Germs!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-14-2002, 12:20 PM
Germs!!

Okay, maybe I'm being totally paranoid (and these days, that wouldn't surprise me at all), but the lady that sits diagonally across from me in this waist-high prairedog farm we call an office is coming down with a cold or the flu or something! She's been coughing and going on like she's trying to hack up a hairball for the past three hours and says she feels sick!!! And she's only 6 feet from me!!!! Plus, when she coughs, she doesn't cover her mouth!!

I only have eight days and a wake-up before my surgery. I CAN NOT get sick now!!!!

What the heck am I going to do? I've already sprayed the whole area with disinfectant, including my hands. I wash my hands every hour on the hour and use that hand sanitizer in between. (I think I'm coming down with an Obsessive-Compulsive disorder!) I don't touch my eyes or my nose (and of course, they itch like crazy, just when I shouldn't touch them.)

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

If I get sick and they cancel my surgery, I will never survive another wait. They can just wrap me in one of those nice white jackets that lets you give yourself a big hug and lock me in the rubber room.

Oh, gosh, my throat is feeling scratchy!! This is NOT happening. (Oh, wait. It's probably from the disinfectant I sprayed and have been breathing for the past 30 minutes. )

Maybe I should take off from work and lock myself in my room until next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2002, 12:54 PM
Germs!!

Ok Shashi... this one has made me laugh! A HAIRBALL !!!!!!!! Yuk!!!! I have 6 cats, believe me,I know hairball! Ok, this is the plan.... a scarf around your face, or a sock in her mouth, you choose. What-ever.. she'll get the message. Karlene
Unread 05-14-2002, 01:02 PM
Germs!!

Ah, a sock in her mouth! Now why didn't I think of that....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2002, 01:02 PM
Germs!!

Hi I agree with Karlene.

Calmly go get a scarf and put it around your face and when she asks you what you are doing you say very politely " I have to go for surgery and getting sick is not an option". I am sure that she will feel guilty and think twice before coughing without covering her mouth.

Hope everything turns out OK.

Kerri
Unread 05-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Shashi

That is so inconsiderate when people go to work when their sick and spread their cheer around. :burning: Especially when your so close to surgery. When someone around me is sick, I usually take something called (I know I won't spell it right) Echineasha. It's supposed to boost your immune system. However, I read somewhere on here that you shouldn't take Echineasha before surgery for some reason.

Why not give the doctor's office a call and see if they can suggest anything.

Take care, it's almost over for you.

Unread 05-14-2002, 01:24 PM
Hey buddy!

I have also become the "germ police". LOL May I mention that covering ones mouth when coughing releases the germs into the hands. Not a big deal if the person then washes their hands. If they DON'T wash their hands then they proceed to spread their lovely cough germs on everything they touch. <ewwww> Tell that lady to wash her hands no matter what! Also spray anything she may share with you like the phone or computer! Germ haven there. I have a child still in school who was diagnosed with tonsilitis <sp?> I said OH goody! <geesh> DR says she shouldn't be contagious. Shall we share a padded room in the event that we get cancelled? LOL
Unread 05-14-2002, 01:43 PM
Hey Hister Buddy!!

Good point about the coughing into the hands thing. I just won't touch anything in the office for the next 8 days unless I spritz it with Lysol first.

That's terrible that your daughter has come down with tonsillitis!! I wouldn't let my daughter have a sip of my coke last night cause I'm not eating or drinking after anyone else right now. Talk about your Germ Warfare!

I'll double-book the padded room, just in case.

**Think positive thoughts and repeat after me***

WE WILL NOT GET SICK, WE WILL NOT GET SICK, WE WILL NOT GET SICK!!!!!!!!

Hang in there, one week - one day - and one wake-up!

:Hug:s

Lisa
Unread 05-14-2002, 02:32 PM
Germs!!

Hi, Shashi,

I'm a retired RN, and we learned in nursing school (and many times after that) that washing your own hands frequently is the best way to avoid getting ill. When people cough, sneeze, etc, the little viruses land on objects. When you touch the object, then touch your face, you can catch the cough, sneeze etc, yourself.

So wash your hands, wash your hands...

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 05-14-2002, 08:58 PM
Germs!!

Dear Lisa,

I am SICK! :cry: With two boys in school, they happily bring home every germ from miles around! Too bad they don't happily bring home their homework!

I spent most of last week nursing my youngest son back to health and then, sure enough, got a sore throat myself. Two days later, I've got a good case of bronchitis and a fever. Tomorrow I'm taking the day off work and will call my general DR in A.M. for appt.

I've got a month to go before TAH but I'm still concerned as I've had bronchitis many times before and it seems to hang on FOREVER! I'm sure I won't be able to have surgery if I still have the bronchitis!

The worst part is having an accident every time I cough!Glad I'm scheduled for a bladder tack with the TAH!

You stay healthy! Keep washing those hands!

June Bloom Lauren
Unread 05-15-2002, 03:20 AM
Germs!!

Ladies, try vitamin C as it is a great natural antibiotic/antiviral agent.

Akathleen
May flower, too

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register