How long in hospital for TAH? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long in hospital for TAH? How long in hospital for TAH?

Unread 05-16-2002, 02:59 AM
How long in hospital for TAH?

Hi, I'm another LIW for the 22nd. My doc says 2 days. I guess I'll see next week!
Let's do lunch or chocolate chip cookies!
Kathleen

May Flower, too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 06:03 AM
Hey LIW for 5/22!

I'm scheduled for 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday the 22nd. It is now less than a week and I have so much to do.

My surgery is going to be done and The Woman's Hospital of Texas in Houston.

Good luck to all of you.

Shellye
Unread 05-16-2002, 06:44 AM

I, too, was wondering about the length of the hospital stay. I am scheduled for surgery on May 30th. I contacted my insurance company and they said that I am scheduled to be admitted on May 30th and discharged on June 1st. The doctor can extend the stay if necessary, but that is the way it stands as of now. I haven't been for my pre-op, yet. I'm sure my doctor will tell me what I can expect. If I'm alive, then I'm sure I'll be wanting to go home as quickly as possible. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 07:25 AM
TAH hospital stay

Best of luck to all of you awaiting your TAH (and others!)

I had a TAH and Burch bladder repair on April 3. I am now 6 weeks post op, and doing fine except for the infection that I got sometime in the hospital. I was in the hospital for 5 days.

I would suggest that if you aren't taking Vitamin C or a multivitamin, that you consider starting them as soon as possible. You can continue taking these while you're in the hospital, but only with your dr's permission. These will help with the incision healing. Most of all, be kind to yourself, and understand that there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. I don't regret having mine done for anything, and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

The world will still be waiting for you after you recover, so give yourself a chance to rest and get better first. You'll be amazed at how good you feel after awhile.

By the way, for those of you awaiting surgery, if you suffer from stress incontinence, ('dribbling' when you cough, laugh, or sneeze) now is the time to talk to your doc about it. Most know how to do the surgery that suspends your bladder and can virtually eliminate this problem. I am so glad I had it done. It is quite common to have this problem if you've had large children at birth. This procedure has made all the difference in the world for me. (It is also the reason why a regular 3 day stay turned in to 5, but they want to make sure your bladder is working fine.) Best of all, it is usually covered by insurance. For those of you who are going to be going in shortly, just give your doc a quick call--(that's what I did), and everything got lined up quickly.

Bless you all in your upcoming surgeries--you will do great!
Remember, you're in good hands.

Saved_one

TAH with right ovary saved/Large dermoid cyst/endometrial implant/fibroids/Burch bladder repair---I can do this without leaking!
Unread 05-16-2002, 07:30 AM

Hi~~ I had a TAH/BSO and I was in for 48 hours. Good luck to you and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Darla
Unread 05-16-2002, 09:05 AM

I had a TAH/appendectomy on Friday, May 10. My insurance company had approved 2 days. Was supposed to go home Sunday, but I developed a bladder infection and went home Monday. By Monday I was feeling great! Walking all over the hospital waiting for my DR to release me.
Unread 05-16-2002, 09:27 AM

They will release you when you are able to do the following:
1. pee
2. poop
3. walk to the bathroom
That's why it's important to drink, drink, drink. They will give you Colase or another stool softener to get that end going.
They won't release you if you have a fever, blood pressure not stable or lungs don't sound good. THa'ts why it's important to use the spirometer (the thing you blow into) alot!!!! It's helps clear your lungs and decrease a fever if you have one.
For a TAH, 48 hour hospitaliztion is about the minimum.
Good luck.
Unread 05-16-2002, 09:59 AM

I had my surgery on monday at about noon and was home before noon on Wednesday. No staples Had surgistrips across my swell belly. They just came off on their own (almost) in about 2 weeks. I was glad to see no staples, I saw the marks they left on my husband.

Good Luck to all you LIW. The waiting is the worst part of it all.
Unread 05-16-2002, 10:05 AM

I had a TAH/RSO with Cervix removed. I went in on a Friday surgery at 10am and was released by noon on Sunday. It will depend on how you are recovering personally but average is 2 days. I am now 9wks post-op and it is definetly better on the post op side. The hardest part is the waiting and your almost there best wishes. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sherri
Unread 05-16-2002, 02:46 PM
Hi All

Thought you all might find this of interest. It is from our Polling Place forum. If you haven't been there it is an interesting poll of many topics of interest to all of us.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=51907

P.S. You can request poll threads going back further in time by using the menu at the bottom.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register