I'm worried about my Mum | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm worried about my Mum I'm worried about my Mum

Unread 05-14-2002, 04:35 PM
I'm worried about my Mum

Hi folks

My mum was diagnosed with uterine cancer last week and underwent a TAH with vertical incision yesterday. I would be grateful for any information that any hystersisters could give me on this as everything is just so hazy at the moment. She is postmenopausal but started bleeding about 12 months ago following treatment for abnormal cervix cells. They told her it was just an infection she had, they kept giving her antibiotics and because of this didn't go back. She went for her 12 month check-up a few weeks ago and the Dr finally decided to give her a D&C - she also got a smear test (which turns out to be negative).

She had the surgery yesterday and apparently the surgery went 'reasonably' well - what the hell does that mean? I'm out of my mind with worry for her and my Dad. Any advice would be most appreciated

Yvonne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2002, 04:55 PM
I'm worried about my Mum

Hi Yvonne,

The best I can do is suggest that you (and/or Mum) get the doctor on the phone and ask for specifics - did they get it all, what happens next (chemo?), etc. Don't take vague, dismissive answers - make the doctor explain everything until you really understand what's going on.

You might also check in on the "Cancer Concerns" board here - I'm sure those ladies will have some better ideas for you.

Meanwhile, your mother is lucky to have you, 'cause you'll know how to help her - having "been there" not too long ago yourself.

All the best to you and Mum!
Unread 05-14-2002, 08:18 PM
I'm worried about my Mum

{{{Yvonne}}}

Of course you're worried!!! I think horsewoman had some good advice. Doctors are busy but if you are persistent they will explain. Also, I don't know the conventions there, but here in the States we can get a copy of our pathology report, so we can find out exactly what they found. It takes a number of days for the report to come in, so maybe you'll find out more then. And maybe teh docs themselves only know so much right now. They know how the surgery went ("well") but are waiting for the pathology to know what happens next.

If you do a search here in Cancer Concerns, you'll see that a lot of sisters here have dealt with uterine cancer and are doing fine. Or better yet, look for the posts and story of Molly--she had a bad aggressive case, but she's doing fine three years later. This IS beatable.

We'll keep you and your mother in our prayers and DO let us know what you learn and how she's doing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2002, 09:38 AM
Hi Yvonne

There are many of us here that have had Uterine or Endometrial Cancer. We are doing just fine. The terms uterine and endometrial are used interchangeably wehn referring to the cancer in the endometrial lining of the uterus. Of course it can invade the actual uterus too. Fortunately the cancer is usually got early before that happens. Although your mum's cancer was not caught right away the prognosis is still probably very good as it is a very slow growing cancer. Hysterectomy is the cure.
Yes, Trish is correct in that here we can request copies of our surgery reports and pathology reports. Please ask for this. At the very least your mum and you should be able to find out from the doc what stage or grade the cancer was. The lower the grade the better. The reports will also tell you if there were any cancer cells anywhere else.
For most of us with this type of cancer, presuming the stage or grade is low, we do not have to have chemo or radiation. But if she does need that there are other women here who have walked that road too and are doing well.
Please let us know if we can answer any more questions.
There are alot of 's here with lot's of experience to share and shoulder's to lean on.
Unread 05-15-2002, 04:52 PM
I'm worried about my Mum

HI, EVIE
PLEASE DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT MUM,

I THINK UTERINR AND ENDOMETRIAL CANCER ARE ALMOST OR
EXACTLY THE SAME.
IT IS A SLOW GROWING CANCER AND IF IT IS CONTAINED THAN
THERE IS NOT A WHOLE LOT TO WORRY ABOUT.
GET THE PATHOLOGY REPORT AND SEE WHAT THAT SAYS.
I'M SURE IF YOUR MUM NEEDS NO FURTHER TREATMENT THIS IS BEST.
IF SHE DOES THAT'S O.K. TOO.
REMEMBER, THIS IS A SLOW GROWING AND VERY CUREABLE
KIND OF CANCER.
YOUR MUM WILL DO JUST FINE I'M SURE. TO YOU
AND MUM.
Unread 05-15-2002, 08:53 PM
I'm worried about my Mum

Hi Yvonne!

I'm so sorry your mom had to go through this. I don't know a whole lot about this particular type of cancer but the gals have given you some good descriptions.

I would most certainly see if the Dr can give you more specific information regarding his comments while you are waiting for the operative and/or pathology report. He may or may not have been referring to the cancer portion but possibly the surgery in general. Did he mention anything about how it went in general? Just grasping at straws here so I thought I'd mention it.

I hope everything turns out well and the cancer was caught at a early stage. Please know we will all be keeping your mom and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 05-17-2002, 04:15 PM
I'm worried about my Mum

Hi and thanks to everyone for such kind words. My Mum still hasn't had the report (apparently they've still to type it up!) although she came through the surgery, a few problems with her blood pressure and a very low pulse but all things considering she's doing great.

The doc told her that she has stage 2 grade b so the cancer was in her cervix and uterus - although the smear or pap test didn't pick this up. She's got to have radiotheraphy as well. She's very positive and so are the rest of the family, worried sick but standing right behind her - problem now is that she's bored - but hey at least I can empathise with her on that one! On a positive note she wants to swap notes on our op procedures!

I'll keep you up-to-date on what's happening

Thanks again for you support, I know the difference this site made to me when I was going through stuff 18 months ago.

Yvonne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register