Pads vs. Tampons | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pads vs. Tampons Pads vs. Tampons

Unread 05-16-2002, 05:58 AM
Pads vs. Tampons

I haven't seen anything about this on this site yet. Maybe because it's obvious to everyone but me but here goes. I have read that some women bleed after surgery for quite awhile. Does anyone ever use tampons after surgery or is it just pads?

LADY IN WAITING AND GETTING ANXIOUS TO GET THIS OVER WITH

ONLY 12 DAYS LEFT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 06:10 AM
Pads or Tampons!

Hi Jackie,

I don't know about others, but I have always heard from doctors that after any procedure (i.e. cervical biopsy or uterine biopsy) it is better to wear the pads to avoid infection. I can't say whether that is 100% accurate though. What do you think ladies????

Good luck.

Shellye
Unread 05-16-2002, 06:16 AM
Pads vs. Tampons

No tampons or anything inside the vagina. You have stitches inside the vagina that are holding things together where the cervix used to be if you are having a total (uterus and cervix). I had antibiotics while in the hospital to prevent infection but still got an infection anyway. It was three months before I was allowed to have anything inside again. Any bright red bleeding after surgery should be reported to the dr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 10:18 AM
Pads vs. Tampons

I was told nothing inside the vagina until okayed by my doc. I don't think I would have wanted anything in there anyway! Go back for my post op tomorrow and still not sure I want anything in there even though she may say sex is now okay.
Unread 05-16-2002, 10:28 AM
Pads vs. Tampons

Hi, Jackie,

The ladies are so correct. Most doctors won't allow anything to be placed inside the vagina for at least six weeks after a hysterectomy.

That includes no sex, no tampons, etc. You'll have many tiny internal stitches, and you won't want to risk damaging the delicate surgical work done by your doctor.

For most of us, that means finding some other use for those tampons.

I had no bleeding or drainage after my hysterectomy, so I've never needed a sanitary pad or tampon again. Yay!

Best wishes,
Helen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register