Do you heal quicker if... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you heal quicker if... Do you heal quicker if...

Unread 05-13-2002, 06:36 AM
Do you heal quicker if...

you have a TVH? My doctor says he will attempt one, but to expect a TAH, so I am not shocked when I wake up. Does it make a diiference in the healing time? Less painful? I am also having a BSO. Can that be done vaginally?
Thanks for answering my never ending questions,
Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2002, 07:46 AM

Hi Tammy

With TAH you have the incision that has to heal, and it will be sore. With both types of surgery you have lots and lots of stitches inside that have to heal. You need to check with your DR and follow his post op instructions, but with either method the usual recommended time for recovery is 6 weeks.

Yes they can take the ovaries vaginally, but I have no idea how. Maybe someone who had a TVH can explain?
Unread 05-13-2002, 08:03 AM

Hi,
I had a TVH, I was told by my Doc that it could be either way( TVH or TAH) and would not know until i woke up. She said she prefered to do the TVH if possible because the recovery was easier, although still a minimum of six weeks. I kept my ovaries so sorry I can't help you with that.
All I can say is that I am just under three weeks post op and have had a great recovery so far, the only problems I have had was with BM at the begining, which can cause some pain, and after the second week I began to loose a little pinkish fluid. My bleeded had stopped by the third day and the pinkish fluid when it started fazed me a bit but I have been told it is nothing to worry about and it can appear as the internal stitches start to disolve.
I do not need pain killers now (Well not unless I go mad and overdo things )
The only other thing I would say is that if you do have a TVH and not a TAH, then be careful that you do not over tax yourself, because you cannot see outward stitches it is sometimes easy to forget that you have had a major op. I know because I do it myself.
Which ever way you go, I wish you good luck, and good health

June
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2002, 10:01 AM

Hi ladies! Well, I had a TVH and BSO and A&P repairs and resuspension... believe it or not it was all done vaginally. Unfortunately I do not have a clue how they could possibly have done all that and am very grateful that I was blissfully unaware of what was going on at the time! I do know that I was quite sore for a few days afterwards from being up in stirrups (or something similar that holds you "open") for a couple of hours there. And thank heavens my DR is a petite woman with very small hands, as I'm sure that helps! She told me that the healing time for a TVH/BSO is about the same as for a TAH/BSO because most of the healing that takes the longest is on the inside anyway and that's the same for all of us. I have heard that there is less pain with a TVH but I can't speak to that because I also had A&P repairs and I suspect that's where much of my pain came from. Still does -- I leave for the castle in about an hour to have a vaginal adhesion removed, where the front and back walls attached themselves to each other as they healed. Hopefully this will be the end of it! Good luck all...
s,
- Linda
Unread 05-13-2002, 10:45 AM

Tammy,
I had a TVH. They fill your abdomen with a gas to expand it. Just like with a D & C. That gives them a lot of room to work. Nothing to worry about. Mine went well and I am doing great. I am at 4 1/2 weeks recovery and I feel much better than I did before the surgery. You will be fine. You will have a rough couple of weeks but, just remember that you are doing the right thing and you will be glad you had it.

Remember we are here. This is a great place for support. I don't post much but, I sure read it a lot.

I agree with Linda. I was sore for a few days afterwards. My legs especially. It felt like when you exercise too much. It is from the position they put you in and it doesn't last long. Remember to take short walks, that will help. Good luck. Let us know how you are doing.

Trisha
Unread 05-13-2002, 10:52 AM

Hi, Tammy! With a vag hyst, you may be able to go home from the hospital in 24-36 hrs if there are no complications. And some drs say your recovery period could be a couple weeks shorter than with an abdominal hyst. The stitches and healing tissues inside will still take 6-8 weeks to heal, but you won't have the external belly incision with a vag hyst, and it wouldn't be as invasive. Here is a link to one doc's post op expectations. http://www.wdxcyber.com/nbleed13.htm

I'm not sure how the drs can see up to where the ovaries are during a vag hyst, but they manage! If they do a laparoscopic assisted hyst, the drs will make tiny incisions in your belly to put in a thin lighted scope and then they can see pretty well inside your belly. Hope this helps some. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 05-13-2002, 01:57 PM

From all I've read over the past few months, I get the impression that the main difference between TAH and TVH is ease of recovery, not length of recovery. TVH patients may feel better sooner because they don't have an abdominal incision, but they still have to take it easy just as long.

I had an LAVH and it worked out really well. Just three small incisions, less than an inch long each.

Melissa
Unread 05-13-2002, 04:32 PM

I had tah and my recovery was horrible. I was sick, sick for the entire 6 weeks. Yes, the pain was bad but I had a hernia that needed to be repaired. Could not have tvh. A friend of mine had tvh and was up and going the next week feeling great. I was not. Everyone's different.
Unread 05-13-2002, 05:06 PM

Hi!

I had a TAH with a horizontal incision. I didn't have a choice as I had what they thought were fibriods. I spent 2 nights in the castle and had a really easy recovery as I didn't do anything but heal! It took about 10 days before I felt back to normal, just really tired still. At almost 11 weeks post-op, I can finally say I feel like myself again! Yes, I get tired and yes I'm not totally healed, but I'm on my way!

Everyone is so different.

Have you read the pull-down menus on the main page yet? www.hystersisters.com There is a lot of information on this site and those menus helped me answer questions and gather questions for me to ask my doctor.

Sara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register