with you about your specific course of treatment who will let you know what to expect. You might want to find out if you're having internal or external radiation or both.
Very best of luck....this sounds a lot more omnious than it really is.
Unread 05-13-2002, 04:07 PM
just hugs

I'm so sorry stuff keeps happening. All I can offer are good thoughts, prayers, hugs, and all my good wishes!
Unread 05-15-2002, 08:02 PM
I've been through it too...

Hi,
I just wanted to give you a little hope.... I actually had the same exact treatments that you are about to face. I am almost at my one year anniversary from finishing the treatments and i feel better than ever! the treatments were not really as bad as i thought they would be....i only have a minute as my 2 year old is climbing all over me and the keyboard but i would love to offer my experience and advice. Please feel free to email me for even the littlest concern or questions! and remember attitude is EVERYTHING!!!!

Love, hugs and blessings,
Brenda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register