Where, oh where, is the New Woman?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Where, oh where, is the New Woman?? Where, oh where, is the New Woman??

Unread 05-14-2002, 06:05 PM
Where, oh where, is the New Woman??

Where, oh Where is the New Woman??

2 wk po here and seems EVERYONE said you will feel like a NEW WOMAN when you do this.........well now they say " oh it will take 6 mo or so before you REALLY feel your best"!...........so let's ask the dr........who says " everything you are experiencing is normal" and "will get better"

Ok, I know this all takes time and that I will someday feel new, but for now I need to vent. Actually this is the first day since surg that I feel like sitting up to type!!!

I really "thought" and don't know why, what a break, 6 weeks off work, people waiting on me, gifts, flowers, watching TV in bed all day, never putting makeup or clothes on, and NO more bleeding???!!!

But I forgot I already was suffering from hormone imbalance and was in pain and a fog, and had lost my mind, so who was to think anyway???

So 1 wk po and I suddenly discharge bloody flo that doc says is normal and may last a while, possibly months? The bladder spasms hit from day one and they continue. I cry to pee or poo. I can't hold bladder long at all or I really pay. God forbid you get the tiniest amount of pains, because your bladder screams too. Did I mention this flo has an awful smell and I feel dirty 24/7? Also the nightsweats. At first I thought they only hit when I was changing patches??? I get chills before bed and a temp up to 101, then go to bed and sweat all night! One minute I am hot and the next cold. I fill the sheets and gown with sweat and then get out of bed to change and freeze to death. So imagine your room and bathroom between sweating all night and that discharge and the trash full of stinky pads???

Yesterday my dizziness comes back and blurred vision?? Could it be hormonal again?? I guess. , but that means here we go with the hormone switching and patches. First I thought the patch was surgical tape and removed it. Was scolded by nurse and it was replaced to which I suffered from the HA's, and nightsweats that day and nite. After filling my rx, I was given generic which I couldn't get to stick, so I wasted 2 and went back for name brand and changed 2-3 times during that and suffered HA and more sweats. So I still wear the last generic but think it must not be holding me, right??

And cravings?? Where are they coming from?? Is this normal?? Before surg I was anemic and still trying to build my blood, but my craving for meat is so strong that if a cow passed me, I swear I would take it down!!
I crave steak 24/7 and now cheese?? And I never drank water, never could. Major diet coke, caffeine free, drinker, but now I cannot get enough........I dream of ice cold water??? What is up with that??

And oh, Lifetime TV?? I realized it is not ALL that great. After 1 wk I am tired of it........tired of my couch, my bed, my house..........so I ventured to Walmart SuperCenter and Lord have mercy what again was I thinking!!! I thought I would pass out before I could get to a seat. And of all times, my wmsc took out those darn benches I used to laugh at!! My dh thought he would have to carry me! And when I do I feel that stomach hangin low and heavy.

So saying all that, today I felt a tiny surge of energy I haven't seen, and my cravings were filled, and I researched on computer and didn't turn on Lifetime. Again today, dh changed sheets, washed gowns, and emptied bathroom trash. And I people, put on clothes!!!! So maybe, I see a little sign or someone new on the horizon, or could this be a tease before a setback??? I don't know, but if any of you see that "new woman" around, tell her please, please, that I am looking for her and am ready!!!

kaymac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2002, 06:19 PM

Awwww, Kaymac

It sounds like you're having such a tough time. I'm still an LIW so, I don't have any words of wisdom whatsoever. Just know that we hate that it's all so overwhelming for you right now.

Cecee
Unread 05-14-2002, 06:38 PM

I "almost" know how you feel. I to am two weeks post op and this is the first time I have felt like getting on the computer. I attempted once to post after my surgery and found so many errors in my spelling that I didn't post. Guess it was the pain meds! I kept my ovaries but still have the night sweats and I too am tired of that couch. To make matters worse, my DH works nights which means he needs to sleep during the day and with the TV on I'm afraid it is interfering with his rest so I have had the closed captioning on and have been reading all my soaps!!!

I'm sooooo ready to go back to work! I never thought I'd say that!

I also had my bladder tacked and thought I had a bladder infection because it caused so much pain when I peed, so I went to see my Dr. yesterday. After waiting 2 hours in those most uncomfortable chairs he said I did have one and put me on antibiotics. It seems like I've been taking antibiotics since I was admitted into the hospital. I asked my Dr. if it was ok to start driving at 2 weeks, which is what the discharge papers said, and he said no, 4 weeks! And, I my boss is expecting me back at work next Monday. (I work behind a desk all day, so I didn't think that would be a problem. But I now am realizing that sitting for long periods of time kills me!)

I ventured out to Walmart too this past weekend, and I paid dearly for it and still am! I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forward with this pain!

So far the only good thing to come out of this whole thing is that I didn't have to come home with a catheter. My bladder started functioning on it's own the day after surgery. I was really dreading that part!

Just hang in there, I'm sure it will get better soon. We may feel wiped out for a while but look at the long run, we'll feel much better!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2002, 06:51 PM

I think you will catch sight of that new woman just around the corner. I am almost 4 weeks post op and finally feel almost normal--which is amazing considering my first 2 weeks. I was miserable--headaches, fog, dizziness, no energy, sleeplessness. About 3 weeks I really turned the corner. I know everyone is different and I had a TVH and still have ovary. But I would get dizzy if I stood and talked to anyone for more than 2 minutes at 2 weeks. Now I can walk and talk and make sense! Today I worked my first day (only 1/2) and came home and took a nap. But I was back up and ready to go get a haircut and take DD to the mall. Hang in there!

Blessings,
Barb
Unread 05-14-2002, 07:18 PM
Okay, Now I'm Scared!

After reading your posts, I'm now scared out of my wits!!! I'm still a LIW, just one week, one day, and a wake-up to go. But if it's going to be that bad, maybe I should stop now before it's too late!

Guess I should stay on my own board, and stop straying over here for a preview of things to come!

YIKES!!!!

Lisa (Scampering quickly back to the other side of the tracks!)
Unread 05-14-2002, 07:22 PM

Kaymac, It WILL get better......Trust me!!!!!!!! Be patient. At 4 weeks post op I posted my fear of being ready to go back to work at 8 weeks post op. Well I'm 6 weeks post op and I am ready!!!!!!!!!Just give it time! Think possitive and don't over do it! angela
Unread 05-14-2002, 08:12 PM

Hi! I think it would be a good idea to talk to dr. Your 101 degree temp. , and the discharge's very disagreeable smell *** could be the signs of an infection.***

The cravings and feeling cold were normal for me.

You might also want to get some additional help in the Hormone Jungle. They would have more insight into the hormone issues.

You are just a new princess. It does take some time for the NewWoman to appear. Right now you should stop trying to find her and rest and recover. She will just appear one day. No need to look for her at WalMart. Actually, she will be along sooner if you take it easy more. That feeling at WalMart was your body saying, this is too much for me!

You won't have to wait the whole 6 months before you feel good again. You will see it coming a little at a time. Sometimes a step backwards, too. Try not to get discouraged. But if you do, know I did,too. Some days I thought it would never happen. The NewWoman, I mean. One of these weeks you will see her in the distance moving closer and becoming more real all the time.

I am 41/2 months post op and I feel really good, I have for a number of weeks now. And I am a little on the slow side of normal. I still tire easily, but, I FEEL GOOD!!! Major Surgery just takes alot out of you. (no pun intended).

Have patience! You will get there. Just be careful so you won't hit any speed bumps along the way, o.k.?
Unread 05-15-2002, 04:27 AM

Hi Kay!!!

I wanted to pop in and ask as noone has addressed this and I am wondering if this is what is hindering your recovery....

You mention a fever of 101.0!!! temps this high need to be investatgated!!! there is something going on wether it is UTI or bladder or something else...

Please call your doc if you still have this fever!!!!! This is important..

Please post and let me know....I will worry

Dawn
Unread 05-15-2002, 05:30 AM

Just wanted to offer some encouragement. I'm 6 wks post op and finally feeling better.
I go back to work next week, and I feel ready. But let me tell you, just 1 wk ago, I too was feeling like I'd never be good again.
I think you should call the Dr. about the fever,that isn't normal ,sounds like an infection and that could cause you to feel bad. Another thing is, I tried the patches too, they didn't work for me. I had a hard time getting them to stay on. With the patches I felt weepy, had night sweats and was very irritable. Dr. swithched me to pills and everything has evened out.
I feel bad for you, but trust me it does get better, and I wondered if it reallyever would.
Hang in there, the new woman is waiting around the corner. She won't be here in 6 weeks, but she'll give you a peek at what she'll be like.
Unread 05-15-2002, 04:55 PM
Well sisters....

I appreciate the replys. I did not run the 101 last night and didn't have nightsweats. However, I am still running 99.8 or 100.3 by now. I am going to call the doc tomorrow and ask about this. But he did mention to me that I may run low grade fever and if it goes over 101 to call??? So technically 100.8 isn't over, but who knows??? I need to talk about the patch to him and the results of my pathology report and don't think I can wait till next Wed.

But the good news is last evening I started feeling better. I sat up longer, and moved around without bladder spasms or too much pain, and slept well last night. I also got up this morning feeling "good", not sluggish or moodless, but like a person! I went out of town to appt with rheumo doc addressing my FMS and it was a 1 1/2 hr trip two and fro. I came in laid down for 35 min and I am still ok feeling. I do have the fever and feel slightly chilled tho.

On a funny note, in the dr's office I went to pee and noticed I wasn't wearing a pad! I freaked out, thinking I had lost it somewhere, cause how could I FORGET a PAD that I have been wearing since day one of Feb????? But I did!!

But I ate a STEAK for lunch and shopped for a book about hormones, and wind up with a book I thought would help me after recovery of hyst/BSO and turns out it is a woman's opinion on how this destroyed her life and she is hellbent on letting the world know the so called "truth" about what it does to you??? So I am down about that. Will have to wait 2 wks now before exchanging it??

But I am sitting up and comfortable!!!!!

kaymac

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register