The more I read, the more scared I get! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The more I read, the more scared I get! The more I read, the more scared I get!

Unread 05-11-2002, 07:52 PM
The more I read, the more scared I get!

Wow! This is a wonderful website! I keep reading about things that my doctor never mentioned to me! The more I read, the more scared I get! ? I had never heard of it! I have about 2 weeks to go. I do have one question though. The other night, I experienced a lot of pain in my lower abdomen. I couldn't sit, stand, lay down, etc. This has been the second time it has happened. My DH finally got me to lay down on the sofa, but was stuck like that all night. It honestly felt like I was having severe contractions. Is it possible that my uterus is trying to get rid of my fibroid? Or am I just imagining it! I didn't imagine the pain though!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2002, 08:33 PM

Breebabs,

I'm so sorry you're having so much pain. Please call your doctor and let him know. I do not know the reasons you are having surgery but different things can cause acute pain. Don't wait until you have it again, call him asap. Fibroids can get in trouble and do strange things.
Keep reading until you feel better about your surgery. The more you know the better you will feel. Knowledge is power...I had to take alot of notes and I clicked on PRINT alot. I read those pages at night in bed and then couldn't sleep. My hubby is almost as well versed with the terminlogy as I am...it's all we talk about!!!
You're not imagining anything...call the
Unread 05-11-2002, 08:37 PM

Hi and welcome!

Being scared is a part of this experience...it's normal to feel all sorts of emotions. But keep reading...the more you know, the less scary this will be. Knowledge is power...and fear of the unknown is what really paralyzes us. If you are having pain that's unusual for you or that is more severe than usual, please call your doctor just to be on the safe side.

If you haven't already, check out the Pull Down menus on our home page...scroll down to the bottom. All sorts of great info and lists to help you prepare yourself, your family and home for surgery and recovery.

I had my TAH/BSO over a year ago, and I have never felt better. It's a whole new phase of life...healthier, happier, no bleeding, no pain, no swelling, no planning around periods...yep, it's scary, but it can be a very positive experience.

Hang here with us, post all your questions, and we'll get you through.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2002, 09:00 PM
Hi Breebabs,

We have a lot in common. I too live in Florida (Lakeland), I'm also an educator, I'm almost 40 and I have fibroids. My surgery date is May 23.

A couple of weeks ago, I was poking around at my tummy, trying to determine the size of the fibroid twins, and I suddenly had a horrible pain in my abdomen. It went on for over 45 minutes, so bad that I couldn't get off the bed. Ever since that day, I've had cramping sensations in my tummy and back, which got really bad this past Monday at work. I called the nurse at my GYN's office, but she didn't seem too concerned about it. Just told me to take Tylenol (which didn't help at all.)

I have heard that sometimes fibroids can twist around and that might be causing the pain you have had. It could also be a cyst rupturing.

Be sure to call your doctor as soon as you can, just to be sure you are okay.

s and welcome to you,

Lisa

PS What part of Florida are you in?
Unread 05-12-2002, 05:38 AM

There seem to be a lot of us Florida girls scheduled for the same week. I live in Ft. Myers. I am scheduled for a week from tomorrow.

I agree with what everyone else has said. Keep reading. I was very comfortable when I shceduled this surgery. Then I started reading here and became more nervous. Even called my Dr. back and told him we needed to talk more. (had another appointment to just talk) I am so glad I did. Things that I would have discovered post op, I now know ahead of time and am prepared for it. I still have lots of questions for my pre-op appointment on Tues. But feel much more prepared for this thanks to this site. I definatly belive it is better to be fore warned rather than finding things out afterwards.

Good luck with your surgery.

Caren
Unread 05-12-2002, 07:13 AM
Surgery

Wow, your having your surgery on Memorial Day? Mine is the day after.

I was very scared in the beginning reading all these messages.
I just kept reading and now I feel empowered because of all the information I've gotten.

Ever since I found out I have to have this surgery, it seems as if my stomach had blown up and I'm feeling all sorts of things there. No major pain, but strange things. I just can't wait to get this over and see how I feel then.

Call your doctor if your concerned for sure.

Take care and let us know how everything went when your feeling up to it after your surgery. We will be recuperating together.

Unread 05-12-2002, 10:48 AM

Breebabs--

Your pain sounds similar to what I experienced. I had a large ovarian cyst and several rather small fibroids, but the pain sounds similar. I called the Dr who told me to take Advil. I had an ultrasound shortly thereafter, but it was similar to the first u/s, and Dr opined the cyst probably ruptured. I read about ruptured cysts and it seemed to fit. Twisted fibroids do hurt (had one of those too) and that pain was different for me. It seemed like more and more was happening more frequently.

When surgery was done, Dr said the ovary was full of endometriosis--that was what was causing the pain. The cyst was so large and dense it wasn't showing up as endo on the u/s.

Being scared is normal. It's a scary thing. You will find when it's all over that the worst part of this whole thing (besides the pain you're feeling now) is in your imagination. That's what I found. I now feel like a total idiot for being as scared as I was.

If you can tell yourself every time you feel a scary thought coming on that this surgery will help you so much, and turn your fear into gratitude that it will soon be over, it will help you a lot. Anxiety meds will help if you feel you need it.

But bottom line is this: YOU ARE GOING TO BE FINE!! THE WORST IS IN YOUR IMAGINATION!! I'm not yelling, but emphasizing.

Take it from one who's been there . . .

You will be in my thoughts and prayers, and in less than a month from now you'll feel like a brand new woman!

Good luck to you on the 27th! On the 28th you'll be surprised at how good you actually feel (but don't expect to want to go dancing!).

Unread 05-12-2002, 06:30 PM

Hi Bea,

I have been there and I know that pain. I didn't have fibroids, but I couldn't stand, sit or do anything for more than 5 mins. With a dh and kiddos, that's hard to maintain for any length of time.

Would I have a hyster again, oh yeah I would. Yesterday was the first time in 3 YEARS I wore white shorts. I didn't have to worry about bleeding, taking things along, etc. No worries, just a nice day in WHITE!

s for strength!!

Sara
Unread 05-12-2002, 06:46 PM
The more I read......

Thanks for the words of encouragement! You guys are wonderful and appreciate everything you've said! I think "fear of the unknown" was just smacking me in the face. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site and am learning a lot everyday to help me prepare. I now have a long list of questions to ask my The bottom line is, when I asked my doctor is he recommended getting the total hyst, he said yes. Then I hit him with a question that he said no one has ever asked him before. "If I was your wife, or your sister, what would you tell me to do"? He answered me honestly and told me I should have it done. That was reassuring. It's all the other information he didn't tell me about that I'm learning about on this site. Thanks again!
Unread 05-13-2002, 01:15 AM

hi
i will be 5 weeks post op tomorrow and i too was a wreck. i found this site only 2 weeks prior and i also learned SO MUCH!! at the same time i learned all the potential risks and yes it brought up some fears BUT knowledge is power and gave me more control. you can choose to be terrified with the knowledge that SOME potential risks will affect you or you can realize they are possible and not PROBABLE if that makes sense. just try to keep in perspective that just because some complications occur they arent a given they will happen to you, yet if they do you wont be as frightened since you have some understanding of what is happening.
when i went to pre-op i was armed with so many questions from this site and found out the likelihood of risk was small especially if i followed post op instructions and i would still have a sex life but it was major surgery and the recovery is very important,
i was terrified to go under a general but decided in the end it was the best option for me. I was out of surgery and recovery and in my room in an hour and half when she originally expected the surgery to last an hour or 2. i had a TVH but at the time of surgery she wasnt sure as my fibroids were attached to the wall and years ago i had them out.. i knew i was doing the right thing after so much bleeding, pain and anemia and having lost my mom to uterine cancer. i was home the same night from the hospital but this is highly unusual. all went even better than my greatest expectations and i have had a smooth recovery. slow and crampy snd spotting, but aside from bowel/gas pains which felt like labor the 2nd week post op, my recovery has been good.
i know this is long and i know how scared i was too but wanted to jump in and tell u , i was a wreck but it really does work out and in no time you too will be sighing sighs of relief!
hugs
jandrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register