Neuralgia llioinguinal - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Neuralgia llioinguinal Neuralgia llioinguinal

Unread 06-18-2002, 09:55 AM
Neuralgia llioinguinal

oh i just love this site! i too am surprized at all of us on this tread. please keep us posted on the alternative pain relief methods...i may need them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2002, 09:58 AM
Neuralgia llioinguinal

here here!! Me too

Anything long lasting that's stronger then Tylenol 3 that's available in Canada?? I asked about Neurotonin but my GP said it had a ton of side effects??
Unread 06-18-2002, 10:09 AM
Neuralgia llioinguinal

Have just started with Elavil as pain medication in the last three days in place of the neurotonin. Use Tylenol 3 as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2002, 10:14 AM
Neuralgia llioinguinal

thanks Meri-de, I tried Elavil and got a huge rash from it....I use tylenol 3 during the day to control my pain, usually one every four hours does it but lately no way.....
Unread 06-18-2002, 10:39 AM
Bruising

Traditionally Accupuncture usually does not hurt. However, when you receive bruising or even scabs ( I have) on the accupuncture site it is an inddication that the area being treated is the big area
of difficulty where the body system is very very out of whack.
I went for accupuncture before my surgery.
I knew when the accupuncture site formed scabs that wouldn't heal that it was time for me to look into surgery.
That was one of my personal inidcators and I am very glad I knew when to shift modalities and seek a surgeon.
Chiropractors really do have a different view of nerve pain.
However, in some cases where the protective endings of the nerve are worn away it is indeed very very painful.
Punch in Diabetic Neuropathy in a search engine and see what you find out.
I am on 10 mg of Elavil at night for my nerve pain and it has been a saving grace.
For some people it works and others it does not.
With chronic pain so much is trial and error.
Hang in there and use all modalities in harmony with each other.
Kamie

P/.S. Tylenol 3, I believe, is a Narcotic and Elavil is not.
Please correct me if I am confuesed.
Elavil takes a little while to kick in .
For some it's a couple of weeks.
There are a number of other pain meds that are non narcotic
a lot of new things on the market too.
Personal Research is going to be your best friend.
Unread 06-18-2002, 01:09 PM
Quick info...

First, I apologize for the abruptness of this post, I'm rushing here, so please forgive me:

1) Elavil is an older anti depressant that has value in pain relief
2) Tylenol #3 is a controlled substance (narcotic)
3) You need appropriate pain relief for nerve damage. I have nerve damage and if you can't get those nerves calmed down they can rage on and cause more problems (take it from someone who really knows..I've been battling this for 2 years).

I've tried the lidocaine patches, they work for some, they didn't for me.

They have bonafide pain clinics where they will treat you with all types of pain control. What ever you do...don't give up YOUR power. Meaning, you have the final say so as to what is done to your body or goes into your body and that you stay informed. You need a partner, not a dictator to help you recover. I'll write more later, but here's some links that I hope will help:
Pain Relief Links***************************************
http://www.theledger.com/top_stories/09pain.htm
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/Health/story_28735.asp
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...aintips29.html
http://www.gainesvillesun.com/articl...2-01-26d.shtml
http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/democ...al/2687812.htm
http://www.health-news.co.uk/showstory.asp?id=75579
http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/amn...2/prsc0128.htm
http://www.painlaw.org/

I have more, and I'll paste them in later along with my story.

Don't give up, and keep trying. There IS relief out there...

Unread 06-18-2002, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the Info

Adrite,

Thank you for the information and the links. I am sorry to hear that you had no success with the lidocaine patches either. In your experience is it reasonable to have a doctor or pain clinic ask you to sign a pain contract saying that you won't abuse the meds? Is being allowed one pain med per day reasonable if that does not address the pain? I am trying a lot of different things without relief which makes be very weary. I am sure many of you understand. Thanks again for the input. I hope that we all can find some relief.
Unread 06-18-2002, 01:37 PM
Neuralgia llioinguinal

thanks for the excellent links Anj
Unread 06-18-2002, 01:43 PM
Pain Relief

I totally agree that in the process of pain relief that you absolutely have to get those pain triggers calmed down or you are in for a rough and uncomfortable ride.
The problem with narcotics or other classifications that doctors
"worry" about is that while they are effective for pain relief they
carry the problem of hitting medical resistence somewhere down the road.
Everythings going along fine and then one day some one decides that the medication is addictive and they want to make a change.
I see the problem more as a long term compromise when livng with chronic pain.
For a lot of people with chronic pain, it is often the combination of more than one thing that will eventually seem to get things under manage.
It is of benefit to shift between a couple of things so the medical world will feel more comfortable supplying the medications needed to control pain.
I also like using alternative modalities as a helping hand but I have little patience with bone head comments about the reality or non reality of pain that comes from so many alternative practitioners.
I suppose I would not feel this way if I had not heard so many bone head comments already.
If I hear one more "You are the master of your reality.....you are what you think..... comments I'm just going to
release my IBS toxic chemicals!!!!!!!!!!!!! and let um think about what may be causing that formation of ill thinking.
Kamie

P.S. It's my guess that the reason this thread has gotten so much of a response is because chronic pain is a real issue for women with hysterectomy's. I think it is a mysterious and too often neglected fact of life.
Unread 06-19-2002, 02:08 AM
That was goood....

What a great response. You are so right! My Pain DR. did not make me sign anything saying that I won't abuse my narcotics. Actually, I saw him today and he assrued me that my body was just responding physiologically and developing a tolerance, so he increased dosage. He kindly told me it was not my fault, to not feel guilty, He also told me since I was 29, the nerves were "firing" back up fast, and the pain at the end of my vagina is because of that. They are regenerating, and if you are older, they don't regenerate in that area so fast. My grion pain is from blunt trauma that caused nerve damage to the illoinguinal nerve. I am going to have some blocks and exploritory laproscopy to take a good look. Until then, I take 1600 MG of Nuerontin, 6-8 Norco (hydrocodone 10 mg/hydro 325acetemeniphin and klonipin at night. I could care less what all those non sufferes think. I get all the comments as well. Let a dr. cut out their cervix then they can talk to me! Well, I just got up for water- I had my radiation today- so good luck ladies, keep on fighting! Remember, you haxe the RIGHT to pain control, and don't feel guilty about it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register