Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 13, 2015 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 13, 2015 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 13, 2015

Unread 09-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 13, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by K915 View Post
Hi. There is comfort hearing from other women having the same surgery. I am having a full hysterectomy on Tuesday 9/15 at 11:30. I have been holding myself together but now feeling nervous, mostly about recovery. I am waiting to hear about a new job on Tuesday as well. I want to be able to accept the position without worry of complications from surgery or the cancer. I am grateful to have found this website. The pre-opt suggestions are very helpful. I would not have thought of many of them.

You have a lot going on! First, I wish you the best and you are offered the job!

I am sorry to hear that you have a cancer diagnosis. If you wish, please feel free to post in the Cancer Concerns Forum or check out the GYN Cancer Articles List. We have amazing members and staff to help you along on this journey.

Please know that you are never alone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2015, 10:47 AM

This is a great link filled with tips and insight:

50 Things To Know Before Surgery
Unread 09-13-2015, 10:58 AM

kathieg and peaches3459,

Surgery and recovering with an autoimmune disease can present its own unique challenges. I also have an autoimmune disease and had definite concerns about how I would feel post op. The most important thing is to make sure all members of your healthcare team are on board and aware of your condition and medications. If you have a rheumatologist involved in your care, you may wish to have him speak directly with your surgeon. Discuss pain control before your surgery and ask whether refills will be honored. Many surgeons do not refill narcotic pain medication.

These articles may be helpful:

Fibro & Hysterectomy

Fibro & Hysterectomy Recovery

Chronic Health Concern & Hysterectomy

When you see your Anesthesiologist in pre-op, tell him everything about your condition. Even things that may not seem relevant can be very important. I have Raynaud's secondary to my connective tissue disorder and my Anesthesiologist was very interested to know this, as this can have a huge impact on my surgery.

It's also really important to try to de-stress as much as possible. Go for walks, have a bubble bath, meditate, yoga, read... whatever calms you and gives you peace. Autoimmune diseases often don't react well to stress and anxiety.

You can do this! I am wishing you the best!

:hugs2u:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik86 View Post
I have also had very bad anxiety about dying during surgery.

My final worry is about weight gain afterward. ... I am hoping that after the surgery that the problem that was preventing me from losing weight will be fixed, but I hear so many stories of ppl just naturally gaining weight after hysterectomy.
Unfortunately, many of us have this fear of dying during surgery. Being put under is a scary thing! I have seen many women here prepare their wills, etc before their surgery "just in case". Discuss your concern with your Anesthesiologist, and give him the opportunity to reassure you. You can do this!

Weight gain after hysterectomy is a bit of a misconception. Since my hysterectomy 4 years ago, I notice no difference at all in my weight or how hard/easy it is to gain or lose a few pounds.

Weight Gain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlywife View Post
Does anyone know if most are given a belly wrap type support garment in hospital to take home?
The support garment is commonly called an Abdominal Binder. Some hospitals give them out after surgery, and some do not. They are also available here at the HysterSister Store or at many medical supply shops. Some women the binders and some . My doctor never mentioned binders to me and I was not offered one in the hospital. I'm glad I didn't purchase one, as my tummy was too sore and swollen post op and I wouldn't have been able to tolerate anything snug around my tummy. Give your surgeon's office a call to see if s/he recommends a binder post op and whether one will be provided.

Unread 09-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Sep 13, 2015

Hi - I'm 39 years old and having a total hysterectomy on Friday (as long as no complications, I am keeping my ovaries). I have a very large fibroid that is continuing to grow. I am so nervous about surgery and about feeling like "me" after. I just can't seem to stop crying. I've had surgery before, but this time I just have such an impending feeling that something is going to go wrong. I can't wait for surgery to be here and be done!!! Some of my biggest concerns are post op pain and being able to resume a healthy, happy, intimate relationship with my husband when the time comes.
Unread 09-13-2015, 11:57 AM

Hello all!
I'm a 42 yr old stay at home mom with three kids (7, 13, & 22) scheduled for a LAVH leaving one or both ovaries, that could become a TAH-BSO depending on what is found when they get in there, on Tuesday the 15th at 11:30am.
I'm a little nervous about being put under, as I've never had general anesthesia before. I had a spinal block for an emergency C-Sect with my youngest but that's my only surgical experience so I'm just not sure what to expect.
I'm also wondering what to expect after surgery, recovery time, how bad and how long is the post-op bleeding going to be...just all the unknowns in general I guess. LOL
Nice to "meet" everyone here and I hope everyone's surgery goes quickly and smoothly!
Unread 09-13-2015, 12:00 PM

Hi everyone! My name is Molly, I am 37 years old and am having a total hysterectomy tomorrow at noon. I have endometrial hyperplasia (pre-cancerous), recurrent uterine polyps and suspected endometriosis. Needless to say, I've put this off long enough and look forward to the day of no periods!! I have had surgeries before, but for some reason this one has me more worried than ever. I have been keeping very busy these past few weeks, and seem ok on the outside, but inside I am a wreck.
I hope everyone does well with your surgeries this week!
Unread 09-13-2015, 12:20 PM

Hey all. My castle date is wednesday although they wont tell me the time until tuesday afternoon! Stressful as we have an hour's travel plus an hour's time difference.
My husband works nights, and although they had said they would give him tues night off so he can sleep before the busy day (well waiting day for him!) they also may call him in if they are too low staffed for the evening. Augh, I just hate not knowing. (He was approved for up to 12 weeks of FMLA, but he has no intention of taking them all! Probably 4, more or less depending how good I feel.)
So! take a breath. Ok.

I'm 51, it's just me & hubby & the dog here, I dont work outside the home, and everything except the left ovary is coming out, unless it looks bad during surgery, then it goes too. Just found out during the pre-op appointment that although he said it would be lap at first, all the stuff is coming out vaginally! I was preferring it didnt so there was no chance of injury. But my uterus is enlarged so he said he doesnt think he can take it out that way (lap). It is lap assisted. He said they do the robot thing there but, he doesnt think it's appropriate for me because of my size (overweight) and I suspect because he is 66 years old and not used to "newfangled" things!
I could sort of tell from his answers to questions that he isn't very "modern" in his ideas, he claims that it isn't settled (or something to that effect) that ovaries help you after menopause <eye roll>.
I asked about the cervix but seemed to think that was a ridiculous notion (to keep it), although of course he didn't say anything so rude.
Its ok it wasnt really a concern for me, just curious. I know people say he is a good doctor, and I dont even know the procedure for trying to get a 2nd op with my HMO. Just know it would take a long time, and I do agree with his initial assessment- that I want to get this over with, been in pain from a (to borrow a word from another lady who's posts I loved but can't recall the name of) "traitorous" ovary for so many years I can't even recall when it started, seems like from birth! =P Ok maybe not.
Now the fibroid apparently is causing me to have bleeding/discharge issues nearly the entire cycle & my husband wants his wife back, if you get my drift. I certainly agree.

My emotions are so haywire, but really that started before I even knew I was going to have this operation. This didnt help any though! I was so looking forward to this "open house chat" and yet today i just look at it and feel "blah..." I dont want to do anything, say anything ... rather go and hide I guess. But I forced myself to get in here because I know it's just bizarro emotions.
I have to wonder though if after this the emotional rollercoaster will just get worse or not, with even less estrogen.
I have been having hotflashes since I got my surgery started as well, I guess my body just couldnt wait any longer for the meno to kick in! I had been peri for sure, but now it's becoming much more evident. smh. Sometimes I wonder if I am even doing the right thing.
But most likely, i just think too much!
I definitely talk too much
Unread 09-13-2015, 12:41 PM

Hello everyone! I just finished drinking my magnesium citrate for bowel prep! Fun! :-) I am scheduled for a total vaginal hysterectomy leaving right ovary (if in good condition) tomorrow at noon. I had my left tube and ovary removed in '99. As far as I know, this is completely vaginal. Dr paper says vaginal, insurance preauth says lap assist. Guess either is OK with me. I have had abnormal uterine bleeding for years, as well as crazy pain with periods. I am 44,have had 3 vaginal births and know we are done with that aspect, but still feel a little emotional about the finality of it. After all, we have been told since we were young girls that our periods, therefore our uterus etc, is what makes us women! Mostly nervous about nausea! I HATE to be nauseous or throw up. Last time I threw up was in labor with my first (19.5 years ago) and that was from the morphine they gave me to help me rest. I plan to stress to the anesthesiologist that I'd rather be in pain than nauseous! I have also instructed my DH to use those exact words if I should be too loopy to say so myself!
So, best of luck to all my soon to be HysterSisters! May we all feel SO much better than we do now!
Unread 09-13-2015, 12:53 PM

Hi Farmfresh
that's sure not like me, I can't handle pain at all. Nausea isn't fun either but easier for me to handle, just really do NOT want to be puking. Sadly I can't even remember if I got very nauseated after my tubal as it was about 25 years ago. Pretty sure that was the only time as an adult I went under general. The only clear memory of my childhood surgeries is begging for water which they refused then relented and gave me a wet washrag to chew on, and of course I promptly puked. O.o

I have to do an enema but the nurse stressed it was NOT a full bowel prep, happily I had no idea what one even was before, and hope i never have to know in any more detail, the enema (my first) is disconcerting enough O.o I thought they only did that in hospitals and included that huge IV-like bag! Relieving to know it's easier these days but still slightly troubling...my bathroom floor is HARD, and getting up off ANY floor is difficult for me anymore, so dont think Im gonna be using the "lay on the bathroom floor" model.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register