How long in hospital for TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long in hospital for TAH? How long in hospital for TAH?

Unread 05-15-2002, 10:16 AM
How long in hospital for TAH?

Hi all,

I've only posted once before and meant to ask this question. What is the average hospital stay for a TAH? I forgot to ask my doctor and will of course ask him on Monday when I go for my pre op appt, but kind of want to plan.

I am so nervous and scared! I only have 7 more days before the surgery.

I'm so glad I found this sight.

Thanks to all. :

Shellye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2002, 10:21 AM
hospital stay

Somebody told me 4 days, but my doctor took my staples out and sent me home after 3 days. I think it depends on whether your body is performing all functions of elimination without assistance and whether they think you will be active enough to avoid blood clots. Good luck!
Unread 05-15-2002, 10:27 AM
Stay

Well I guess it depends on how well u recover and then. I just got 72 hrs from my insurance Co. But my doc is so wonderful he said if he didn't think I was ready to go home then he would call and tell them and I would be staying until he thought it would be good for me to go home. just talk to your doctor and see what he/she has to say. Good Luck.

I wont be here next week to see how that visit goes so e-mail me and let me know I will be in the castle

Marialice
Oklahoma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2002, 10:27 AM
Hi

Yes, I think the average is about 3 days. Some women are coming home in 2. I was in 6 days.
I was doing really well but they had to wait until they were sure the bowels were working. In my case just meant passing gas but it took awhile. Then the doc who was making rounds for my doc forgot to stop in and see me and release me once that happened.
So I was in about 2 extra days. I didn't mind though. I had a private room and was very comfortable. It was nice to have the extra re-coup time before my one hour drive to get to my mom's where I was staying for recovery.
You're almost there. Hang in there. It is going to do just fine.
Unread 05-15-2002, 10:35 AM

My surgery for TAH/BSO was on a Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. and I went home on Thursday afternoon. Even though I had a private room, cable t.v., and the nurses were great, I was SO much more comfortable at home.

Glad to be on the other side! I like it here!!!!!
Best Wishes to you,
Susan
Unread 05-15-2002, 10:44 AM
Hospital Stay

Just wanted to add my input on hospital stay. I went in on a tuesday morning surgery was at 7:30 am, I wasnt aloud to come home until Friday afternoon. On the other hand my sister had her TAH a month later and went in on Friday morning and was home by Sunday early afternoon. I figure it all depends on how you are feeling and what the doctor feels. Hope this helps in any way.

Good Luck in pre-op appointment and your surgery.

Hugs

Jen
Unread 05-15-2002, 10:46 AM
(((((((((((((((((((((((Shellye)))))))))))))))))))))

I am having surgery on the 29th (2 weeks from today!) and I am getting nervous myself. I am sooooooooo glad to be having the surgery, but the last few days I have experienced moodiness and agitation about the surgery.
Hope all goes well! Keep us posted and be sure and follow the orders.
hugs to hold you over,
Tammy
Unread 05-15-2002, 10:47 AM

My insurance approved me for 2 days for a TAH. I don't know if it is long enough or not. She said she may extend it if necessary. It seems short to me.
Unread 05-15-2002, 06:42 PM

My surgery was at 2PM on Tuesday, I had my staples out Thursday AM and was home by 5PM. My insurance co had approved 2 nights in the hospital. I had no complaints about the care I received in the hospital but I was happy to go home to my own bed.

If there are complications or your DR doesn't think you are ready to go home they can easily call and get authorization for additional days.
Unread 05-15-2002, 08:51 PM

I'll just throw in my two cents worth here. My ins. company has approved me for 3 days. I am also having a TAH on 5/22 so we will be in the castle the same day. What time is your surgery? I'm scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register