Recap of pre-op appt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recap of pre-op appt Recap of pre-op appt

Unread 05-16-2002, 07:37 AM
Recap of pre-op appt

Well all went well with the pre-op. Now it seems so real!

He is removing cervix...thank goodness...don't want any mini-periods.

2-3 day stay in the hospital.

He said the catheter will be in for at least 24 hours. I've had them before but they have always removed it before I came to. Are they painful? Can you feel it? Does it hurt when they take it out? Getting nervous!

Oh...he did say to stock up on prune juice

Any info on the catheter would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 09:19 AM
Recap of pre-op appt

I had my catheter in for 24 hours or so too. It didn't actually hurt but you may have the feeling of needing to pee more frequently. The weird thing is just lying there and peeing instead of getting up and going to the toilet. As I recall it didn't hurt coming out - just felt a weird kind of pressure and a little sting.

Good luck!

Julie
Unread 05-16-2002, 09:21 AM
Recap of pre-op appt

My catheter was removed the morning after sugery. I didn't feel a bit of pain. Maybe the morphine pump had something to do with that

I couldn't do the prune juice it made me
I ate a lot of fruits and vegetables and a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and had no problem with constipation at all. I also ate very small amounts frequently

And don'r forget to lots of water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 10:47 AM
Catheter

If you have read any of my posts you will see I am VERY worried about catheters! LOL Well I have been cathed twice in the last two weeks for bladder tests. You will most likely be asleep when they do cath you before surgery. You can request this ahead of time. You really shouldn't feel it too much when you wake up. IF you feel like you need to pee, the cath may need to be adjusted a bit. This happened to me during my C-section. A not so nice nurse handled me a bit roughly. I was still awake when they cathed me. I told her it was REALLY bothering me! She shrugged and said it would get better. OK...I'm 21, never been cathed. I must be a big baby. Moved into OR and big lovely older nurse asked me if I was OK. Told her about the cath. She whips the blankets off of me <there were 10 people in the room and I DIDN'T CARE!> and pulled down slightly on the cath. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Such sweet relief! The not so nice nurse had put it up to high and my bladder was compressed against my baby's head! <geesh> When the cath came out the next day it was a quick burning. 5 seconds. It won't compare to your incision pain! You will be fine. Remember to take deep breaths when they remove it.
Unread 05-16-2002, 11:31 AM
Recap of pre-op appt

I had a cath 12 years ago when i had the c-section to have my son.
I vaguely remember them putting it in but i was fully alert when they removed it before i was released to go home....maybe i am the odd woman out but it didnt hurt or bother me when they removed it.

Unread 05-16-2002, 11:36 AM
Recap of pre-op appt

You will probably be out when they put the catheter in. Mine was in for 24 hours after surgery. I didn't have any sensation of having to go while it was in. When the nurse took it out she said "you may feel a little pull, there it's out", I didn't feel a thing. Then she helped me to the bathroom, and I had a little trickle but it was working. Drink lots of water to help get things back to normal.
Unread 05-16-2002, 12:08 PM
LOL!!

Hey Tracy,

Your post made me laugh, because it reminds me of when I was having my oldest son (22 years ago).

You go into the hospital so modest and after a few hours of strangers looking up your gown, you'll just flash anyone. Modesty goes right out the window!

Thanks for the laugh!

s

Lisa

PS Thanks for holding on to my hand, Hysterbuddy! Hang on tight! The ride is getting bumpy! (Six days and counting down!)
Unread 05-16-2002, 01:09 PM
Glad to "see" you smile

Lisa,
It's SO true about the modesty thing! When I had my bladder test yesterday there were two nurse plus the DR checking out my,,,,ya know...and we were all laughing. Not self conscious in the least! I DO hate that darn spotlight though! LOL
Big hugs for you today!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register