Diagnosis of Endometrial CA on 5/9/02 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Diagnosis of Endometrial CA on 5/9/02 Diagnosis of Endometrial CA on 5/9/02

Unread 05-12-2002, 11:56 AM
Diagnosis of Endometrial CA on 5/9/02

On May 9 I received a diagnosis of Endometrial CA. It was quite a shock to both me and my gyn because of my age (34) and because my ultrasound had been "normal". I meet with the gyn/onc tomorrow to discuss treatment. I know that I am facing a hysterectomy but I don't know if it will be a AH or LapHyst and there is some debate about the need for BSO. To complicate matters even further I started a new job in another state on 4/29 and we haven't moved yet (that is scheduled for the week of June 3). We have to close on our house in NJ and then on our new house in PA. I am seeing the gyn/onc in PA because that is where I'll have the surgery and follow up. I'm still quite stunned and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be handling this. Right now I'm just trying to get ready for our move as though nothing has changed. I'm looking for some advice from others who've faced this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2002, 12:19 PM

HI SWEETIE,
SORRY ABOUT YOUR RESULTS AND THE ENDO CANCER.
I HAD A COMPLETE HYST FOR ENDOMETRIAL CANCER IN NOV.
OF 2001.
THIS KIND OF CANCER IS ALL CONTAINED AND MOST OF THE TIME IF IS CAUGHT EARLY A HYST IS ALL YOU WOULD NEED.
IT IS A VERY SLOW GROWING CANCER AND AS I HAVE MENTIONED,
IT IS CONTAINED.
THE PROBLEM IS YOUR NEW JOB AND MOVING ETC. BOY, WHAT A TIME FOR ALL THIS TO HAPPEN.
I AM SURE YOUR DR'S WILL HAVE A LOT OF ANSWESR FOR ALL YOUR QUESTIONS. ASK THEM EVERYTHING, THEY WILL BE ABLE
TO EASE YOUR MIND.
FIND OUT WHAT STAGE YOU ARE IN AND THAN YOU MAY BE ABLE TO MOVE AND GET SETTLED FIRST. ASK, ASK, ASK.
BEST OF LUCK , YOU'LL BE FINE.
THER ARE A FEW OTHERS HERE THAT HAVE HAD ENDO CANCER , THEY WILL BE ALONG SOON I'M SURE.
Unread 05-12-2002, 12:49 PM

s Legume

I had a different type of cancer but just wanted to send some positive thoughts your way. When it rains, it pours. Be jotting down every question that enters your mind for the gyn onc. Make sure someone is with you for the appt. to help retain the information given. Some gals even bring a tape recorder with them.
Life really does go on, so continue planning your move. Until you know the type of hyster planned you won't know how much time you'll need off from work.
Hope you stop back here often and let us know how everything goes. In the meantime, know we are here for you.

PS I too live in NJ but am treated in PA!!! Wise choice!

s karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2002, 01:04 PM

Hi honey!

I'm so sorry to hear about your dx, but sounds like you are in good hands if your doc referred you to a gyn onc to do the surgery and consult. Puppy is right- this cancer tends to be slow growing so chances are you can get yourself settled in and then have your surgery. With so much going on - your head must be spinning. Try to bring someone to the doctor's office with you. It really does help.

Dorrie
Unread 05-12-2002, 01:24 PM
Hi Legume

I am sorry you have received this diagnosis and are facing this surgery at such a young age.
You are going to be okay though. As others have said this is a very slow growing cancer and it can be contained for quite awhile without risk of it spreading to the uterus or other organs. Fortunately for most of us it is also caught very early. Also, most of us do not need any further treatment like radiation or chemo. We are really the lucky one's.
I would think, like the others have also said that you could do your move while the surgery etc., is being co-ordinated. Naturally make sure to work closely with your doctor to make sure that you are moving forward on a schedule that he thinks is safe.
My first surgeon, although he said he wanted to do the surgery right away did not get it scheduled until 5 weeks out. Then I changed surgeons and it moved out a few more weeks. But it was not a problem.
If you are at al like I was it probably hasn't quite sunk in yet. It is shocking news to hear. It is also alot to absorb and to try to understand and deal with. I am so glad you have found Hystersisters and especially Cancer Concerns. You have found a loving sisterhood full of 's that are absolutely here for you.
Feel free to email me anytime.
Unread 05-12-2002, 06:55 PM

Legume, I know what a shock it is to hear, endometrial cancer. Yes it is slow growing and my Dr. told me they would take everything and do a biopsy on the lymph nodes, but it turned out he didn't have to do the nodes, because the cancer was so small. He scheduled mine in 2 weeks, but I'm the kind of person that 2 weeks was too long. But I got through it. I didn't have to have any treatments. Try to stay calm, your Drs. will take good care of you. Let us know.
Unread 05-13-2002, 06:21 AM
Hi Legume

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It is shocking to get news like this. It took a few days for it to sink in when I got my news, then I decided to get very positive and get ready to face surgery and get well.

Sounds like so much is happening at once for you....new job, new house, new state and new doctors. Have your met the surgeon who will be doing your surgery yet? I do not know much about your type of cancer, but it sounds like most endometrial cancers are slow growing and waiting a few weeks before you have the surgery shouldn't be a problem. I guess your surgeon can best advise you. I had a cone biopsy, which confirmed my cancer diagnosis, and I had to wait six weeks before they could do the radical hysterectomy since the cervix had to heal (due to possibility of excessive bleeding if it was not healed).

Sending you big 's your way. Sending those positive healing thoughts your way.
Unread 05-13-2002, 07:24 PM

Hi Legume,
Welcome to hystersisters. Up until now I have been the youngest on this board with this type of cancer.
I was 37 at the time of my diagnosis. My doctor was also shocked because of my age. In his 12 years of pratice I was his first case of someone so young. So I certainly I know how you feel. I am wondering how you were diagnosed.
It is a good idea to have someone wth you at the doctor's appointment. Timing is never good for cancer............
It has been told to me that if you have to have cancer this is a more desirable one to get because in most cases it is caught early and the hysterectomy is the cure.
It is important to find out what grade your cancer is, they can tell that from your pathology report. Mine was grade 2, grade 1 would be better.
Anway if you have any questions please feel free to email me. When you leave the doctor's office your mind will spin, please let us know how it went. Wishing you the best and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
I am just about 1 year cancer-free and I feel fine, my onc tells me that my prognosis is excellent!!!!!
Unread 05-14-2002, 05:35 AM

Hi Legume,

So sorry to hear of your news. I understand your concern, I know you feel sad, confused and overwhelmed.

I was diagnosed with endo-cancer on March 19. I was stunned and felt as if my world was coming to an end. My doctor kept telling me that he felt like it was stage 1 and that when caught early, uterine cancer is easily cured. He was right! On 4-2-02, I had a TAH/BSO, cancer was stage 1 with no further treatment required. I am going back to work this week part-time.

Just take things one day at a time. Let others know what you are going through and you will find that people will be very supportive and compassionate. Let friends and family help when they offer. Make a list of things regarding your move that can be delegated, don't be afraid to let go and allow others to help. Your health is your number on priority at this time.

Best wishes to you Legume. I feel like things will turn out well for you.
Unread 05-14-2002, 03:44 PM

Dear Legume...
I am very, very sorry to hear your news. I was diagnosed with
endometrial cancer in August and had a hysterectomy, oorechtomy and radiation (internal and external) I turned out to have stage III but flew through it. I had no problems with recovery. I am 50 years old and had not yet gone through menopause so plunging into meno was a bit more than I expected, but doable. I am now nine months post surgery and am doing fine.

My oncologist is extremely conservative and adamently opposed to HRT for endometrial cancer patients. I ordered it over the web
and then changed physicians. You might want to get your
oncologists views on this.

You will do very, very well. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register