Adhesion pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adhesion pain? Adhesion pain?

Unread 05-13-2002, 01:53 PM
Adhesion pain?

Hello

Can any of you that have/had adhesions describe your pain to me? I had a laparoscopy over a year ago and I had just a small amount of scar tissue that my doctor cut. I have had increasing pain over the last several months that is on both sides where my ovaries are. The pain gets worse during my periods, actually excruciating, but I feel it almost everyday. I feel it when I am active, when I cough, sneeze, stand up too quickly, stretch out in bed. I have learned to be more careful when I am doing these normal, everyday things that everyone does without pain. The pain is a really sharp, stabbing pain that can double me over. It can come on instantly. I really feel like it is scar tissue. Can a cyst cause this kind of pain? I am supposed to be keeping my ovaries, but I have so much pain where they are. I also have alot of pain in my uterus, but I am concerned that my doctor is going to cut me open and find that my ovaries need to be removed. I am terrified of that. I'm only 30. My doctor told me that he can remove my ovaries later on if they need to be removed, but for now he'll leave them in. I am willing to take the chance of having to have another surgery just so I can buy myself a few more years with my ovaries. Have any of you thought you were going to keep your ovaries, only to wake up from surgery and find out that they were removed? My doctor can't do that without my permission, right. That might seem like a dumb question, but I am really concerned about this. I have talked to him about it and told him how scared I am to have my ovaries removed. We both agreed that since I reacted horribly to Lupron that I need to keep my ovaries. I am just really concerned about how much pain I have in those areas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2002, 03:19 PM
pain!

Yes! I know exactly what you are talking about! The other day, I went to stand up to help a student and I had to double over because it hurt so bad. Sometimes, it feels like I have a dowel boring a hole into my pelvis about where the hollow for my hip joint is. Depending on how much it hurts, the size of the dowel varies. My rt. ovary is glued to my uterus and there is a TON of endo all over the inside. I also have adhesions gluing my bowels to everything else. The bowel pain has been with me since I was about 11 yrs old. So I am assuming that the adhesions have been there that long. The other pain, the stretching-burning-stabbing pain, didn't show up until Oct. so I don't know what made that flare up all of a sudden.

I know how you feel about losing your ovaries. My dr told me that the endo focuses on ovarian tissue so both ovaries needed to come out. Also, ovaries have a 50/50 chance of not functioning after surgery. I figured that if this was the case, my left ovary might not work and then I would have to have another surgery to have it removed because of more endo down the line. I am kinda resigned about this. I would like to see if I can convince the dr about keeping the left one. I need to see...

Like you, I find I'm thinking, "I am only 33" and having a hard time with taking HRT for 20 more years, or so. I am scared, to tell the truth. I don't know if I am scared about the whole adjustment period, the pill-taking, figuring out what to take, or going through the lupron after surgery. At times I find myself in a panic and at other times I find myself quite calm and rational. Go figure!?

Anyway, thought you would like to know there are others out there with the same fears as you. Oddly enough, it's comforting. The only thing I can offer you is keep talking to your dr. He sounds like he listens to you and talks about your concerns. Also, write down what s/he says. I do and it offers me a great deal of calmness to look at and read. I don't feel quite so panicked.

Good luck! Keep us posted about your ovaries. Others (like me) would like to know!
Unread 05-13-2002, 03:28 PM
pasdechat

Hey lady,
I have the same pain. It is usually worse when I ovulate. I used to just have pain 2-3 while ovulating and then of course while I had my period. These days the pain is almost constant. The hip and joint pain is the worst! Like someone is drilling into the joint. It is only ever on the right side. Sneezing or getting up wrong out of bed makes my side cramp like a charlie horse. 9 days to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2002, 05:38 PM
Adhesion pain?

Hi,

I had adhesions as well, it got to the point where I couldn't stand or sit for any length of time. I couldn't do any yoga, stretch, or anything.

No one was sure what would be found when they opened me up. They did u/s on me, and thought it was fibroids. As yo ucan see by my signature, it wasn't fibroids. I was prepared to lose everything. I told my doctors to look at my ovaries and decide if they would stay in or not, and I signed paperwork to that effect.

They stayed in as they were "pristine". I was lucky!

Sara
Unread 05-13-2002, 05:52 PM
Adhesion pain?

I had a massive amount of adhesions that caused me much pain. The pain got so bad...like someone was stabbing me in the left ovary. I would wake up in the middle of the nnight with the most unbearable pain and nothing seemed to help. This started around ovulation time and lasted for about 2 weeks out of the month. My uterus was adhered to my abdominal wall, my right ovary was adhered to my bowel, and my left ovary where all the pain was..was so covered with adhesions that the cysts on it didn't show up on an ultrasound. When I had my hysterectomy on April 26th my doctor said he did extensive work to clean me out and my bladder had to be re-positioned into place. Just before my surgery I started experiencing some discomfort on my right side as well.
Unread 05-14-2002, 12:39 PM
Adhesion pain?

Wow! The last couple of you sound just like me!!!! I have had the same feelings you all have had with the adhesions..They found out when they did the lap a month ago on me that my right ovary and tube is covered (more like incased) with scar tissue and adhesions sticking all that to my bowel and diaphram and adhesions on my left side the same way. My ovaries are not even where they are supposed to be. My doc said they are higher up due to all the bad stuff going on. Everything else is ok tho but they did say they cant figure out how I was able to have my son 12 years ago.
My pain is mostly on my right side, it throbs at times like now when I am trying to ovulate. Sometimes it even gets so bad I can not stand up straight and I get to feeling pretty yucky too. I have had the same pain as you all had. I have been putting up with it for about 18 years, mostly because I couldnt find a doc to listen about the pain and my own stubbornness.
I am going in to the castle on May 20th for a TAH/BSO. I have no family history since I am adopted and I am done having children so they are going to take everything. I have had abnormal paps in the past too. My doc wants to help prevent me from further problems down the road and having to have more surgery later.

The way I am feeling right now....Monday cant come soon enough....OWWWW!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register