Pap today after Jan. cone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pap today after Jan. cone Pap today after Jan. cone

Unread 05-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Pap today after Jan. cone

Hi girls,
I haven't been posting lately, but have come by to visit now and then. If you've kept up with my story at all, you know that I was scheduled for my hysterectomy on April 25, but it never happened.

I was sent to a cardiologist to get cleared for the surgery, but he had other things in mind.... I need to get my mitral valve repaired first-yeah, just a minor detail, huh?

Anyway, I had a cold-cone biopsy in Jan. and there was some discrepancy between drs. as to whether or not I needed the hysterectomy. I was diagnosed with CIN III back in Nov. last year, and after the cone, the margins were NOT clear. But at least one doctor thought there was a pretty good chance that whatever abnormal cells were left would have been taken care of with the cauterization after the cone, so the decision was left up to me, I could have the surgery, or be watched carefully with a pap every 3 months. After careful consideration, I decided to go ahead and get rid of my uterus, after all at 43, I wasn't planning on using it anymore anyway!

Well, since I need to have the heart surgery first, I wanted to at least know if I was looking at another major surgery as soon as I recover from the first, and it looks like that may be the case. I was hoping to get a "normal" pap reading, and put the hyster off for a while in light of everything else I need to go through, but I don't think that's going to happen, even though I don't have the results yet, my dr. said it "didn't look good", he said by the looks of it, the abnormal cells are still there, and the cervix bled very easily when he did the pap. From what I've read, that's not a good sign. The thing is, there is absolutely nothing I can do about it until I recover from the heart surgery, so I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place!

The good thing of course is, that USUALLY cervical cancer is very slow growing- or so I've been told. I'm just hoping and praying that that is the case with me. After all, I deserve some kind of break, don't I?

So, it looks like you guys haven't gotten rid of me yet! I just wish I could find such a supportive board for my OHS, you know like, Open-Heart Sisters, or something. I've learned a lot here, and was pretty "prepared" for THAT surgery, the recovery period seems to be about the same for heart surgery, so I'm looking at heart surgery on May 30th, and then after about 3 months recovery, having the hyster, and then 6 weeks recovery........let's see...... I guess it will be around the middle of October-before I'm "normal" again. Which will be exactly a year since the physical I had, at which I failed all these tests in the first place. Oh well, I'll be visiting and let you know the results of this one, maybe I should have studied harder! s, Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2002, 01:57 PM

Hi Jean, gee what alot you are going through. You are most welcome at anytime to come here , thats what we are for

I hope all goes well with your heart surgery. You are sounding very sensible in saying that you will have to rest after surgery. And you are sounding very positive too,which is a good attitude to have.

cancer or pre cancer is a very slow growing cancer is the majority of cases. Please remember what happened to me is very , very unusual. A hysterectomy is all that is usually required to remove any abnormal cells.

So you get as healthy as you can in these next few weeks before surgery and then rest up and recuperate after in readiness for the hyster. And remember we are always here for you. love always x x x
Unread 05-14-2002, 02:17 PM

s Jean

I remember you!!! Glad you stopped back. WOW!!! Your plate is full, but you sure sound upbeat about it all. That's half the battle. Best wishes with the valve surgery. Let us know how it goes. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

s karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2002, 05:16 PM
{{{Jean}}}

You sure are dealing with alot of things with a great sense of humor. I am glad you are still joking around, as that will help you so much as you go through these surgeries.

As Robyn said, please know you are always welcome. You don't have to be having a hyst right away to be posting. We have ladies on the boards all day and night if you need a hug or need to vent, we are here for you. We don't want you to be alone as you face these surgeries. Our hearts are always open for you. {pun intended}

I am putting you on my prayer list and I will think of you every day. Please keep us updated. We like to follow our sisters on their journey.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 05-14-2002, 11:17 PM

Hi Jean,

My mom used to say "when it rains, it pours" and it sure does seem to fit your situation. I'm so sorry you have to have all this on your mind.

Yes, they do say that it is a slow progression. I had my first abnormal pap in Nov '99 and didn't have the hyst until Jan '01. In between I had the colposcopy, pap, cone, pap, etc. The pap done in Sept '00 (3 mo after the cone) came back abnormal and it was then that he suggested the hyst and he agreed that I could wait until after the holidays. So even if I hadn't asked to put it off, it would have been 11 mo's between the first dx and the surgery. I did fine and the path report showed no invasive cancer.

Wishing you the best of luck with your heart surgery and recovery.
Unread 05-23-2002, 09:58 PM
Pap results not as suspected, not good

Well ladies, thank you so much for your responses. I got the results back today from my pap last week, and yes the severe dysplasia/CIS is still there. I don't think it's any worse than it was before the cone, but probably not any better either.

I spoke with the of the gyn that will be doing my hyster today, she called the cardio's office and said we're probably looking at mid-July to early August for the hysterectomy depending on how well I heal from the heart surgery, which is one week from today.

It's going to be a looooooonnnnnnnnnnggg summer

Jean
Unread 05-24-2002, 07:38 AM

s Jean

I am so sorry to hear your pap was still bad.
Heart surgery one week from today!!!! Will they be able to repair your valve or will it be replaced? Hopefully it can be repaired and the surgery will be easier for you to recover from?
I guess you just have to take it all one step at a time. You sure sound like a strong, determined woman!!
Please have someone post here next weekend to tell us how you are doing. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

s karenann
Unread 05-25-2002, 06:53 AM

{{Jean}}

I'm so sorry the pap still came back bad. I'm very glad to hear its not worse than before though.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers during your heart surgery and recovery. I hope the weather is beautiful for you to enjoy during your recovery (helped mine ) and that you'll soon be all healed up and ready to go for the hyst.

Please do have someone let us know how your surgery goes next week, we'll anxiously be waiting to hear.

Until then, here's some more 's

{{Hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 05-25-2002, 07:55 AM

Jean,
Including you in my thoughts and prayers!!
Its quite a summer you have ahead of you for sure. I am wishing you all the best with your heart surgery and recovery next week.

Once your 2 surgeries are over and you are well on the road to recovery, just think how well you will be feeling by Christmas, and by next summer this will all be well behind you. I think you should start planning a wonderful vacation for when you are recovered from both surgeries and feeling wonderful!!

Sending lots of hugs and prayers (((Jean))))!!
Maria xoxo
Unread 05-25-2002, 02:20 PM

Hi Jean

I just wanted to add another and wish you the best with your upcoming surgery. Please post again when you feel well enough after your surgery.

I will for you.

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register