Very nervous and scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very nervous and scared Very nervous and scared

Unread 05-15-2002, 04:15 PM
Very nervous and scared

I am new at this, so I will start at the beginning. I am 47 years old and in 1983 had a etopic pregnancy. I had a C-section cut to go in and stop the bleeding. In 1988, I had my endometriosis lasered. In 1992, I had my fibroids removed through another C-section cut. In 1997 I had two cysts removed from each ovary.
In 2001, I had to get my bowel resectioned because of endometriosis. Now in April and May I have been bleeding off and on and I am now anemic.
My ob-gyn retired in December, so when I started to experience problems last month I went to see his partner. He gave me an ultrasound and said my fibroids were back. He also did a biopsy of my uterus but that came back insufficient tissue for a diagnoses. Dr. # 1 perscribed aygestrin to stop the bleeding, but this made me sick.

I saw another Dr. last week. He was thinking about doing a UEA, but after examing me he said I would need a hysterectomy. Take my cervix, but leave my ovaries. Pre-op lupron and post-op lupron for six months to get rid of any endo that was still around.
He also had be get an MRI to try to rule out adenomyosis.

I am still bleeding, the MRI report came back with Enlarged myonatiyr uterus. Three large fibroids, one impinging on the canal. Also I have diffuse adenomyosis. A 5 cm unilocular left ovarian cyst. Small cysts in the right ovary which are likely physiologic.

I went to see Dr. #3 on recommendation of my gastro. doctor.
Dr. #3 is a ono-obgyn. He suggested another biopsy and also a hysterectomy. Leave my cervix, but take out my ovaries because they could give me problems down the road ie. ovarian cancer. He said 1 out of 50 women will develop this down the road. He also agree with lupron treatment pre-op, but not post-op. I told his I wanted to keep my ovaries. He said that would be my decision.

I will probably seek one more opinion. I am so confused and scared. I am anemic so I cannot give a pint of my own blood in case of complications.

Any suggestions on this.

Thank you so much for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2002, 04:51 PM
HUGS!!!!

Hi

While I don't have much experience with the symptoms you describe, I wanted to send s your way!! What type of doctors were you seeing for the first and second opinions? I see the third was a ob-gyn. I'm sure many will come along here to give you some good advice. Hang in there, and I know everything will turn out all right. The scary "pre" stuff is the hardest to deal with.
Unread 05-15-2002, 06:15 PM
Very nervous and scared

Hi and welcome to Hystersisters.

Get as many opinions as you need to be sure of what your decision will be, and also which DR you are the most comfortable with and have the most confidence in.

It is completely normal to feel scared, especially with 3 DR's telling you 3 different approaches to your treatment. If you go to the top of the page you will see some purple buttons. If you click the "search" button you can type in a word or phrase you would like more info on and related threads will come up.

Occasionally a transfusion is necessary, I lost a lot of blood during surgery, but I didn't require a transfusion. Instead they gave me extra IV's to increase my volume. My DR said she doesn't allow her patients to donate their own blood, because their tanks were low to begin with and she wants them as full as possible. Have any of the DR's you have seen recommended or prescribed iron supplements? That's something to check on.

Come and ask all the questions you need to, there is tons of support and comfort here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2002, 09:06 PM
Very nervous and scared

Hi Kerswim,

Wow, I felt like reaching out and giving you a hug - you sure sound like you could use one.

Of course, I agree with all the advice you have gotten so far, which is to take your time and make sure you are entirely comfortable with your decision. One thing that I used to always post is that you are not only a patient, you are a customer paying for a service. Remember that while your MD or MDs may do this kind of surgery 2-5 times per week it only happens to you once in your life so you are entitled to have all of your questions answered and all of your fears addressed.

I can tell you that this part is a good chunk of the "hard part". The agonzing and confusion is very stressful and of course just makes you feel worse when you are already feeling poorly. Make sure you get all the info you need and then be confident in your decision. As one who suffered from adeno, endo, and fibroids I can tell you that my experience has been positive. I feel so much better since my surgery and while no one can guarantee that your experience will be the same, I would suspect that you might feel better after all is said and done. Come back often because the women here are the best. They will lend you their "ears" and open their hearts and that is an amazing amount of comfort.

Best wishes!

Julie
Unread 05-16-2002, 07:31 AM
Thank you.

Thank you for all that have posted to me so far. I feel alot better knowing that there are others out there who are feeling the same way as me. I am at work now, but each day is such a stuggle, because I am so tired.

Thanks again,

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register